Using folders unlocked

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Using folders unlocked

Post by Wartstein »

Chuck James wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 am
Chuck James wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm
VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm
So apparently this is causing ....
Telling me this is a good technique is like pissing down someones back and telling them it's raining.
If you can't look at this technique and see why it's not a good idea, then It can't be explained.
Well, I am sure the OP can defend himself perfectly well if he wants to, but let me say: This is not really a constructive reply.

Obviously this is a technique that works for some, the OPs pics even show that his fingers are not in danger, since he pinch grips the handle so that the fingers are not in the blade path.

I can see how this could be more convenient for example when opening packages and the like, cause the wrist might be in a more natural angle.

Anyway, I think the way you are dismissing techniques and how other people use their folders just cause you personally don't, is not too much different to people saying carrying/using folders is dangerous in general, just cause they don't carry such or are afraid of knives or whatever.
You clean guns while they are loaded...don't you!! LOL!!! :D
What a thoroughly thought through reply... ;)

- Cleaning guns while they are loaded has prooven to be dangerous by I figure a lot of accidents that have already happened.
- The method the OP describes is perfectly safe as long as one does it like he does and has some practical advantages. As said in my last post above: Not more dangerous than closing a comp.lock with the "fingers all the time out of the blade path" method for example.
The method is not improper and "crazy", but just uncommon (yet). Maybe you don´t trust yourself with utilizing this technique safely, and that´s fine of course. But people perhaps more skilled, more experienced, more ready to think out of the box than you (honestly no offense meant!!) will like and use it with no problem and just the more or less slight risk using knives or actually almost all things in life still do have.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:48 pm
Sometimes you need to cut something quickly without scaring the fainting goats...
I'm glad I checked back, otherwise I would have missed this gem. Thanks SG for the chuckle and for another arrow in my quiver.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

VashHash wrote:
Using folders unlocked

Please don't. :)

edit: other than batoning, which should never happen with a folder anyway.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I was trying to let the, "cleaning guns while loaded" comment go. Hoped it would fall out of this thread as it does not pertain to Spyderco and is not relevant to knives. But since it has come up again.... I have always been confused as to how a person could get a patch and rod through a barrel while there is a round in the chamber. There is no advantage to trying to clean while loaded. It really is just forgetful stupidity not doing the checks before cleaning. Or, an excuse for a failed suicide attempt.

Using an unlocked folder aught not require 5 pages. Everybody, do what you like. Use your tools and don't be fools. Everyone else, forget the gripe. Make it fun and skip the hype.

As for taking a piss. Well that is not knife news either. I tell my young boys, look at the urinal, look at what you are doing, look at your shoes and wash your hands. It does not get on you unless you go out of your way to get in the way.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s interesting how contentious some posts in this thread have become.

I’ve used Spyderco folders partly-opened on very rare occasions, for very light tasks, like cutting a loose thread or tape (but not necessarily Gorilla Tape). There isn’t any danger, because my thumb is in the hole and my fingers are out of the way (on the clip, actually). And nobody is going to ‘bump me from behind so it messes my grip up and closes on my fingers.’ I probably won’t be cutting string or tape with my folder half-opened in a crowd, or in a narrow hallway with people walking to and fro. If one uses that hypothetical bump-from-behind accident scenario, you could then apply it to anything…using a pair of scissors, using a lighter, carrying groceries to/from your car, writing a signature, carrying a baby, etc.

I think we can all decide to use our tools the way we want, that works for us, as long as it doesn’t endanger anyone else, and still remain civil about it.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve been using my Mike Read PITS unlocked. Hey! Sometimes you gotta take a walk on the wild side.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am
VashHash wrote:
Using folders unlocked

:confused: Why?
Light batoning with an (better unlocked) folder (blade) is actually very useful for producing fine kindling. I would not want to carry a fixed blade just for that.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I tend not to only because I had an accident once while using an unlocked SE Harpy to cut something. (The blade snapped closed on the first joint of my index finger, causing moderate injury). The scar healed, but my finger is still crooked to this day.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am
kobold wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Using folders unlocked

Light batoning with an (better unlocked) folder (blade) is actually very useful for producing fine kindling. I would not want to carry a fixed blade just for that.

A few reasons.
I always carry a tough, thirty dollar beater fixie when away from home in my backpack, so I can keep my two or three hundred EUR EDC folders in a good shape. Also because "one is none" and because it is good practice to use the right (or at least the better) tool for a job which is related to safety - it is safer to baton with a fixed blade, even if we don't care about destroying an expensive Spyderco folder.

The proper way to use a folder, even a SAK will do, for batoning, is to just initiate the split with it and do the rest of the work with a wooden wedge.

