Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwstubbz

Re: Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Post by Rwstubbz »

Chuck James wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:27 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:16 pm
Rwstubbz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm
<snip>
Also, the blade centering is terrible. Probably because the pivot is not tight.
Thank you for posting the pictures. Attached is a picture of mine (same model and steel) and it shares the poorly centered blade. Blade centering does not bother me much, but I can see how it would for many people. In any event, I don't think the center issue is related to the pivot screw. I can run either pivot screw out or in and there is almost zero change in the centering.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 4.09.19 PM.jpg
I think the off centered blade goes hand in hand with the cheap plastic handle...this has been my experience.
Good point, but I have had this problem on several g-10 models as well.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:07 am
Chuck James wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Rwstubbz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm
<snip>
Also, the blade centering is terrible. Probably because the pivot is not tight.
Thank you for posting the pictures. Attached is a picture of mine (same model and steel) and it shares the poorly centered blade. Blade centering does not bother me much, but I can see how it would for many people. In any event, I don't think the center issue is related to the pivot screw. I can run either pivot screw out or in and there is almost zero change in the centering.

I think the off centered blade goes hand in hand with the cheap plastic handle...this has been my experience.
For this model maybe, but I have other knives with FRN handles that are centered well.
Ya delica's and endura's are usually right on. At least from the ones that I've paid attention to. My manix 2 is right on also. Native was good if I remember right as well. I think my dragonfly was a bit off before I lost it though. I've become more ocd about the centering the more I collect and the better manufacturing gets. There's a ton of cheap knives out there now days that are well made. It's amazing what you can get for 50-100 bucks these days. I prefer to buy more american made knives the older I get and the more aware I am of keeping my country working and economy healthy, but cheap Chinese knife companies are getting better at manufacturing and quality control.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Chuck James wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:07 am
Chuck James wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

For this model maybe, but I have other knives with FRN handles that are centered well.
My native salt had a centered blade as well....then I started using it.

If I want the blade centered now......I bend the cheap plastic handle with my fingers and everything is centered...until I use it again.
That's interesting. Thanks for posting. It seems like the centering shouldn't be as important as a functional knife, but some of us are a bit more ocd about the looks. Especially when I clean them and do maintenance more often than when I was a young bull. I have so many now that I only use a few a week, but the ones I don't use, I want them to look good when I show them off. 😂
Thanks for the post.