Millie Minority

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Re: Millie Minority

Post by Albertaboyscott »

The next military we're going to see is with magnacut! At least that's my hope.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:44 pm
My hope as well! SE and Burgundy would be the icing on the cake!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kells45

Post by kells45 »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm
I had a look at the Military. Blade shape looks practical, handle hand filling - but does it have to be that crazy long? I mean - the cutting edge is barely longer than on the Chief, but the handle is considerably longer - even though Chief ‘wastes’ a good portion of the blade on the choil. For very most of us that kind of handle size just makes it clunky.

With that said … all that devotion and love should be acknowledged and you guys get my vote for a tool steel Military - if any knife should have it, it is this one.
I had the same thoughts when I handled a cpm d2 military at a local shop. What would I do with such a large folder. I ended up getting the 52100 millie a few years later. The handle is very versatile. I’m still kicking myself for passing up the cpm d2 model. Switching from the military to my pm2, the pm2 is lacking in blade length and handle room.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:44 pm
My hope as well! SE and Burgundy would be the icing on the cake!
This would be amazing. I would also love to see a DLC option as well. :cool:
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
elena86

Post by elena86 »

We really need a Millie with a Cruwear coated blade and yeah… don’t touch the liner lock. Maybe another sprint with a frame lock. The CF/Ti KW exclusive in S90V is my most treasured spydie ever. It’s a gem !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

My Military S30V ComboEdge from Sep. 2005 still works great. The CQI enhancements from May 2016 were nice specially keeping with the liner lock.

Military had dry spells with no new models including Sprints/Exclusives from October 2013 to May 2016!

Then, 7 were released from May 2016 to February 2019 all with CQI enhancements but none sold particularly quickly:

1. Military CTS-204P Dark Green G-10 C36GGRP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2016
  2. Military 52100 Black CF C36CFP52100 Sprint (USA) - JUN 2016
  3. Military CPM-S110V Dark Blue G-10 C36GPDBL (USA) - AUG 2016
  4. Military CPM-M4 Natural G-10 C36GM4P BladeHQ (USA) - APR 2017
  5. Military CPM-S90V Black CF TitaniumI Reeve Integral Lock C36CFTIP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2017
  6. Military CPM-REX45 Burnt Orange G-10 C36GPBORE Sprint (USA) - NOV 2018
  7. Military CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Natural G-10 C36GM4PBK BladeHQ (USA) - FEB 2019
No new Military models since February 2019 which is more than two years ago.

The CQI enhancements came out in May 2016:
  • Larger pivot torx head and on both sides
  • Larger lanyard hole
  • Stepped stop pin
  • New clip
  • Standoffs instead of the solid backspacer
Right now, supplies of the Military production models seem fairly limited at many dealers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 am
Yeah I keep hoping for a CPM 4V Military from St Nick's or a Maxamet production model, but who knows when or even if these things will happen.

The Military needs more Sprint/Exclusives, but PLEASE stick with the liner lock! It suits the knife so much better IMO. I have no idea why we need yet another compression lock knife.
+1 concerning the linerlock.
And I also don t know why we need another comp.lock knife, especially since the great Millie linerlock is imho much better for its intended use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Oh yes, great idea. Military is excellent knife - still angry at myself for selling my only one Millie in digi camo from 2010. Even thought it became pricier I would definitely save some money on sprint Millie or regular production K390 Millie in current setup - Linerlock, lightweight G10... which I think should happen! Love Military range.

@sal, would there be some gap in production to make any of this happen in near future? I suppose all the factories are super busy now especially with all the exclusives and requested new knives from our forum fellows so there might not be time for this and we would absolutely understand.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have 4 in a range of steels, but I reserve the 5th spot for a Magnacut.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 am
My Military S30V ComboEdge from Sep. 2005 still works great. The CQI enhancements from May 2016 were nice specially keeping with the liner lock.

Military had dry spells with no new models including Sprints/Exclusives from October 2013 to May 2016!

Then, 7 were released from May 2016 to February 2019 all with CQI enhancements but none sold particularly quickly:

1. Military CTS-204P Dark Green G-10 C36GGRP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2016
  2. Military 52100 Black CF C36CFP52100 Sprint (USA) - JUN 2016
  3. Military CPM-S110V Dark Blue G-10 C36GPDBL (USA) - AUG 2016
  4. Military CPM-M4 Natural G-10 C36GM4P BladeHQ (USA) - APR 2017
  5. Military CPM-S90V Black CF TitaniumI Reeve Integral Lock C36CFTIP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2017
  6. Military CPM-REX45 Burnt Orange G-10 C36GPBORE Sprint (USA) - NOV 2018
  7. Military CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Natural G-10 C36GM4PBK BladeHQ (USA) - FEB 2019
No new Military models since February 2019 which is more than two years ago.

