Sparpmaker and Spyderedge? A no go on the longterm?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Moltion

Sparpmaker and Spyderedge? A no go on the longterm?

Post by Moltion »

Hey Guys
Im confused with sharpening serrations/spyderedge. Some say do loop by loop and some say just go down with it like with a PE on the Sharpmaker.
What im concerned of now is some say the sharpmaker will SE blades transform slowly to a PE. How is the long term use of the sharpmaker with SE blades in real? Do some of you have long term experiance with that?
sal

Re: Sparpmaker and Spyderedge? A no go on the longterm?

Post by sal »

Hi Moltion,

Welcome to our forum.

I recommend that you read David's forum post on serrations.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Moltion wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm
Hey Guys
Im confused with sharpening serrations/spyderedge. Some say do loop by loop and some say just go down with it like with a PE on the Sharpmaker.
What im concerned of now is some say the sharpmaker will SE blades transform slowly to a PE. How is the long term use of the sharpmaker with SE blades in real? Do some of you have long term experiance with that?
The serrations do eventually get rounded off, but this actually gives the knife better cutting performance in many cases.

I've yet to get one to PE on accident. Here's a Tasman Salt that's been used hard for over a decade, for example:

:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah. Watch the vids, find the right angle, sharpen like a normal blade, don't worry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Moltion,

You should look into these two threads (as Sal has recommended already):

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84985

Multiple sharpenings with the sharpmaker will slowly round off the "spikes" a bit, but as Vivi has said this makes SE even better.
You'll never turn an SE edge "into PE" with a sharpmaker though. Keep in mind, you always sharpen (away) the scallops between the spikes too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People telling you this are probably also the ones who say you have to use a chainsaw file, they only work in a sawing motion, they're for people who can't sharpen their knives, they're hard to sharpen...it goes on and on. Just watch the Sharpmaker DVD video and do what Sal says. It's that simple. You may need to use a sharpie marker to color the bevel and make sure you're hitting the edge apex, and then you may need to reprofile at some point and that gets to be a lot more work, but just sharpening the knife is done almost exactly the same way as PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Should you not have the dvd: Here https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58&t=297s is the sharpmaker instructional film. I´d highly recommend watching the whole content, but if you just want to see the part about sharpening SE: It starts at 19:23 into the vid.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I will add a caveat here. If your technique with the Sharpmaker (or any other system including freehand) is bad enough, you can straighten the edge of a serrated knife. I have purchased used Spyderco knives that have had the teeth worn almost completely away. Used correctly, the Sharpmaker can restore those worn edges, deepening the scallops and bringing the teeth to more of a point. All it takes is patience and practice.
Moltion

Post by Moltion »

Thank you all.
I will watch and read all those post you recommended ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Moltion wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:29 am
Thank you all.
I will watch and read all those post you recommended ;)
Hope you´ll share how it works out for you! :)

Two recommendations that helped me ( listed in the threads anyway, but still):

- Clean the rods frequently (since with SE you only use the corners with not much surface, they clog up pretty fast)
- Use light pressure, lighter than you might think!