Using folders unlocked

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Using folders unlocked

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm
Allright forget the accidents can happen part. Then I have 2 questions.

2. For the semantics. Are locking folders designed to be used in an unlocked position?

Yes, some of them are.

Guess folks in this thread know better than Sal ;)
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

2. For the semantics. Are locking folders designed to be used in an unlocked position?

Yes, some of them are.

Has a swedge. Different design, different intent.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:05 am
I'm very open to constructive criticism. It's how we learn. As mentioned using any knife at any time in any situation is a risk. As far as the naysayers go I want to thank you. We need people like you in the knife community. Good shepherds. I know your main concern is safety. Safety for anyone using a knife. We don't want our community to be seen as a reckless group. It makes all knife users look bad. The whole point of this discussion is to educate. If you want to dismiss this technique as unsafe then please disclose why you feel that way. Making derogatory comments without reasoning behind it isn't the way to get your point across.

Someone mentioned a friend having an accident and almost losing a finger. This is a real concern with the technique. This was also an accident that the user wasn't in control of. Not long after the technique was compared to cleaning a loaded gun. This is an example of negligence. You can easily rectify this situation and make it safe. That's the difference between an accident (hard or almost impossible to prevent) and negligence (not taking the time to do something right). I can see how this looks like a negligent technique. I'll break it down in safety speak. While using this technique I'm avoiding line of fire (if the knife closes accidentally my digits are not in the blade path)and avoiding pinch points, (again no digits between the pivot or blade). Some would argue I'm breaking a safety rule by using the wrong tool for the job. That's debatable because we have used knives for millenia.
It's your choice to use a knife the way you choose. You really shouldn't suggest for someone else to try this technique.
vivi

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm
vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Yes, some of them are.

lol.

it's a locking knife meant to be used half open. the answer to your question is quite clear ;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes I've used a knife in a similar manner, usually to trim a thread or something. Clacking open a 4" knife in church can be a bit of a distraction. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm
vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Yes, some of them are.

lol.

it's a locking knife meant to be used half open. the answer to your question is quite clear ;)
But its specifically that knife. I havent heard that argument made for his other designs.

Theres also a difference between cutting a thread or string and cutting tape on boxes.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Such intractable positions! Trenches are dug, redoubts fortified, supply lines established. I prefer maneuver, so I’ll leave this hill for others to struggle over.

Use your knife how you deem best, just try to be careful.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I didn't know tape was so difficult to cut. Are we all talking about the same kind of tape?
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I do this quite often if I’m opening a box in front of someone who may be knife adverse. Sometimes I even leave the house without my bubble wrap suit on!
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 am
Chuck James wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm
VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm
So apparently this is causing ....
Telling me this is a good technique is like pissing down someones back and telling them it's raining.
If you can't look at this technique and see why it's not a good idea, then It can't be explained.
Well, I am sure the OP can defend himself perfectly well if he wants to, but let me say: This is not really a constructive reply.

Obviously this is a technique that works for some, the OPs pics even show that his fingers are not in danger, since he pinch grips the handle so that the fingers are not in the blade path.

I can see how this could be more convenient for example when opening packages and the like, cause the wrist might be in a more natural angle.

Anyway, I think the way you are dismissing techniques and how other people use their folders just cause you personally don't, is not too much different to people saying carrying/using folders is dangerous in general, just cause they don't carry such or are afraid of knives or whatever.
You clean guns while they are loaded...don't you!! LOL!!! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 pm
I mean where do you draw the line?

I also cant stand "safety police" when it comes down to what I know I can do. I also like motorcycles and outdoor activities that can be dangerous.

However... I will never advocate for improper use of power tools or firearms. But knives are ok?
I am not advocating that anybody use knives, power tools or guns improperly and I wouldn’t teach anyone to do so. I am saying that we all get to decide for ourselves and we shouldn’t get bent out of shape over what risks others take. I have definitely used power tools for things they were not designed for. I am pretty careful with firearms but I have had my moments back in the day.

The OP wasn’t advocating for it in my opinion. He was simply asking for people’s opinions and experiences.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Chuck James wrote:
Telling me this is a good technique is like pissing down someones back and telling them it's raining.
If you can't look at this technique and see why it's not a good idea, then It can't be explained.
Chuck James wrote: You clean guns while they are loaded...don't you!! LOL!!! :D

new guy walks into a bar...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Chuck James wrote: You clean guns while they are loaded...don't you!! LOL!!! :D

new guy walks into a bar...
Well done!!! Thanks for the laugh!!! :D
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've never done it, but I've seen it done, and don't understand why I'd want or need to do it... Others were mentioning the Tuff like this for some baton action, I actually did baton the crap out of my OG Tuff (which it did great, save for edge retention) but I don't understand why I NEED to do this, it seems like less you'd have less control of what you're doing for what, saving .8 seconds if one were to completely open/close a knife? Sorry for being dense, can someone sell this to me, why?

