Small knife with satisfying action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OakTree

Small knife with satisfying action

Post by OakTree »

I've rediscovered my Dragonfly 2. It's the right size and weight, and the aesthetics please me. Unfortunately, the action does not satisfy me. The action on my Para 3 does satisfy me. I'm not sure why the action on the Para 3 is so nice. Is it the compression lock? Is it the washers between steel walls?
Can you guys recommend a Dragonfly-like knife that has great action? Is the Lil Native what I'm looking for?
Hambone

Re: Small knife with satisfying action

Post by Hambone »

Before I got to the end I was going to say lil native. Big fan of the lil knife!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Native comp lock is what you seek
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:04 pm
Is the compression lock what makes the action smooth?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Use your dragonfly and it'll get smoother. The Para 3 is built very differently and is smoother as a result. Lock mechanism is a part of that.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Zive

Post by Zive »

I also was leaning toward Lil Native, but know that the improved action comes with significantly thicker blade stock.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

OakTree wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:04 pm
Is the compression lock what makes the action smooth?
Sort of...

Any lock can have "smooth" action. I would bet your dragonfly is in fact smooth.

I think what you are referring to is resistance to opening/movement.

Anyway, after overcoming the detent, a comp lock probably would have less resistance to movement as there is a small detent ball and probably less spring tension compared to a backlock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

araneae wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 pm
Use your dragonfly and it'll get smoother. The Para 3 is built very differently and is smoother as a result. Lock mechanism is a part of that.
I'll try that and see how it goes. The opening action is actually not that bad. It's the closing that bugs me. I have to drop my thumb to the backlock, jiggle the knife or push the blade with my finger, then reposition my hand so my fingers are out of the way, and then close the knife. Nowhere near as satisfying as a compression lock close, where I reposition my hand once and the blade folds smoothly into the closed position.
Ric

Post by Ric »

There is nothing available.

I love the action of the Para 3 / Para 3 lightweight.
I carry now mainly the dragonfly as it's smaller and lighter and has still a big enough blade and good action.

I had a few lil native compression locks.
The action is ok but not as good as a Para 3.
It's a tank. A tiny bit too small and the ricasso tab touches the index finger at closing.

I have high hopes for the lil native lightweight.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@oaktree

With the dragonfly I catch the blade at the choil with the index finger. The close it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Rhino might be another good option if you like the compression lock.

As for the DF closing, I put my index finger in the hole and push the lock release, pivoting the blade down. Then, I put my index finger on the spine of the blade, or my thumb, and snap it closed. Easy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:52 pm
As for the DF closing, I put my index finger in the hole and push the lock release, pivoting the blade down. Then, I put my index finger on the spine of the blade, or my thumb, and snap it closed. Easy.
I was getting to write the same comment when I saw this. Ditto, Dan.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Need to pick apart exactly what about the action you like or dislike and go from there. For starters you're comparing a back lock to a compression lock, so I'm guessing part of it may be the stronger self close bias of a back lock feeling harder to open vs a compression lock where you only need to overcome the detent to start the opening process and then there's much less resistance throughout the rest of the opening action.

Ergonomics are big factor here too, things like thumb hole placement and how far the hole stands out from the handle (thumb ramp vs no thumb ramp for example) and for this reason you may not like the Native family since thumb ramps typically make the opening action feel easier and position your thumb in a bit more relaxed position for opening.

If just the general smoothness of the action is what you're focusing on, then it may be washers vs no washers. FRN lightweight knives without washers will smooth out over time, as will back locks in general because part of the resistance you feel during opening is the lock bar dragging along the tang, and where those two meet will wear into each other and smooth out over time. A little lube also helps.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If you just want a more solid feel, but like the D'fly design and lock, there are the G10 and Stainless versions.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

All my Chaparrals are super smooth. In many ways they feel like a slightly larger upgraded dragonfly, but with smoother backlocks.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

It's the lock and yes the compression lock is much "more smooth". I love the Lil' Native and I think that would be what you are looking for in a smaller knife. It is flickable, smooth, strong, and a little tank of a knife. Try the Lil' Native (comp lock)!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
FK

Post by FK »

Nano-Oil in 10W will smooth out any Spyderco.

Regards,
FK
Matus

Post by Matus »

It is also my impression that it is easier to make a knife with a larger (heavier) blade with a nice smooth action - especially with back-lock knives (Native Chief has an action that I would definitely describe as satisfying). Litte knives where the blade is short and often lightweight - this gets more complicated as little friction in the pivot/lock suffices for the knife to requite too an aggressive 'wrist flick' to get the blade to move.

With that said - the Lil Native is a cute little knife (the blade is thick, but nobody is going to cut carrots or large volume of cardboard with it), but not everyone loves the way the 'nib' at the end of the finger choil interferes with the compression lock ... I did not (but I only have little time to play with it).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The Lil’ Native comp lock and Urban are my favorite small knives. Both very different and very satisfying.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think what you're probably feeling is just blade mass.