Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwstubbz

Re: Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Post by Rwstubbz »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:02 am
That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
Good question, but at this point it's been a while. I just got back from working out of town and able to work on it again. I thought about contacting customer service at the store I purchased it from again now that they have more in stock. Honestly maybe I should have pushed the issue more with spyderco, but I thought the knife might still be useful. I didn't realize that it would open in my pocket. Also, I have thought about using the discount several times but still wouldn't get my investments worth out of it.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 am
JRinFL wrote: That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
Ill bet my edc Spyderco didnt send it out like that. It probably got screwed up by someone else, sold/exchanged/returned whatever, and ended up sold again to this person. They should have immediately demanded a refund.

Op says reputable seller, is it an authourised dealer? Theres a difference.
Honestly that's what I think as well. I just found a board on here that talks about just that and posted to it about my experience. It's frustrating for us end users as well as the manufacturers. It was an authorized dealer. I hope I don't get booted for this, and that people don't think that it is inappropriate, but I'll just call out the dealer on here. It was Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I was super disappointed about their response as well and have been using blade hq and knife center more now. I buy a LOT of knives so I hope that it has hit them in the pocketbook as well since they hit me in mine.
Taking the loss though I am basically trying to find out whether I can revive this beast and turn it into a spy27 titanium terror. LoL 😂
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I don’t understand why the “reputable dealer” didn’t offer a exchange or refund?
Josh
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 pm
I don’t understand why the “reputable dealer” didn’t offer a exchange or refund?
They told me that they didn't have any more in stock and that spyderco would warranty it. By the time I found out that they wouldn't warranty it, SMKW wouldn't exchange or refund. That's all fine though I'm willing to move forward. Do you know whether the blade would fit the g10 version? They look the same, but before I tear it apart and possibly break something further, I'm asking the spyderco world on here if anyone has any experience in it. I know that even small differences can make it inoperable.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 am
JRinFL wrote: That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
Ill bet my edc Spyderco didnt send it out like that. It probably got screwed up by someone else, sold/exchanged/returned whatever, and ended up sold again to this person. They should have immediately demanded a refund.

Op says reputable seller, is it an authourised dealer? Theres a difference.
Yeah, seems likely.

For the OP:
If there are no other options, I would buy the cheapest LW version and use it for parts to fix the Spy27 version. It is wasteful, however.
I'd just really like to make it into something even better an move on from the experience. If I can't figure out how to turn it into a titanium terror, I will consider this. It's not a bad idea, I just hate waste. Maybe I can talk Sal into selling me the scales and screws cheaper than the new knife if he sees this. Otherwise, that will be my second option if I can't find out if the g10 and lightweight blades are exactly the same. Just reaching out to the pros on this forum. Surely someone has tried the swap.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Rwstubbz wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:31 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
They told me that they didn't have any more in stock and that spyderco would warranty it. By the time I found out that they wouldn't warranty it, SMKW wouldn't exchange or refund. That's all fine though I'm willing to move forward. Do you know whether the blade would fit the g10 version? They look the same, but before I tear it apart and possibly break something further, I'm asking the spyderco world on here if anyone has any experience in it. I know that even small differences can make it inoperable.
I have no idea if it will fit or not man. That makes sense now if they didn’t have anymore.
Josh
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

cali wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:30 pm
Come on, the knife is a lemon but still a lot of people can fix such issues, it requires just a soldering iron treatment and bending the lock!
Not sure that's true. The pivot screw is stuck and won't turn out. I haven't tried the hot water trick yet, but may do so later tonight. Once that's out, I can figure out whether that's the only problem, or whether there is even an issue at all with the lock, scales, etc. I haven't wanted to destroy anything or strip the screws yet in case the genius's on the forum had any ideas. If the blade is exactly the same as the g10 version, I'll be much more gun ho and take it apart by force.
Thanks for the reply,
Rws
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm
JRinFL wrote:
That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
That was my thought as well, sounds like poor customer service to basically intimate in the response that "we couldn't have made a mistake like that, you must have broken it and are lying to us about it," If that's how it went down. Even if they thought it got damaged in the supply chain, it pays to take care of customers better than that.

