Knife Joker GITD Jester 20CV!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Knife Joker GITD Jester 20CV!!

Post by DougC-3 »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm

I'd go with a salt model for keychain knives. H1 or LC200N would have been my preference. Not really a big deal though. I just like variety so I was glad for something different than VG-10.
20CV is like 90% as corrosion resistant as LC200N but has excellent edge retention, which I think is a better combo for tiny blades than high toughness and 100% corrosion resistance.
For some reason I seldom sharpen small pocket-carry knives--almost never sharpen my shirt pocket Super Blue D'fly, so I'm fine with a slow-wearing steel for a tiny knife...plus, I've somehow missed out on 20CV (eg, DLT red Manix) so this'll be my first example of it... if I'm lucky enough to score one :eek:
Last edited by DougC-3 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:46 pm
Here's the page for the big day... https://theknifejoker.com/product/spyde ... -cpm-20cv/
Page not found

It'll be back... they always come back!
Unless they're reading this and decide to change it, but what are the odds of that! :)
I think the bot avoidance tactic some dealers use is to set the page up and then take it down so there's no page for people to set their bots to. But that's just a theory i read that made sense to me.
•• Beau
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

islandpar wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:42 pm
Pardon my ignorance, being new to Spyderco knives, whats the reason for the shape?
Just guessing honestly, but I think the shape is suggestive of a tiny pirate's cutlass, which might be in keeping with it's jocular name. But really it's a fairly nice looking and useful blade shape. If you found yourself without any other knife, you could use it to slice up wieners for beany wienies or open letters or a small package ;)

Also (& seriously) the jimping on the back of the curved tip allows you to apply pressure right on the tip without your forefinger slipping off, for example for cutting paper or other thin material on a cutting mat.

Just ran across this quote in the spydiewiki :
"Information from the Spyderco catalog on the web
JBK:

Take the 2-week Jester Test. Carry a Jester on your keychain, or in your purse or pocket for 14 days then on day 15 leave it home. You'll feel its absence. It offers ergonomic convenience; you forget it's there until you need a knife.

We've notched the blade's spine above the hole with crosshatching as a seat for the thumb while cutting. Another textured section sits on top of the snub nose so your index finger has guiding control over the fine tip. The blade is AUS-6 available in SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. Comes with a black, forest green, lime green or pink FRN handle molded with Volcano-Grip."
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:21 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:31 am
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm

I'd go with a salt model for keychain knives. H1 or LC200N would have been my preference. Not really a big deal though. I just like variety so I was glad for something different than VG-10.
20CV is like 90% as corrosion resistant as LC200N but has excellent edge retention, which I think is a better combo for tiny blades than high toughness and 100% corrosion resistance.
Tell that to my wife's Watu...

It didn't get the memo.
Does she have particularly corrosive sweat or use it to gut salt water fish? I've seen 20CV hold up pretty well in corrosion tests by youtubers and Larrin. It could also be that she got a knife with an out-of-spec heat treat because that affects corrosion resistance too.
Haha! Sweat? My wife?

No, it lives in her purse and is used as a steak knife for cutting her lunch at work.

I know exactly how corrosion resistant this steel is. Out of the family(S110V, M390, 20CV), it is the least corrosion resistant.

Still way up there. But, fairly stainable. I have had no issues with it and the staining isn't detrimental.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

The link works again, now with fancy rotating 360° pictures :D ... https://theknifejoker.com/product/spyde ... -cpm-20cv/
•• Beau
Zive

Post by Zive »

Candyman wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 am
Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:43 am
I like it.

I want one...are we thinking ~$65-$70?

$59.50
Bumped to $74.39
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Zive wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:28 am
Candyman wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 am
Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:43 am
I like it.

I want one...are we thinking ~$65-$70?

$59.50
Bumped to $74.39
$59.50 USD. Looking at it right now. 100% confirmed
Think for yourself
Zive

Post by Zive »

This is very strange. Followed Beau’s link and it listed MSRP as $103.xx with “our price: $74.39”.

Just looked again and it’s back to $59.50.

Edit: realized what caused the price discrepancy: the link I clicked assumed $CAD for whatever reason and adjusted the price. Sorry everybody for the false alarm
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

They have that button in the top left that changes the currency. Maybe it defaulted to a different country? It looks like they have been doing updates or maintenance to the whole site for the past day or so.
•• Beau
Zive

Post by Zive »

I have to assume that’s what it was.

Those jokers over there… :rolleyes:
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Saturday drop.... hmm that's different.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

DougC-3 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:12 pm
islandpar wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:42 pm
Pardon my ignorance, being new to Spyderco knives, whats the reason for the shape?
Just guessing honestly, but I think the shape is suggestive of a tiny pirate's cutlass, which might be in keeping with it's jocular name. But really it's a fairly nice looking and useful blade shape. If you found yourself without any other knife, you could use it to slice up wieners for beany wienies or open letters or a small package ;)

Also (& seriously) the jimping on the back of the curved tip allows you to apply pressure right on the tip without your forefinger slipping off, for example for cutting paper or other thin material on a cutting mat.

Just ran across this quote in the spydiewiki :
"Information from the Spyderco catalog on the web
JBK:

Take the 2-week Jester Test. Carry a Jester on your keychain, or in your purse or pocket for 14 days then on day 15 leave it home. You'll feel its absence. It offers ergonomic convenience; you forget it's there until you need a knife.

We've notched the blade's spine above the hole with crosshatching as a seat for the thumb while cutting. Another textured section sits on top of the snub nose so your index finger has guiding control over the fine tip. The blade is AUS-6 available in SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. Comes with a black, forest green, lime green or pink FRN handle molded with Volcano-Grip."
Thanks!
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well I hope the finish updating their site soon. I can't even get it to the home page to start an account. Just get the rolling circle of perpetual loading.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Danke wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:30 pm
Well I hope the finish updating their site soon. I can't even get it to the home page to start an account. Just get the rolling circle of perpetual loading.
Their whole site is sluggish but the home page is horribly slow sometimes. Here's the "my account" page link... https://theknifejoker.com/my-account/ it should load faster :D
•• Beau
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

The website seems a bit better than it has been in the past. Hope they are able to handle the additional load during the knife release. I seem to remember people having issues during the Manix LW release.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Jester was never on my want list. I do like the Manbug and Ladybug. However, this one is just cool with that GITD.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I've always thought this was a great blade design for a small knife, but those gitd scales are really not my thing. Anyone tried dyeing one of the other gitd models?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:31 pm
I've always thought this was a great blade design for a small knife, but those gitd scales are really not my thing. Anyone tried dyeing one of the other gitd models?
Haven't tried dyeing one but Spydergirl brought up a good point earlier in the thread.
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 am
Any torx construction Jester is compatible with any Ladybug with torx construction so get y'alls blade and handle swaps ready!
-Nick :bug-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Good info, thanks. I knew they were similar but didn't know they were swappable.