Knife Joker GITD Jester 20CV!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Re: Knife Joker GITD Jester 20CV!!

Post by Rinzler »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:34 am
jabba359 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:51 pm
When I started that thread, I put glow in the dark in the poll as something I personally wanted, not something I thought we'd ever actually see. I only just found out it became real and, of course, it's sold out. Ugh.
Got you covered. Check your PMs
What!?!? Thanks! This is one I've wanted for so long! :preying
^ This is the reason I bought a second one
That’s a solid bro move. You’re a good guy.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I actually haven't bought a knife since Feb. 2020. This is the first one since then thanks to Dan OZ Spyder for posting about it. Then Dan had to go and post about the DLT Tuff, the Schempp knife that got away from me. Fortunately those are still in stock. So after a year and a half of no knife purchases, I bought these two in two days. And that Smokey Mountain Knifeworks Fat Carbon exclusive might be too tempting to pass up as well. What have you all done to me?!?! :rofl
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:10 pm
I actually haven't bought a knife since Feb. 2020. This is the first one since then thanks to Dan OZ Spyder for posting about it. Then Dan had to go and post about the DLT Tuff, the Schempp knife that got away from me. Fortunately those are still in stock. So after a year and a half of no knife purchases, I bought these two in two days. And that Smokey Mountain Knifeworks Fat Carbon exclusive might be too tempting to pass up as well. What have you all done to me?!?! :rofl
You've been enabled! Glad the GITD Jester came to be! Thanks for starting that poll.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have to say that I love this little knife.

The forward jimping is an incredibly nice ergonomic feature that I never knew I wanted until I got this knife.

Total win from Knife Joker. Thanks!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yes indeed great knife and I can't wait for the dragonfly-sized version.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I totally agree with the praise! The Jester has completely kicked my Manbug out of the pocket in the role of secondary small carry knife. I do slightly prefer the added width of the Manbug scales, but the usefulness of the forward jimping & blade shape still tips me in favor of the Jester. Now a ManJester... oh yeah haha!

Also.. I'd always been very indifferent towards GITD scales. They seemed a little gimmicky to me rather than something useful that I needed to have. Turns out, they're REALLY cool in person! Who knew?!
:zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:14 am
Also.. I'd always been very indifferent towards GITD scales. They seemed a little gimmicky to me rather than something useful that I needed to have. Turns out, they're REALLY cool in person! Who knew?!
:zany
The first time you fumble the knife and drop it in the dark, it really opens your eyes to their value. I actually have GITD beads on my keys for the same reason.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I've got it.
I love it.
Thanks to Spyderco and Travis!

ASF
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Recently, I acquired a couple GITD Jesters. One is a gift for a friend far away, and i must get it in the mail. I have wanted a Jester since i first learned of them and have hoped for a new run. I was primed and ready to get in on this run. My first Spydie sprint was a V-Toku stretch, which i love and use quite a bit.

When i first saw pics of a Jester years ago, the blade shape similarities to the Stretch and tip-of-the-spine jimping just looked amazing. I have used the index-finger forward on the spine grip on many knives since childhood. The ergos just looked right-- and indeed they are. I was indeed curious about the utility of such a small knife for my uses.

I have experimented some with how to best carry these little guys. I haven't ever clicked with attaching to the keychain. I tried it and decided not to. In the coin pocket is great. I have tried the tec clip-- which is pretty good and adds some function as a fob to extend the handle.

PXL_20210814_162336073sm.jpg

The beads are excellent.

PXL_20210814_162500073sm.jpg

For such a little thing, my occasionally clumsy size large hands can work it just fine. I will say that first adding one bead, i realized that a second bead made it much better. I love the contrast of GITD FRN and olive wood.

PXL_20210814_162649684sm.jpg

I hadn't really ventured into the world of smaller Spyderco knives until the past year or so. Before that, the Native was my favorite 'small' Spyderco and my smallest model. ~14 months ago i bought myself a few smaller ones. A Lil Native, A Dragonfly and then 6 months later a CF Chaparral and a Grasshopper. I am glad i did as it encouraged my to try others too.

The Lil Native is the SE backlock variant which i have carried quite a bit without the clip. It is excellent. I wanted to try a smaller SE model and had long wanted a Chap, but favored the SE this time.

The DFly is the Salt Hawkbill SE variant which i carry in my coin pocket to work most days.

The CF Chaparral really changed my opinion of CF and particularly the CF/ G10 laminate which i quite like and think it is silly to get too hung up about. This one has broken in brilliantly and now has excellent action. The overall package is (as the chorus already knows) GOAT material. The thin stock and excellent Taichung build make one of Sal's best designs come alive.

The Grasshopper is not a one handed knife for me. It is compact and sleek with my old friend Sandvik 12c27 for blade steel.

Not being someone who usually modifies knives much, I am somewhat surprised to find myself itching for the next run of Pakkawood Hap 40 Ladybugs to swap handles with a Jester. Then i could also more easily make my own scales with the full liners.

I have a feeling, maybe just a hope, that we will see some more Jesters produced again.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:32 pm
Man I hope this becomes a reality! I am in love with my lil jester and would absolutely need a Dragonfly sized jester. We need an exclusive with red\burgundy micarta with gold /brass hardware and pivot!! Any steel would be fine....
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

The jester is a tape-slicing box-opening beast. It has been opening mail and boxes for the last few weeks. It also works well for cutting down thinner cardboard but struggles with anything double thickness.

Overall this is a better secondary knife than the manbug I’ve had on my keychain. This was a great purchase and someone who I told about the forthcoming jester drop (who ridiculed the design) now regrets not being able to buy one…
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well at least mine are in Canada now so inching closer. Talk about a mule trail to get stuff up here from Cali.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

@ Enactive, thanks for the detailed info on carry options. I've been worried about losing my Jester or leaving it in my pocket in the closet or laundry. I'm not used to carrying small knives except my Manbug, to which I've screwed on a clip. I've never cared for dangly things on my knives before, but I think I'll make an exception and get a TEC clip, after seeing your pic. (Might even try the Lynch wire clip replacement clip, though it'd be sort of imposing on this knife ;) )

I like the Jester better than the Manbug--it looks like a scaled down Delica with a swashbuckling blade, and somehow seems to grip more securely even though it's smaller and I have big hands -- I've never owned a Ladybug, but now I see my mistake.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:32 pm
I can't wait either. If we're lucky enough to get a D-fly sized version, I really hope they'll scale up the Jester handle shape and not put the Jester blade on a D-fly handle. That's one of the main things I like about it, and frankly, I've never really liked the D-fly handle shape, though I've carried one as a second knife every day for years ',:-|
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Dang, missed these!! Gonna keep an eye out
brj

Post by brj »

Nifty lil' bugger :smlling-eyes

Can't imagine how come a salt Jester is not already part of :bug-red-white 's default offering
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Long live the jester! Bring it back to regular production please!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well after criss-crossing the US West coast with various freight handlers it's here. Super happy.

Thanks Travis/Knife Joker!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Danke wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:01 pm
Well after criss-crossing the US West coast with various freight handlers it's here. Super happy.

Thanks Travis/Knife Joker!
Woohoo! Glad to hear it's where it's supposed to be. Mine was AWOL for a couple days. It turned up in the bottom of the pocket of a pair of my shorts
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Made it back home after a couple months away from work and had the Jester Sharp Guy sold me (at cost!) waiting. Thanks again for helping me out. This is a cool little knife and I hope they do a run with a DLC blade so I can add a second one, just in case this one disappears on me. I'll just have to make sure I pay more attention from now on. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com