Back to Spyderco after 20 years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toasty99

Back to Spyderco after 20 years

Post by Toasty99 »

Long story short,
As a teen Spyderco was my introduction into higher end knives. I was big into the Delica and Native which I carried nearly exclusively. Then i got into some other brands and for some time collecting other things like guns and such.

Fast forward to day: A friend showed me a couple of modded PM2'S which he owns and I was star struck! I find myself searching the web for different models, steels, colors, ect. I feel a bit lost in today's Spydie world... Is the availability of these knives and price jumps do to covid, increase in steel quality, or just where the knife market is now for Spyderco? Any suggestion on how to track knife releases such as this forum, discord, or a fb group?

I would love to find a PM2 which is above the basic (maybe a color g10 or upgrade from s30v steel) but most sites are either sold out or say coming soon... Any way to keep updated on when these get stocked/released?

Ps I had to make a new forum account which I lost my email used here in the late 90s early 2000s.
sal

Re: Back to Spyderco after 20 years

Post by sal »

Hi Toasty,

Welcome back. I think this forum is probably the best source of information on your searches.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hi Toasty, and welcome!

The best way to keep up on new releases is the Spyderco app. It has push notifications, so you can get notified when Spyderco ships sprint runs out. You can also watch this forum (almost everything gets posted here) or just follow the various retailers on Facebook or Instagram for announcements about their exclusive drops.

Are the s110v PM2s out of stock everywhere right now? They are regular production, so they are usually not to hard to get.

My advice is to try a Manix. That's the one that drew me deep down the rabbit hole. The combination of relatively inexpensive platforms for high end steels (like the lightweight s110v and Maxamet) and high end feel in the g-10 versions has made me collect a ton of them.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Welcome Toasty,

Sounds like sprints and exclusives are what you're looking for. Tom did a good job of laying out how to stay informed. There is also the secondary market, like Knife Swap on reddit, Blade exchange on bladeforums, and ebay. You will generally pay more for sprints and exclusives on the secondary market especially for New In Box knives, but you can find great deals on lightly carried sprints if you are patient and look around often.

BladeHQ, DLT, Knifecenter, Knifeworks, Knifejoy are just a few of the dealers that regularly order exclusive runs, and always have sprint runs. There are many great knife dealers this is not an exhaustive list.

Enjoy your time here.

Edit: Do you have a color or steel preference? Bright colors? High carbon tool steel? Rustproof steel? Wear-resistance & toughness? "Sharpenablility" ?
Last edited by Airlsee on Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m all about the limited sprints/exclusives too, mainly because I love using different steels. I passed on this one, but if it appeals to you knifejoy has an exclusive pm2 that’s currently available. Spyderco’s 20cv is a great choice.
https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-c81gpngrb ... ade-knife/
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

If you haven't already done it, subscribe to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88444

RamZar does an incredible job of keeping the thread updated with all the new releases. (The link is for the 2021 thread; RamZar will start a new thread for 2022 when the new year gets closer.)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I think the Spyderco app could be a good way to find out about exclusives. I don’t use my app much but if you download and turn on notifications you could try it and delete it if it doesn’t work.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 am
Hi Toasty, and welcome!

The best way to keep up on new releases is the Spyderco app. It has push notifications, so you can get notified when Spyderco ships sprint runs out. You can also watch this forum (almost everything gets posted here) or just follow the various retailers on Facebook or Instagram for announcements about their exclusive drops.

Are the s110v PM2s out of stock everywhere right now? They are regular production, so they are usually not to hard to get.

My advice is to try a Manix. That's the one that drew me deep down the rabbit hole. The combination of relatively inexpensive platforms for high end steels (like the lightweight s110v and Maxamet) and high end feel in the g-10 versions has made me collect a ton of them.
Same.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I have a brand new PM2 in S90v with OD green scales I've decided to get rid of.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You've missed arguably the best 20 years of the company so far. You've got a lot of catching up to do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Toasty99 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:53 am
Long story short,
As a teen Spyderco was my introduction into higher end knives. I was big into the Delica and Native which I carried nearly exclusively. Then i got into some other brands and for some time collecting other things like guns and such.

Fast forward to day: A friend showed me a couple of modded PM2'S which he owns and I was star struck! I find myself searching the web for different models, steels, colors, ect. I feel a bit lost in today's Spydie world... Is the availability of these knives and price jumps do to covid, increase in steel quality, or just where the knife market is now for Spyderco? Any suggestion on how to track knife releases such as this forum, discord, or a fb group?

