Cliff Stamp has passed away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Cliff Stamp has passed away

Post by Mushroom »

Sad to hear! My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Cliff
-Nick :bug-red
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Terribly sad news to read today. I learned more from Cliff than almost anyone else, and have used his work as a reference for decades now. He will be deeply missed and remembered forever.
attila

Post by attila »

I never got to know him, but I learned a lot from him and had been hoping for more videos...

RIP Cliff!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Cliff was one of the voices that I learned to listen to early on in my knife journey. He was always consistent and principled. I understand why he didn’t get along with everyone but that was their loss then, and everyone’s loss now. I never met or interacted with him but I will always value his advice and guidance.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I'm sad. Cliff was directly responsible for stimulating my interest in steels and more importantly my understanding of the importance of edge geometry.
I never understood why some took offense to his shared insights as he always struck me as intelligent, considerate, and patient.
I will miss his contributions.
Thank you Shawn for sharing the news.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to really enjoy talking to Cliff on the Forum when he was still posting here in Spyderville. I'm truly sorry to hear of his passing. He always took time to answer any PMs or e-mails I sent to him and he was very helpful with sharing his knowledge. RIP Cliff
James Y

Post by James Y »

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

I remember Cliff Stamp from many years ago, on BF. I don’t think I was frequenting this forum much (if at all) during the time Cliff was here. IIRC, I think I only had one interaction with him on BF, asking him a question about something, and he seemed very congenial, and was very knowledgeable.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I must be living under a rock. I've heard his name around here a few times over the years, but didn't realize how large of an impact he had on the knife community and everything he had learned and passed along.

Condolences to all his friends, family and followers.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

R.I.P. Dr. Stamp. You helped teach people to think.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

**** this is terrible news.
Josh
Nate

Post by Nate »

A bit at a loss for words… I learned so much from Cliff, and it went far beyond knives.

On the lighter side, I don’t know what will happen with his forum or how long it will be up, but his “B-Movie Reviews” thread is pure gold:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?1,32972
:spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

RIP Cliff Stamp. Thank you for your knowledge and teaching.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I learned much from reading his posts in various forums. I am saddened by the news of his passing.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

His intelligence and commitment were undeniable, his lack of interest in pussyfooting was admirable. You might remember him as a teacher of previously untold knife technique and technology, or as that guy on a forum who really didn't care if you agreed with his point of view (backed by exhaustively designed testing), but either way none of us are likely to forget him.

Hopefully he knew how much his input to this hobby/business/pursuit was respected, valued and appreciated, it's too late to tell him now, but I will anyway: Thank you Cliff Stamp for all you did over the years to enlighten and enrich this oddball corner of the tech-nerd world!

May you be surrounded by friends and sharp things wherever you are now.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:50 pm
I must be living under a rock. I've heard his name around here a few times over the years, but didn't realize how large of an impact he had on the knife community and everything he had learned and passed along.
I only caught some of his posts. My impression is he brought some rigor to topics that were previously dominated by regurgitated opinions. Sharpening, geometry, steel performance, etc. Stuff we might take for granted now.

Remember, 20 years ago people were ooohing and aaaahing about this maker’s forging technique or that company’s special 420 heat treatment. There’s a lot less of that belief in magic now and I think that’s mainly because people like Cliff started measuring things.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:30 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:50 pm
I only caught some of his posts. My impression is he brought some rigor to topics that were previously dominated by regurgitated opinions. Sharpening, geometry, steel performance, etc. Stuff we might take for granted now.

Remember, 20 years ago people were ooohing and aaaahing about this maker’s forging technique or that company’s special 420 heat treatment. There’s a lot less of that belief in magic now and I think that’s mainly because people like Cliff started measuring things.
I think instead of browsing knives and the forum during downtime at work, I'm going to do some research on this man over the next couple days. I briefly browsed here and caught a few posts from Sal referencing Mr Stamp and his findings, not to mention the admiration from many of the long time members here.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Nerv102

Post by Nerv102 »

R.I.P Cliff, you were one of the first people i can remember watching and reading posts from when i realized that there was an actual knife community. And you always answered my questions. And for that I'm very grateful. May you always be remembered through your videos and posts and all the knowledge you shared. Time to rest now Cliff.. may your friends and family find strength.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Thank you Shawn for letting us know.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

So sorry to hear this. RIP Cliff Stamp. Gonna miss you.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

wow. Very sad news for sure. What a huge and outstanding influence he was to myself, and so many others. He gave so much, and I learned so much. Thank you Cliff for all that you did. You are, and will be missed. Thank you Shawn for letting us know.
R.I.P. Cliff

u.w.