Small knife with satisfying action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Henry_P

Re: Small knife with satisfying action

Post by Henry_P »

I think the two smallest knives that would be what you are looking for are the lil native or the sage 5.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Chaparrals are nicer, smoother, but heavier and bigger than the SE DF2 Salt. I like them all, but they are different use knives.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

The Dice is a small knife with great action. It might be a bit larger than what you are looking for and it is discontinued (but still can be found).

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

The Brouwer is a great small knife if you want To try a Frame lock
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Oh man am I too late? Because…

Rhino !!! Rhino !!! Rhino !!!

It may need a little work when you first get it, polishing washers, etc. But oh man is it snappy. The Lil’ Native is, fine… But the funkier option is always the best one.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:48 pm
Never heard of that one before. Looks nice. That price though...
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Oh man am I too late? Because…

Rhino !!! Rhino !!! Rhino !!!

It may need a little work when you first get it, polishing washers, etc. But oh man is it snappy. The Lil’ Native is, fine… But the funkier option is always the best one.
Too late for what? I'm just going to continue using my Dragonfly.
I don't particularly like the look of the Rhino.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco can really brag that they have put out some really great small bladed models over the years. And you are not the only one who likes that Dragonfly or the Dragonfly Hawkbill.

But I still think of all the small bladed Spyderco models I've ever used I still find the Dodo model to be the best for as short of a blade as it has.

Also I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Caly Jr.>> that short bladed model has huge fanfare all over.
Matus

Post by Matus »

OakTree wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:39 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
I have one - it has the best ergonomics of all knives I have ever handled (love the finger choil without jimping). The edge length is actually nearly identical to Chaparral, but the handle fill the hand much better. The knife is super smooth and superbly well made. I have immediately ordered an MXG titanium deep carry clip - fits the knife like it was there from the start. It is my EDC for the city as it looks very 'gentle and non-threatening'.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

FWIW I have two dragonflies, and their actions are really different, and I bet it's the blade finish. My K390 Dfly has significant resistance to closing with the pivot adjusted for no horizontal play. I can still start the blade closed with a shake for one-handed closing, but it's not super smooth. My H1 Dfly has zero blade play, and the blade drops shut immediately upon depressing the lock. I *think* it's because the satin finish on the H1 'fly is very smooth and shiny, where the K390 has more of a machine finish.
FourStringFiend

Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:34 pm
OakTree wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:39 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
I have one - it has the best ergonomics of all knives I have ever handled (love the finger choil without jimping). The edge length is actually nearly identical to Chaparral, but the handle fill the hand much better. The knife is super smooth and superbly well made. I have immediately ordered an MXG titanium deep carry clip - fits the knife like it was there from the start. It is my EDC for the city as it looks very 'gentle and non-threatening'.
I think for what you are getting the price is comparable to other Taichung models with similar materials/lock, it’s just small. I do think it is better with the MXG clip though so that is added price.

A CQI with a deeper carry wire clip and possible steel upgrade for the same price would sell better but I’m sure that won’t happen.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:14 pm
A CQI with a deeper carry wire clip and possible steel upgrade for the same price would sell better but I’m sure that won’t happen.
Are you still talking about the Brouwer or the Dragonfly?
The Dragonfly is great but there's still room for improvement. The clip screw should be sunken so the top is flush with the scales. The action needs to be smoother (a flipper Dragonfly would be great), and the steel should be upgraded (but not at an increased price).
For now, I'm going to keep carrying the Dragonfly, and fidgeting with the Para3. I'll probably get the Civivi Baby Banter when it becomes available. It will probably have much better action than the Dragonfly, but unfortunately won't be as good looking (and will probably weigh more).
FourStringFiend

OakTree wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:45 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:14 pm
Are you still talking about the Brouwer or the Dragonfly?
The Dragonfly is great but there's still room for improvement. The clip screw should be sunken so the top is flush with the scales. The action needs to be smoother (a flipper Dragonfly would be great), and the steel should be upgraded (but not at an increased price).
For now, I'm going to keep carrying the Dragonfly, and fidgeting with the Para3. I'll probably get the Civivi Baby Banter when it becomes available. It will probably have much better action than the Dragonfly, but unfortunately won't be as good looking (and will probably weigh more).
I went off on a Brouwer tangent. It doesn’t get enough love around here. I think it’s a great knife but you don’t need to spend that much to get what you’re looking for.

I would go with everyone else’s suggestions. Any one of them are good choices.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

After a good clean & lube, and a little adjusting the pivot, my Lil Native's action is actually better than my Para3. Love that "lil" guy.
benben

Post by benben »

G-10 Dragonfly, very smooth and great lockup!
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

As far as backlock knives go, my SpyOpera has the best action of any.
The ball bearing pivot is so satisfying to play with.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

OakTree wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:06 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:04 pm
Lil Native comp lock is what you seek
Is the compression lock what makes the action smooth?

Without reading every reply.

The pivot bushing and the compression lock are what make the action significantly different than the Dfly.
So it goes.
FK

Post by FK »

My vote is the Delica & Dragonfly series,,,, light weight FRN and many interesting steel alloys available.
Slim and comfortable carry, I like the shirt pocket in winter.

Regards,
FK
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Since you ask for a DF2 alternative, I would ask—in hono(u)r of the late Cliff Stamp—what do you mean by “small”, “action”, and indeed “satisfying”? :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:51 am
Since you ask for a DF2 alternative, I would ask—in hono(u)r of the late Cliff Stamp—what do you mean by “small”, “action”, and indeed “satisfying”? :)
Small: Same size as the Dragonfly.
Action: Opening and closing.
Satisfying: Fast. Smooth. Solid. Effortless.