Millie Minority

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Millie Minority

Post by VashHash »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:53 am
Tagline-worthy phrases in this thread:

“more mellow serrations”

“sometimes you just want a millie”
In my opinion it's a quintessential USA made folder. I like carrying USA made knives. It gives me a sense of pride. Also the military is a very well made knife. I'm currently carrying an S30V model and I'm fine with that but I still like to have options.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree with everyone on the great features of the Military, it just does what it needs to do very well. I used to have a very decent collection of them, but whittled them down to two titanium frame locks. I really liked the CQI changes they made to the model, and was glad to snag one of the revised fluted ones before they disco’d them (which was a real shame). I’ve merged a couple of the CQI models on Ramzar’s list into these two beauties: a S90V fluted Ti and a DLC M4 CF/Ti that to me are just perfect!

Hopefully there will be a K390 and MagnaCut version in the near future. Happy to take a Maxamet one in dark gray G10 too, but I know Sal mentioned the warping issues. I’m not that excited about the Military 2, nor do I feel that a new version would usurp the first version given its long history with the company. It is certainly time for a few new sprints and exclusives though!

(BTW I want to start a thread to request the next holy grail of Spyderco that I can’t stop dreaming about: a fluted Ti Native 5 Chief!! :D)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
kobold

Post by kobold »

A fluted Ti Chief would be insane.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
FK

Post by FK »

If Spyderco would manufacture the Military with K390,,, I would purchase 2 or 3 immediately.

Regards,
FK
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would find it very easy to spend my money on a fluted ti Chief.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

This is my only Military left in my collection. It is A tier.
The G10 liner lock ones I used to have were all A+ knives as well. I am ready for the Military 2 and I hope it is also a high tier knife. The Compression Lock version seems like it's gonna be sweet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been spending a lot of time with this one lately. I so wish we'd see a SE Military run in a new steel.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 pm
Dazen wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:44 pm
The next military we're going to see is with magnacut! At least that's my hope.
My hope as well! SE and Burgundy would be the icing on the cake!
This would be amazing. I would also love to see a DLC option as well. :cool:
Yes Sir! DLC would look amazing with Burgundy!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I feel like crying now. I had a titanium frame lock Military. I let one of my so called best friends borrow it until he got a new pocket knife. He carried it to his friends house on a out of state trip and never got it back. My so called friend acted like he didn't have time to mess with getting it back. He told it's just a knife so it's no big deal so I had some choice words for him then told him to get out of my sight while I am allowing him to walk away. I still feel sick because not only can it not be replaced anymore but I carried that knife for year's through a lot of fun and tough times. It served me well and I will never be able to get another one.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 pm
I feel like crying now. I had a titanium frame lock Military. I let one of my so called best friends borrow it until he got a new pocket knife. He carried it to his friends house on a out of state trip and never got it back. My so called friend acted like he didn't have time to mess with getting it back. He told it's just a knife so it's no big deal so I had some choice words for him then told him to get out of my sight while I am allowing him to walk away. I still feel sick because not only can it not be replaced anymore but I carried that knife for year's through a lot of fun and tough times. It served me well and I will never be able to get another one.

Don't give up hope, you can find one with a bit of luck and perseverance IMO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RadioactiveSpyder

Perhaps we’ve hit upon the ideal solution here in this thread: a MagnaCut sprint with titanium handles. Perhaps the ultimate Military one could make. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 pm
Perhaps we’ve hit upon the ideal solution here in this thread: a MagnaCut sprint with titanium handles. Perhaps the ultimate Military one could make. :)
I would so be all over that. Right know I would find something to trade or sell to buy a regular titanium military.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They could use mismatched leftover scales of completely random colors, they could use 2nds scales that have defects, so long as I get a MagnaCut Military blade that I can swap into something better I could care less what the rest of the handle details are. The more affordable the better, MagnaCut is a user steel through and through.
~David
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Liner lock. Ew.

Back lock Military, thank you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:46 pm
I've been spending a lot of time with this one lately. I so wish we'd see a SE Military run in a new steel.
Yeah we've just got to somehow convince the folks at the "Great Spyder Factory" to re-consider bringing back fully serrated C-36 Military models again. The Millie is just so stout and solid to work with that it's just a crying shame a guy can't buy one off of the showroom floor with factory TEETH on it like you can with so many other Military models.

I see that one of yours in S30V>> I've found out over the years that the 440V Military models in SE are the "cream of the crop" for blades with TEETH.
RadioactiveSpyder

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 pm
They could use mismatched leftover scales of completely random colors, they could use 2nds scales that have defects, so long as I get a MagnaCut Military blade that I can swap into something better I could care less what the rest of the handle details are. The more affordable the better, MagnaCut is a user steel through and through.
Hi David, I’m not saying they only need to run a MagnaCut one as a Ti-handled sprint, it’s just that it would be pretty amazing if they did. I only have Ti-handled ones now because of the very fact they are the hardest use versions I have come across. Certainly stouter than the G10 linerlocks IMHO (in feel for sure).

Regarding G10 handle colors being mismatched or seconds, while you can swap a new blade into a scale set you already have, most people don’t have that luxury. Dark gray, burgundy, navy blue, all are great G10 colors ready for prime time. There are so few Millies circulating these days on the secondary market, it’s essential they pick a great color because the swap options are fairly limited.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 pm
Hi David, I’m not saying they only need to run a MagnaCut one as a Ti-handled sprint, it’s just that it would be pretty amazing if they did. I only have Ti-handled ones now because of the very fact they are the hardest use versions I have come across. Certainly stouter than the G10 linerlocks IMHO (in feel for sure).

Regarding G10 handle colors being mismatched or seconds, while you can swap a new blade into a scale set you already have, most people don’t have that luxury. Dark gray, burgundy, navy blue, all are great G10 colors ready for prime time. There are so few Millies circulating these days on the secondary market, it’s essential they pick a great color because the swap options are fairly limited.

Right, I was just saying something extreme to get the point across that I really want one :D

My scale of choice would be solid fluted CF. It's fancy and high performance at the same time. Peel ply CF would do as well, though it would be very similar to the 52100 sprint. I think burgundy would be great too, it's an underutilized color.
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Just hoping an S110V Millie shows up in stock somewhere. Like S110V and love the blurple G10.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be thrilled with peel-ply CF and MagnaCut. I’ve no interest in titanium as that just blows up the cost, and in general I dislike metal handles. Dark forest green (or brown) micarta would be awesome too!

Now that it’s been said, I too am worried the Military 2 will steal sprints & exclusives from the current CQI millie. But to be clear, I don’t want anything in s30v or s35vn ever. Please make MagnaCut the production steel!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

MagnaCut seems to suit knives like the Military and Police very well with its increased toughness over other options, especially S30V. Would definitely like Military in MagnaCut. Standard G10 handle would be my preference.

We're probably quite a ways out from a "MagnaMillie" though, so for now I'm still on the lookout for S110V.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035