The CQI enhancements came out in May 2016:
  • Larger pivot torx head and on both sides
  • Larger lanyard hole
  • Stepped stop pin
  • New clip
  • Standoffs instead of the solid backspacer
Right now, supplies of the Military production models seem fairly limited at many dealers.
Nice summary, RamZar. I’ve snagged three of the seven, and couldn’t be happier.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

My Millies...
SE 440V x3
CF M390
M4 Ti RIL
S90V Ti RIL
Rex 45

Now Im not hanging out so much for sprints these days. But please bring back the SE Millie. My SE's are true workhorses, but given their age , they have seen much better days. I'd buy another two SE Millies tomorrow if I could!

As far as a comp lock version, I'd entertain the idea but it ONLY if it could still be handed easily with gloves. This is where current Millie shines IMO.

My 2 cents

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
brj

Post by brj »

I think it's fair to call the Military my grail knife, I have quite a bunch of them (24, to be precise) in different steels. They'll outlive me, that's for sure - but I'd still want to try out new steels on this platform.

However, to me the starting point would be this: make the fully serrated plain Jane S30V a mainstay in Spyderco's catalog, for the life of me I don't get it how come it's not already there.

I'll give the comp lock a try but can't promise to be bias-free after so many years of fondling the existing design :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

brj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:57 pm
I don't get it how come it's not already there.

Probably because of poor sales, and maybe even somewhat poor performance. It seems like people are slowly starting to wake up to the idea of SE, hopefully we see a new version with a thinner blade grind and more mellow serrations. Unfortunately the older ones are no match in performance compared to newer SE models like the Caribbean, due to the thicker blade grind and super deep serrations. If all they did was thin out the blade grind itself it would make a big difference with how thick the ridges are between the scallops. So far it's the one SE knife I just can't bring myself to reprofile because it's going to take so much work to thin it out, I'll probably go through a couple sets of diamond rods before it's finished.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

LetItBleed wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:58 pm
It’s been a long drought of any Millie sprints and exclusives maybe the Rex in 2018 was the last(pardon me if I got it wrong just going off memory). I know the stock levels lasted longer then the dealers would have liked on the exclusives in the past and maybe that’s the reason we haven’t seen any new exclusives but it’s a shame there hasn’t been a single run of exclusives or sprints for a few years.
The Military is my favorite knife and I know it’s not wildly popular but as new runs come and go and new models set the stage this lonely lover of yesterday’s forgotten waits patiently for a new Millie to come home.
Would like to hear from the Millie Minorities, misery loves company.
Well first off I find it extremely interesting that your forum name is the name of one of my favorite Rolling Stones albums :cool: Also the guitar god Johnny Winter did a helluva version of that song Let It Bleed as well>> check it out if you've never yet heard his version>> it's beyond "awesome".

I recently put my M390 Military into semi-retirement after carrying it as my main EDC for over 4 years. But with the new C-60 coming down the Spyderco pipeline I decided to EDC one of my C-60 Ayoob models for a while to prepare for the new C-60 coming our way soon.

I couldn't agree with you more that the C-36 Military is such a great blade for so many types of uses. It makes for an excellent hunter-folder and if your blade length laws will allow it makes for a great blade to take to work everyday. The C-36 Military and Para2 both are one of the main reasons I have an affinity for the Golden, CO made Spyderco models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 am
Yeah I keep hoping for a CPM 4V Military from St Nick's or a Maxamet production model, but who knows when or even if these things will happen.

The Military needs more Sprint/Exclusives, but PLEASE stick with the liner lock! It suits the knife so much better IMO. I have no idea why we need yet another compression lock knife.
Thanks for bringing up the "lock issue" Meat Man :) Because with all the C-36 Military models I've owned and used over the years I've never ever had the liner lock on any of the Military models ever fail on me. Oh sure there are other locking systems that I like a bit better than the liner lock>> but it works superbly on the C-36 Military model. It's a classic case of "If It Ain't Broke, Then Don't Try To Fix It".

Also I would be on board for a CPM 4V version. But a K390 version is one I would love to try as a main EDC as well. But again thanks for making the point that the liner lock on the C-36 Military model works just fine. ;)
FlaneurWatches

Post by FlaneurWatches »

Couldn't find this question anywhere else, and this thread seems like the right place for it.

Does anyone know if the Military going to get the same treatment as the Paramilitary 2 with a switch from S30V to S45V?

I have a have a S30V Military that I love but unfortunately I got a little carried away with a new sharpener and wouldn't mind picking up a new one. A "new and improved" steel wouldn't hurt either.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear FlaneurWatches:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm still waiting for a Maxamet and K390 sprint. Only been a couple years waiting for that K390. I'd say the police 4 scratched the K390 itch but sometimes you just want a millie.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

FlaneurWatches wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:55 pm
Couldn't find this question anywhere else, and this thread seems like the right place for it.

Does anyone know if the Military going to get the same treatment as the Paramilitary 2 with a switch from S30V to S45V?

I have a have a S30V Military that I love but unfortunately I got a little carried away with a new sharpener and wouldn't mind picking up a new one. A "new and improved" steel wouldn't hurt either.

I would expect them to eventually, but I imagine there is still enough stock of S30V Militaries to last a while. That is all just as guess, I haven't heard anything about it and don't know how regularly they are producing batches of Militaries.
So it goes.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tagline-worthy phrases in this thread:

“more mellow serrations”

“sometimes you just want a millie”
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”