Which retailer did you buy it from?
I wasn't sure if I should say at first, but I decided to call them out and hope Sal or one of the other Spyderco executive decision makers doesn't boot me for calling out an authorized dealer (is that even a thing)? It was Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I've had good luck with their customer service before and bad luck now I guess but I honestly think that the rep thought that spyderco would warranty it since I called in the same day I received it. Unless she knew that it had been returned once before. I'm not sure that's even possible though since they all sold out within the same day or two that they went up for sale on the website and that's when I bought it. Either way, I know that someone out there has tried the lightweight to g10 swap. I came to the Spyderco pro's here on the forum to ask for an answer.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Rwstubbz wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Yes, I believe the Para 3 and Para3 LW blades are interchangeable, so you can use your LW blade in your G10.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I’d like to see some pics of the problem.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

So you bought a defective knife from SMKW, they told you to send it back to Spyderco.
Spyderco declined to repair it (presumably on the basis they thought it had been modified or dismantled & poorly reassembled).
Surely you now take it back to SMKW and tell them that in the manufacturers expert opinion the knife had been tampered with before they sold it to you? The time delay was the direct result of *their* suggestion to return it to Spyderco.
I don’t understand your reluctance to push the issue with the retailer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:22 am
So you bought a defective knife from SMKW, they told you to send it back to Spyderco.
Spyderco declined to repair it (presumably on the basis they thought it had been modified or dismantled & poorly reassembled).
Surely you now take it back to SMKW and tell them that in the manufacturers expert opinion the knife had been tampered with before they sold it to you? The time delay was the direct result of *their* suggestion to return it to Spyderco.
Same here (but perhaps I am missing something):

- You timely told the retailer that there is an issue
- The retailer offered a solution to fix that ("send it to Spyderco")
- That solution did not work out
- Not your fault at all, so why not contact the retailer again and ask for another solution?!
(Exaggerated analogy: Lets say you receive a knife with broken tip from a dealer; you tell them timely that there is an issue; you send the knife back to them; they send it back after two weeks with new handle screws, but still broken tip; NOT your fault that by then the "warranty time" might be over, right?!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I suspect that sharpening a blade the minute it arrives may not be a good idea. Check the thing is working properly then go mental with the sharpening stones. Otherwise, you've physically altered the product in a way which most retailers won't be thrilled about.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Rwstubbz wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:55 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm
JRinFL wrote:
That was my thought as well, sounds like poor customer service to basically intimate in the response that "we couldn't have made a mistake like that, you must have broken it and are lying to us about it," If that's how it went down. Even if they thought it got damaged in the supply chain, it pays to take care of customers better than that.

Which retailer did you buy it from?
I wasn't sure if I should say at first, but I decided to call them out and hope Sal or one of the other Spyderco executive decision makers doesn't boot me for calling out an authorized dealer (is that even a thing)? It was Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I've had good luck with their customer service before and bad luck now I guess but I honestly think that the rep thought that spyderco would warranty it since I called in the same day I received it. Unless she knew that it had been returned once before. I'm not sure that's even possible though since they all sold out within the same day or two that they went up for sale on the website and that's when I bought it. Either way, I know that someone out there has tried the lightweight to g10 swap. I came to the Spyderco pro's here on the forum to ask for an answer.
I'm saying that's poor customer service on Spyderco's part. Discounting some kind of conspiracy at SMKW where they somehow kept track of a returned problem knife and knowingly sent it to you, their response that you should file a warranty claim with Spyderco to fix your new knife sounds like the correct approach.

Spyderco manufactures the knife, sends it out through a major retailer to their customer base and has their name (not SMKW) on the line if it turns out to be a lemon. Instead of telling you to get lost because they wouldn't have shipped a knife with that problem, they should give you the benefit of the doubt and stand behind their product. If they really think it is a damaged, returned item, that was resold then they can work that with their retailer.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Gtscotty wrote: ...

