A Spyderco piercing knife…?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Re: A Spyderco piercing knife…?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Considering all these notes, it appears my answer isn’t a piercing knife. It’s the swick. Right…?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I mean no offense, but I suggest you do a little research in to what really happens in an animal attack, and what sorts of animals in your area actually pose a threat to humans. The idea of using a dagger to stab an attacking hawk or coyote to death is absolutely ludicrous. These animals are simply not a real danger to humans if you look at actual data.

Equally unlikely is the idea of stopping a bear with any sort of edged weapon. I’m assuming you’re talking about black bears, which by the numbers pose much less danger to a human than say, the weather (death by exposure.)

The nut job danger is much more legitimate, but again by the numbers, the odds of getting in to a knife fight in the woods probably don’t justify the $250 purpose-built weapon you propose. I do like your design however, it reminds me of the daggers that medieval knights used to finish off armored opponents.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:17 am
I mean no offense, but I suggest you do a little research in to what really happens in an animal attack, and what sorts of animals in your area actually pose a threat to humans. The idea of using a dagger to stab an attacking hawk or coyote to death is absolutely ludicrous. These animals are simply not a real danger to humans if you look at actual data.

Equally unlikely is the idea of stopping a bear with any sort of edged weapon. I’m assuming you’re talking about black bears, which by the numbers pose much less danger to a human than say, the weather (death by exposure.)

The nut job danger is much more legitimate, but again by the numbers, the odds of getting in to a knife fight in the woods probably don’t justify the $250 purpose-built weapon you propose. I do like your design however, it reminds me of the daggers that medieval knights used to finish off armored opponents.
Yep no I get it. The idea has been scrapped.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

There is still this!!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:54 pm
It’s come to my attention that this would be somewhat illegal to have or use. So it’s fair to say this whole idea is a wash, thanks for the feedback!

I saw this photo on Serge Panchenko’s insta story just now:
Everything is illegal.

I looked for the above image on Instagram and could not fine it. Do you have a link?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Over the years I've owned some Spyderco and Benchmade models that could be defined as "piercing knives". One older model that immediately comes to mind is Spyderco's older C-50 Centofante>> it most certainly had a needle type point to qualify.

For a few years even before I got my first Spyderco blade I had a Benchmade Boguszewski Spike model 640 that I EDCed for quite some time. That blade could fall under the definition of a "dirk or dagger" and it had one of the most wicked pointed blades I ever had. But you never heard anything said about either one of those models when they were popular in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Personally I love folders with a needle type point and find them extremely handy on certain jobs. I have one JD Smith model that I carry on special occasions and it sure has a very narrow type point on it. In recent memory it seemed like the Spyderco "Des Horn" model could have also been put in that category.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:34 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:54 pm
It’s come to my attention that this would be somewhat illegal to have or use. So it’s fair to say this whole idea is a wash, thanks for the feedback!

I saw this photo on Serge Panchenko’s insta story just now:
Everything is illegal.

I looked for the above image on Instagram and could not fine it. Do you have a link?
Was posted to Serge Panchenko’s instagram story.
Lightly insane.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

the BM Auto Fact might fit the proposed use case, but as others have said, deep wounds to center mass are not a reliable way to stop an animal attack.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

aaronkb wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:48 am
Longtime martial artist here. Going to speak solely about defense against a human attacker as that’s what I know something about.

From a justifiable and effective self-defense perspective, your priority is to stop the attack as quickly as possible. If that’s the goal, slashing (which is likely to cut across and disrupt the function of muscles/tendons) is arguable a lot better than stabbing (which might cause death but isn’t as likely to immediately stop your attacker).

But most importantly, do you have any training in armed or unarmed self defense? If you’re not trained in the use of a knife, you shouldn’t in a million years consider it an effective tool for you. You’re just as likely to get killed while struggling to get the weapon into the fight, and even then you won’t be particularly effective with it. First thing’s first, get some quality training.
Aaron knows what he is talking about. Listen! As a 6th degree Black Belt [that and $2.50 will get me a cup of coffee] i know that training of the mind is far more important than some fancy knife. In a self defense situation your brain has to have somewhere to go or panic prevails. Martial arts training gives the brain control of your physical being in those situations. From a martial arts standpoint a knife makes a fine tool, but a poor weapon. There are many better choices. With any of them "train the brain" is imperative.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Knives, bolos, machetes, katanas, and samurai swords make for fine weapons. You just need training and time with them. Most escrima, arnis, and kalis martial arts do not use belts. And in any case, it's the fight in the dog that determines outcomes not belts.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Hardbawl wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:37 am
that and $2.50 will get me a cup of coffee
This comment alone tells me you were taught right :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has had some really nice past models that have excellent piercing abilities. The JD Smith, The Howard Viele, The C-50 Centofante and my dearly beloved C-60 Ayoob would all do very well for that type of cutting job.

You don't just have to have a specified "piercing knife" for that type of self defense weapon. Actually I would prefer using something like a JD Smith or C-60 Ayoob over such a knife as that. Because those types of knives have a lot more to offer overall.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

It might be useful to note that the style of dagger that inspired this discussion had a specific historical application. When chain mail and plate armor were common, stout thrusting daggers were developed to punch through the mail or to be thrust through the joints of the armor. At close range, they were one of the few ways of working past that protection. The Japanese yoroi-toshi was independently developed for the exact same application.

From a historical and aesthetic perspective, such specialized blades are fascinating and beautiful; however, that doesn't make them better for modern self-defense use.

As far as concealable thrusting weapons are concerned, the clandestine sleeve daggers and commando nails carried by the OSS and SOE during WWII are probably as better "model" for modern versions, but their efficacy as fight-stopping defensive weapons is still doubtful. Here are some examples from the awesome website https://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com.

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:04 pm
There is still this!!

With SE on one side and the rest a tanto, I'd buy that so fast. Make it in H1 and I'd be all over it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Danke

Post by Danke »

Problem solved
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Danke wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 am

Problem solved
All we need is for that sprint to come around :D
Lightly insane.

Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Dazen wrote:
There is still this!!

Liked this when I first saw it, still like it!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 am
Dazen wrote:
There is still this!!

With SE on one side and the rest a tanto, I'd buy that so fast. Make it in H1 and I'd be all over it.

Even if Sal reversed the ring so it sat below the blade like the Swick would work well! Or even a US made Balisong with this blade profile would be awesome, since it would be restricted anyway. Ti and LC200N/Magnacut of course.
Last edited by Dazen on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

Matriarch 2 with Emerson opening is what I would select.

Good luck,

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

As a student of the knife and machete arts of Bahala Na, Mata Sa Bagyo, Inayan, SLD, and Defensor Method I'll stick to carrying my Spyderco S90V Native Chief.

If I'm looking for something fixed I'll carry either KA-BAR Becker Harpoon or a Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain.