Using folders unlocked

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Using folders unlocked

Post by VashHash »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:45 pm
Where is the fear/concern coming from? Is it because the blade is unlocked or because it is partially open?
I guess it's the partially open knife. Not really sure honestly. Maybe some of the naysayers will chime in. I didn't ask them in the other thread because I didn't want to further derail it so I made a new one.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Buddy in the Navy use to do this but then he got bumped into a wall by someone walking behind him, his thumb slipped off the hole and his middle finger slipped between the scales and the blade, it was barely hanging on just above the first knuckle.. I've never bothered to try it after watching that happen.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've used the same technique as you do vashhash, to cut threads and minor things like that.

haven't followed the tuff thread but I don't see why this would be controversial.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure it is fine, if one is careful. It makes sense if using the knife to baton. Otherwise though, I would just open the knife. I mean, why not?
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm
So apparently this is causing a bit of a stir for some and others understand it. So let's bring it to light. Also trying to stop derailing the tuff thread. Have you ever or do you currently use your folding knives in an unlocked position for quick cuts or light task.
I'll include the original images and a side view for those that may not understand.

And the new image for those that probably think this is unsafe. Fingers are never in the blade path.

I've even used the military as a cigar cutter by putting the cigar in the last swell of the handle and closing the blade on it.

Maybe you have a different method. Please share all positive and negative opinions about this. I do this with large and small knives. Sometimes in public people don't even see the knife being used. This can be a good thing for some people.
Telling me this is a good technique is like pissing down someones back and telling them it's raining.
If you can't look at this technique and see why it's not a good idea, then It can't be explained.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 pm
Buddy in the Navy use to do this but then he got bumped into a wall by someone walking behind him, his thumb slipped off the hole and his middle finger slipped between the scales and the blade, it was barely hanging on just above the first knuckle.. I've never bothered to try it after watching that happen.
You don't say!!! I would never guess that would ever happen!!! LOL!!!

You know...because it's such a safe practice. ;) :D :D
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I do it when I’m in public and carrying a large folder, agree with the sound garnering attention. Its deferential, polite.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

my guess is that people that actually have a problem with this also prefer knives with a bias to close. i think it would be less safe with a backlock knife than with a detent knife.
I have no issues with anybody doing anything with their knives. I do prefer backlock knives with a bias but I also grew up with non locking folders and never had a locking knife until I was close to 30. OTOH I wouldn't attempt to use my knives with a partially open blade be it slippie or locking knife. I'm not taking those short cuts. I've been cut enough. :)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Is this subject any more or less controversial than cutting towards yourself? I have done both. Neither one are, "safe." I bend the rules and hope that it does not break me.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Is this subject any more or less controversial than cutting towards yourself? I have done both. Neither one are, "safe." I bend the rules and hope that it does not break me.
Probably about as controversial as cleaning your gun while loaded, sure it can be done if your careful, but accidents happen, why risk it
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I do fairly often. I have to cut pieces of tape on boxes or packages. Fast, safe and not necessary to fully open the knife. Plus I like a snug pivot so the blade is always in full control
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not sure why there's so many comments about it not being safe. seems perfectly safe to me, especially if it's not a backlock. the knife isn't going to close on its own in this case and he plenty of handle and blade length to easily manipulate and control. also, it's not like it takes a lot of pressure to cut tape. would i try this with my ladybug hawkbill? of course not. this doesn't seem unsafe to me though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Never have done it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I used the method above today to open a box.

1. In front of co works, they really don’t see the knife, they just see the blade. So less attention drawn to sharp object at work.

2. Knife blade in a pinch grip and unlocked, one can control the depth of the cut through tape/cardboard… makes it so you don’t cut through your wares.

I love this cutting style at work. I have a ladybug on my keychain, handed my keys to a co worker, you would have thought I was a murderer because a 1.5 inch blade was on the keychain… I know my co worker wasn’t the only person in my department whose first though about a knife was “murder murder, MURDER!”
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Chuck James wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm
VashHash wrote:
So apparently this is causing a bit of a stir for some and others understand it. So let's bring it to light. Also trying to stop derailing the tuff thread. Have you ever or do you currently use your folding knives in an unlocked position for quick cuts or light task.
I'll include the original images and a side view for those that may not understand.

And the new image for those that probably think this is unsafe. Fingers are never in the blade path.

I've even used the military as a cigar cutter by putting the cigar in the last swell of the handle and closing the blade on it.

Maybe you have a different method. Please share all positive and negative opinions about this. I do this with large and small knives. Sometimes in public people don't even see the knife being used. This can be a good thing for some people.
Telling me this is a good technique is like pissing down someones back and telling them it's raining.
If you can't look at this technique and see why it's not a good idea, then It can't be explained.
So what you're telling me is that you can't explain it. I understand.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm
VashHash wrote:

So what you're telling me is that you can't explain it. I understand.
I see you haven't finished pissing.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

*runs to the microwave with a bag of popcorn*
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm
I've been drinking so this thread is quite hilarious. I love when new members ruffle feathers (I'm sure you can relate) 😉
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:27 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm
I've been drinking so this thread is quite hilarious. I love when new members ruffle feathers (I'm sure you can relate) 😉
Dang SG!! Throwing bombs haha! Though I can't disagree, and very thankful it's all a thing of the past :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Seems to me this thread is a wonderful advertisement for the upcoming Swick ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!