Spyderco Para3: original or fake ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Spyderco Para3: original or fake ?

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:21 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:31 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:18 pm

The differences I see from mine are
stop pin
clip alignment
lanyard tube
lettering
scale cut outs and screw holes. Aftermarket scales?

There may be others I can't see due to camera angles and lighting.
Others might not be visible without disassembly.
Some I won't see due to mine being heavily modified and deleted.

Thanks for elaborating; I'm going to stand with my original opinion that the OP's knife is an authentic Spyderco, but I appreciate your concerns.

If it is a fake, then I commend the manufacturer on their commitment, and now fully understand Sal's stated concerns on the future of the American Knife Industry.
All the stuff I listed could possibly be manufacturing differences, but there's quite a few.
Also mine's a rex45 sprint so....
I don't know what you guys are looking at (yes I see your list). The OP's looks just like my first run S30V Para 3. I also have the REX45, Cruwear, M390, and SNK 4V. Aside from the obvious, they all look like the one pictured in the first post. There's no doubt in my mind that the OP's Para 3 is real

I don't know if there was a misunderstanding somewhere, but I completely agree. The OP's pictures depict a genuine Golden made Spyderco Para 3.
So it goes.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:17 am
I am not a Para 3 expert at all, so all I can do to help is to bump your thread, since I see you got not replies so far.
(I can see nothing suspicious on your knife, but as said, I don´t know a lot about this model)

I guess you should also post your request once more in this sub-forum https://forum.spyderco.com/viewforum.php?f=8
Hello, thanks for the advice.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:40 am
As far as I can tell, it is authentic.

Is there something about the knife that makes you think it could be a fake?
Hello. My doubts arose after I saw sales on aliexpress. Thank you for your reply
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

jousmit19 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:58 am
Throw a cigarette paper in the air and if you don't cut it in 2 it's fake
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:18 pm
Where did you buy it?
Hello, I bought it from the aftermarket, not from an official store. Therefore, there are doubts.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

Pokey wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:33 pm
Comparing your pictures to my same Para 3 model I’d say it’s genuine. Do you suspect it’s fake?
Hello, I have a little doubt, because I did not buy from an authorized dealer, but on the secondary market.
Rusanv

Post by Rusanv »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:40 pm
Compared to mine, there's a lot that looks right, and a few things that aren't.
A couple things I see could be variables in manufacturing, but there's a couple I don't think so.

For this reason, I'm suspicious of it.
Hello, could you please indicate which details of my knife make you doubt? Thanks
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:18 pm
Where did you buy it?
I welcome everyone to this thread.
I bought this knife at the request of Rusanv. Together, we looked at the photos offered by the seller for a long time. When I received this knife, I could not determine whether it was original or not. I had no doubts that it was the original.

One of the reasons is that I don't have the Para3 G-10. And there is no information on the network how to distinguish this particular model. We know that some sellers in China have recently started offering this for sale.
I am very concerned about this. I always try to understand how to distinguish an original from a fake.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Higher wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:22 pm
One of the reasons is that I don't have the Para3 G-10. And there is no information on the network how to distinguish this particular model. We know that some sellers in China have recently started offering this for sale.
I am very concerned about this. I always try to understand how to distinguish an original from a fake.

I feel like this thread has done a good job of alleviating your concerns. Do you disagree?
So it goes.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I own a few para 3s and several para 3 lightweights. Right now I only have a lw on me to compare, I’m curious to compare it to a g10 para 3 when I get home. But I’m suspicious for two reasons so far (and I formed these opinions before reading any moments)

-As others have said, the lettering doesn’t look right
-the blade shape looked just a hair different to me. I held up my p3lw to my phone with one of your pictures open and it was almost exactly life-size, so I was able to compare and i believe the curve along the edge doesn’t quite match. I didn’t compare this side by side with mine, but from above the blade stock thickness seems greater in proportion to the length on your knife than on mine.

Best way to find out if it’s real or not is to send it to Spyderco warranty and repair, but if it’s fake you won’t get it back.