:confused: :rolleyes: :p ;) :o
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JMM wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:14 pm
I've never done it, but I've seen it done, and don't understand why I'd want or need to do it... Others were mentioning the Tuff like this for some baton action, I actually did baton the crap out of my OG Tuff (which it did great, save for edge retention) but I don't understand why I NEED to do this, it seems like less you'd have less control of what you're doing for what, saving .8 seconds if one were to completely open/close a knife? Sorry for being dense, can someone sell this to me, why?

Sometimes you need to cut something quickly without scaring the fainting goats...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

JMM wrote:

That argument can be extended to one handed knives in general, and pocket clips. You're saving what, 1-2 seconds when you open your mail compared to a swiss army knife?

;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:06 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 pm
I mean where do you draw the line?

I also cant stand "safety police" when it comes down to what I know I can do. I also like motorcycles and outdoor activities that can be dangerous.

However... I will never advocate for improper use of power tools or firearms. But knives are ok?
I am not advocating that anybody use knives, power tools or guns improperly and I wouldn’t teach anyone to do so. I am saying that we all get to decide for ourselves and we shouldn’t get bent out of shape over what risks others take. I have definitely used power tools for things they were not designed for. I am pretty careful with firearms but I have had my moments back in the day.

The OP wasn’t advocating for it in my opinion. He was simply asking for people’s opinions and experiences.
This is pretty good way to put it. I agree.

For the record in the other thread, the OP literally said "try it you will like it." Seems like advocating to me.

Part of me is just arguing for arguments sake. The other part of me is taking the semantics of proper use or intended design or just safe practice pretty seriously.

My very good friend cut his thumb off a month ago. Dont worry it got reattached. It was from getting lazy with a safety procedure while using a table saw.
I had caught him a few months back making an unsafe cut and when I said something, I got the lip service of "thats just the way they say you are supposed to do it.", or something along those lines.
My friend has a lot of experience using saws and table saws.
He is also very intelligent and I know can follow proper safety procedures/ safe operation.
Stuff still happens.

So needless to say, I have been a little paranoid about proper tool use lately.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:48 pm
JMM wrote:

Sometimes you need to cut something quickly without scaring the fainting goats...

Ohhhhhh.... I get it now, thank you -- I've only got Yaks and I think that was what was messing me up...

:p :D
JMM

Post by JMM »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 pm
JMM wrote:

That argument can be extended to one handed knives in general, and pocket clips. You're saving what, 1-2 seconds when you open your mail compared to a swiss army knife?

;)

Awesome, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some super-secret-squirrel way of doing it that I wasn't wrapping my sleepy head over ..... Thx

:rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

I see and respect what you mean, but still disagree:
The OP describes a technique he uses without any issues and asks, who else does so and what people think of it - in a dedicated knife forum. That's not advocating imho, but even part of what this place is here for.

And concerning " accidents can happen": Sure. But the way he uses the knife unlocked makes this rather unlikely. For me pretty much the same as one CAN slip on the blade when using a slick handled Kapara or CAN drop the knife on their foot when operating a comp.lock in the usual way or... like 1000 more examples. If I'd think about what potentially CAN happen I'd never use any tool anymore...

1. Would you tell a non-knife person they will be fine doing it? I promise you at least one person will screw up.

Edit.
When it comes down to any tool we can just say this.

Proper use=safe
Improper use=unsafe

So this is the question of the day.
Is that improper use?

Is it improper use by other peoples standards instead of ours?
For me it honestly is not improper, but just uncommon (yet?):

- The way the OP does it is useful and perfectly safe for him and anyone who does it in the same way
- Just because not many do this at this point in time, does not (necessarily) mean it is improper. If people would always have used stuff in the at some point totally "proper", ,"mainstream" and common way, many, many useful techniques, designs and so on would have never been developed.
- Will some non knife persons hurt themselves when using this method? Sure - a few will accidently put their fingers in the blade path and in rare cases the blade will fold on them. But, as just one example: This is also true for the comp.lock when people close it in the "fingers never in the blade path" method. No danger as long as the fingers actually ARE out of the blade path, but if they are accidently not: Problem. Now: Is this a reason to tell non knife people to not use this closing method?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)