I would love to find a PM2 which is above the basic (maybe a color g10 or upgrade from s30v steel) but most sites are either sold out or say coming soon... Any way to keep updated on when these get stocked/released?

Ps I had to make a new forum account which I lost my email used here in the late 90s early 2000s.
Only advice I can give is......avoid the plastic handles...stick with G10 and Steel liners ;)
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Chuck James wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Toasty99 wrote:
Only advice I can give is......avoid the plastic handles...stick with G10 and Steel liners ;)
While I also prefer G10/steel liners, You would be missing out on so many great model/steel options if you followed this advice.

Get a K390 Endela. As an everyday user it is hard to beat.

I also took a break from Spyderco for years and wish I could have been around for more than a few releases. But if you have patience there is always new stuff coming out. eBay prices for old sprints are getting worse by the day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings Toasty and welcome to SPYDERVILLE :cool: There is a Sprint Run model you need to be advised of and you also might want to put this down in your calendar. I don't know if you were around in 2002 when the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model was first launched. But if you were here at that time slot then I assume you are aware of the model?

Spyderco has a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in the works. Now we don't yet have a date of release but we've had a thread about the C-60 model running strong for about a year now. The Sprint Run will offer the C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE both. It is an awesome EDC knife in both edge types and is one of the very best Spyderco model in fully serrated I've ever used. Many of us are on pins and needles waiting for this new C-60 model to arrive.

Also there are some new models with K390 blade steel that you might also want to take a serious look at. Great that you found your way back home again to SPYDERVILLE and we hope you enjoy your stay.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:52 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Toasty99 wrote:
While I also prefer G10/steel liners, You would be missing out on so many great model/steel options if you followed this advice.

I also took a break from Spyderco for years and wish I could have been around for more than a few releases. But if you have patience there is always new stuff coming out. eBay prices for old sprints are getting worse by the day.
For me.....a great steel in a cheap plastic handle doesn't make for a well built knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Chuck James wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 am
FourStringFiend wrote:
Chuck James wrote:
Toasty99 wrote:

For me.....a great steel in a cheap plastic handle doesn't make for a well built knife.
I have seen exactly 1 FRN handle broken here on the forum that I can recall, and it was run over by a bobcat while the blade was stuck into the ground. "Cheap" is your perception and sadly you are missing great knives.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:20 pm
You've missed arguably the best 20 years of the company so far. You've got a lot of catching up to do.
Catching up has been part of the fun for me.

Hey Toasty, welcome, and don’t overlook the Spydiewiki (http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) to help you grasp the scope of what you’ve missed and can still find…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Chuck James wrote:
FourStringFiend wrote:
Chuck James wrote:
Toasty99 wrote:

:) I have had the same G2 steel delica with a clip it handle since 1993 in my edc pocket
So it’s basically hard to say it’s cheap cruddy plastic :rolleyes:

Frn is my absolute favorite knife blank / handle material, so light and tough, perfect for EDC, in ranch and maritime, outdoor sports, G-10 feels heavy and clunky IMO “ but call me crazy for carrying it since the 1990’s “
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Chuck James wrote:
FourStringFiend wrote:
Chuck James wrote:
Toasty99 wrote:

Clearly you haven’t used them much if that’s how you describe them. That’s ok, everybody’s wrong sometimes and you’re well within your rights to be!

FWIW you can prefer the feel of g10 (I reach for it plenty often), but some of us value a durable, ergonomic handle (good lord the rounding on some of the edges is incredible) that doesn’t weigh down our pockets all day!
Toasty99

Post by Toasty99 »

Wow guys thank you for all of your comments and suggestions!!! And is that reply THE Sal?! This forum is awesome. I will subscibe to the suggested threat and install the Spydie app.

It was asked above what I am looking for next...
I really like the compression lock of the PM2 AND i do not own anything with that lock and most of my blades are a bit smaller so thought it would be a nice change. I will also check out the Manix that was suggested. As for color I am not super picky as long as its not super ugly. As for steel I am still finding a new favorite since things have advanced so much over the years. I live in South Florida so something that is low maintenance from rust is a huge plus and holds a good edge. I am not a very hard user on my knives especially nicer ones.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nice, the Caribbean may be one you want to check out.

Comparable size to the PM2, compression lock, and rustproof LC200N holds a good edge and sharpens easily. Odd color scheme but it can be dyed.

There is certainly more than one knife to satisfy your needs, the journey is yours enjoy!
So it goes.