I'm saying that's poor customer service on Spyderco's part. Discounting some kind of conspiracy at SMKW where they somehow kept track of a returned problem knife and knowingly sent it to you, their response that you should file a warranty claim with Spyderco to fix your new knife sounds like the correct approach.

Spyderco manufactures the knife, sends it out through a major retailer to their customer base and has their name (not SMKW) on the line if it turns out to be a lemon. Instead of telling you to get lost because they wouldn't have shipped a knife with that problem, they should give you the benefit of the doubt and stand behind their product. If they really think it is a damaged, returned item, that was resold then they can work that with their retailer.
I will bet it is the opposite scenario. If Spyderco says that knife wouldnt pass their qc standards then that means they "ideally" wouldnt have sent it out to begin with.

I do think someone bought this, messed it up, returned it, and it got sold again. Once the knife was modified, apparently given a wrong pivot, the warranty was voided.

On paper spyderco is probably following their own policies.

I have only personally seen one faulty spyderco out of the box and it was still functional. I know they can mess up on the production side, but it seems more likely it was someone else.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:35 pm
Rwstubbz wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Yes, I believe the Para 3 and Para3 LW blades are interchangeable, so you can use your LW blade in your G10.
Awesome I'll be able to try a few things if I get off work early tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what happens if I do end up with the time.
Thanks for the post.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:47 pm
I’d like to see some pics of the problem.
Not sure if these will show up but let's try. Well every time I try it says the file is too large. I'll try with my other phone I'll repost soon.
Thanks
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Because I think that if I can figure out a way to use it to make a titanium scaled folder I would be even happier. Hence the question to my spydie people here. I don't mind buying the titanium scales if I can be sure that the blade will fit and I can figure out a way to get a new lockbar liner to work with it. Like I said maybe I'll use one of the other ones that I have if I can be certain that the blade will fit. If I find out that it won't work, maybe I will contact them again and push harder, but they've already told me that it has been too long. Maybe I will just keep it on my desk as a letter opener. It's all up in the air. My intention was never to get advice on how to return the knife although I truly appreciate your time and advice. My true intentions were to find out if the blade was interchangeable with the g10 version because I find the steel to be a really good representation of what I would use as a daily carry. It has decent edge retention but is really really easy to work with to get it back to a great edge and takes a very thin edge. I cut up a bunch of cardboard and stropped it back to shaving sharp with 2 micron diamond emulsion on a strop within 2-3 minutes. I'd like to take the blade and pair it with a titanium handle if possible.
I really do appreciate your time and advice.
Thanks
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:39 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Same here (but perhaps I am missing something):

- You timely told the retailer that there is an issue
- The retailer offered a solution to fix that ("send it to Spyderco")
- That solution did not work out
- Not your fault at all, so why not contact the retailer again and ask for another solution?!
(Exaggerated analogy: Lets say you receive a knife with broken tip from a dealer; you tell them timely that there is an issue; you send the knife back to them; they send it back after two weeks with new handle screws, but still broken tip; NOT your fault that by then the "warranty time" might be over, right?!)
Agreed and again I might push the issue with the seller again if I need to, but now it's been even longer. I've been doing my research to try and find out if I can use this to make a titanium folder instead of the lightweight. Haven't found much info on it so I asked the forum for advice. Not on returning the knife, but whether the blade would fit the g-10 version because if I tear it apart to find out, then I definitely can't return it or expect any service from either party.
Thanks for the thoughts
Rws
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:46 am
I suspect that sharpening a blade the minute it arrives may not be a good idea. Check the thing is working properly then go mental with the sharpening stones. Otherwise, you've physically altered the product in a way which most retailers won't be thrilled about.
True, maybe that was my fault and I accept that. I did check it over, but missed the proud pivot screw and the action wasn't immediately obvious to me. Good advice for the future though thank you