The truth is, I don't baton much, I can build a fire just fine without it.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Commonly use mine partially open for these kinds of tasks whether cutting line(s) or zip ties...

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Could be pretty handy stripping CAT cables in a pinch. :D

In a compression lock, ZERO parts of my hand are in the way of the blade. I don't really get how is this ever comparable to a loaded gun. :confused:

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:27 pm
I've been drinking so this thread is quite hilarious. I love when new members ruffle feathers (I'm sure you can relate) 😉

😅

Seriously though, I've never seen someone new go from being oh so awesome in a family member loving kind of way to anti-shiny-footprint snarkyness to forum oldies in such a short span of time!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

😅

Seriously though, I've never seen someone new go from being oh so awesome in a family member loving kind of way to anti-shiny-footprint snarkyness to forum oldies in such a short span of time!
My loaded gun reference was in relationship to someone else's analogy, but I see it's been mentioned now beyond that lol
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am
kobold wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Using folders unlocked

A few reasons.
I always carry a tough, thirty dollar beater fixie when away from home in my backpack, so I can keep my two or three hundred EUR EDC folders in a good shape. Also because "one is none" and because it is good practice to use the right (or at least the better) tool for a job which is related to safety - it is safer to baton with a fixed blade, even if we don't care about destroying an expensive Spyderco folder.

The proper way to use a folder, even a SAK will do, for batoning, is to just initiate the split with it and do the rest of the work with a wooden wedge.

The truth is, I don't baton much, I can build a fire just fine without it.
Thanks for the reply, makes sense!

Some points though:

- What I mean is really light batoning, let's say one or two finger wide branches or chipping away kindling from larger pieces
- I don't think an unlocked Spyderco can get destroyed by that
- Sure, carrying a beater fixed blade additionally to a folder in the outdoors is sensible, no doubt. But in my case it's mostly about mountaineering, where pack size and weight is a concern and a knife gets used for starting fires rather rarely. A light folder is really very convenient in this scenario and I just want it to be an a bit more universal tool, even if a fixed blade would be certainly better suited for some tasks.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Oh yeah, something that thin and no knots should be safe.
Some ultralighters even do-away with a knife completely, but I feel like that is pushing it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:16 am
Oh yeah, something that thin and no knots should be safe.
Some ultralighters even do-away with a knife completely, but I feel like that is pushing it.
Man, I hear you!!

Here in Austria (Europe) one can legally carry whatever they want.
Still, most people do not carry any pocket knife, not even a small SAK
And, sadly, this is also true for mountaineers here: Many don´t bring any knife for "weight saving" just cause they don´t really need one too often. But aside from a knife being convenient even when not really needed: WHEN they need and don´t have one: Big trouble.
I do understand the principle, attraction and even real advantages of the ultra light approach and admittedly I am a bit into it myself (makes sense in the mountains to bring the lighter item if it does the job) - but I´d never abandon a small folder (I mean, what does a Salt 2 ffg weigh?!) or just VERY rarely, but then I still have the blade on a leatherman juice or the like.

/ As for "my kind of folder batoning": Perhaps "batoning" is not even the correct term anymore? Though technically I still put the edge on top of a piece of wood and "hammer" it in (though often just with the fist, and sometimes just "press" the blade though the rest of the wood) - as said very useful for fire starting or getting to the dry(er) inside of wood)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a pacific salt se and a mora make a great ultralight pair of knives that will get you through almost anything in the wild. there's just no excuse to not carry them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:43 am
a pacific salt se and a mora make a great ultralight pair of knives that will get you through almost anything in the wild. there's just no excuse to not carry them.
[Sorry OP for going off topic]

Can´t argue that, Ladybug93!

I guess going into the mountains were I live CAN definitely mean going "into the wild", but does not have to necessarily. Some are pretty close to civilization. And, one is mostly above tree line, where knives are not needed as much and by tendency for lighter tasks than in remote wood lands.

Furthermore I guess it is a "psychological" thing: Since the vast majority of mountaineers, hikers, climbers I know don´t carry any knife at all (silly in my book), or perhaps just a small SAK, I somehow in comparison feel really well prepared with a full sized Endura or Pac Salt SE plus some variant of a leatherman... :o
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm not too worried about people high jacking the thread. This is a discussion about knife usage. So it all falls under that umbrella in the long run. I see how some people have come to their conclusion about this technique and I fully understand. Bad experiences are good teachers. Again the way I'm using this method is for very light cutting task. Nothing that will particularly provide resistance for a properly sharpened knife. I have done this technique with lock backs as well but I open them past the point of self close. Again your thumb in the hole helps keep the blade open and without the spyder hole this technique becomes much more difficult. I don't do this with any knife that isn't a spyderco.