Are you a knife steel nerd?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: Are you a knife steel nerd?

Post by Naperville »

2 Shirts and Larrin's new book!

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

That red looks nice.
You are a proud KSN
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I am a patron. Rarely have time to keep up but am happy to contribute none the less. Knife science, advancements, and general steel geekery is a passion of mine and I'm glad I can make a small contribution to the cause.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Apparently I missed this thread during vacation. You guys are very kind.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mine NSN shirt apparently got lost in the mail, they are trying to find it or sending me a new one.

I’ll get a Magnacut shirt once I own the steel. The Mule can’t come soon enough!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Actually I kind of go both ways on steel selection. Sure I've got a few of the newer/better blade steel folders but I've also still got a few of the older folders and fixed blades with steels like VG-10, ATS-55, AUS-8, 440V and so forth.

My M390 Military model is a great EDC folder and I carried it steadily for over 4 years before I switched. When it comes to serrated and/or Spyderedged models I've actually found that many of the older steels give great performance so I'm not nearly as critical about the steels in my SE unit as I am with my PE blades.

But yes blade steel has been a primary consideration with any new purchase or trade I pursue.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:54 am
Apparently I missed this thread during vacation. You guys are very kind.
Had to make good on my promise to buy one if you made them. Glad you did.

I still think a Clark Kent character (your likeness maybe?) with the trade mark glasses changing out of his suit and to to reveal Magna Cut Man whilst opening his folder would be rad. Magna Cut Man! The man of Super Steel!

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As I said in my previous post: In the context of this forum I am certainly not a knife steel nerd yet. I don't know a whole lot about steels, tried some, know what works for me and that's about it.
Still: I really like to read Larrins great articles and learned a ton by doing so...:)

Hope that makes me worthy of wearing my knife steel nerd shirt... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My shirts were delivered a couple days ago. I think they're great!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just wanted to give this thread a bump! :)

I am still very happy with my shirt (really good quality!) and I think this is a good and "win-win" - way to support Larrins great work and all the good stuff he shares here. I for myself learned a ton already from it!

And, for Europeans: I paid only 20 Euros for my Shirt, shipping included (shipping was around 7 Euros). And no tariffs and taxes at all. so i guess if one orders a shirt from Europe, it is made/printed here also. Actually must be, since mine arrived really fast, can´t have come from overseas (even less for that low shipping costs)

https://www.teepublic.com/de/user/knifesteelnerds

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I felt like I was going to come into this thread to say absolutely, now I feel inadequate for not even having a shirt about them.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Love my shirt, but sadly I will only be wearing this shirt around the house while sharpening knives. I got a 2X heather green and while it fits in the shoulders it is not athletic cut so it is too big around my torso and not long enough. Also, it started to unravel at the the bottom before I even washed it and the logo is off center crooked. But to their defense I have many shirts that didn’t screen print well in my size.

Anyway, I’m happy to support Larrin even if it is just around the house!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 pm
Love my shirt, but sadly I will only be wearing this shirt around the house while sharpening knives. I got a 2X heather green and while it fits in the shoulders it is not athletic cut so it is too big around my torso and not long enough. Also, it started to unravel at the the bottom before I even washed it and the logo is off center crooked. But to their defense I have many shirts that didn’t screen print well in my size.

Anyway, I’m happy to support Larrin even if it is just around the house!
This is weird: I normally have the exact same issue with many shirts: Not cut athletic enough, if the fit is right in shoulders and chest, they are often a lot to wide in the torso/belly.

Not with this one though. Fits well and is actually very long.

So I guess they just print the motto on whatever shirt they have in stock?
Or the US TSpring shirts have a different fit than the European (where I live) ones?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mine is perfect. Might want to return yours and get a different shirt all together. Mine is XL and just a regular tee.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

My shirts seem pretty nice though I wear a medium.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20210824-110159_Gallery.jpg
I consider myself an enthusiast who is wearing a cool t shirt. And i should have gotten a larger size but im always learning.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."