Cliff Stamp has passed away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Cliff Stamp has passed away

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess it doesn't really matter but I can't help at least asking>> Does anyone know how old Cliff Stamp was at the time of his passing? It seems like I remember his Birthday rolling around a while back and I think he was in his early to mid 50s if I remember correctly. I've tried to keep track of several of the Birthdays they list here on the Forum.

But I figure that some of you guys who knew him better might know how old he was. Also I'm curious as to what health problem caused his death? I don't see any of that in any of the stuff I've found on the Forums and so forth. If anyone knows I would be interested.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Clifford Francis Joseph Stamp
September 21, 1973 – June 25, 2021
RIP
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Way too young...47
James Y

Post by James Y »

I was surprised to learn that Cliff was 10 years younger than me. For some reason, I always pictured him as around the same age, or a bit older. Yes, he passed way too young.

Jim
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I've been watching his videos few years ago.
RIP
Patko

Post by Patko »

RIP.
--mitja
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:05 pm
Clifford Francis Joseph Stamp
September 21, 1973 – June 25, 2021
RIP
I am only one month older than Cliff. 8/21/1973
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I am exactly one week older than Cliff, and also a PhD in a related field (same middle name too). I’ve avoided posting in this thread because of that. I certainly remember the days when he was active here. :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

That's certainly an unseemly early age to pass. Like others, I've thought of him from time to time and wondered why he didn't show up much on this forum in the last couple of years. He was much more interested in sticking to the truth of things than in babying the kiddies and coaxing them along, almost, I thought, to the extent of being borderline pedantic at times. I admire him for sticking to the truth. That is getting so rare these days (in the world at large), I been thinking recently about putting "primo veritas" in my signature. The only time I happened to ask him a question, he invited me to join his forum, but sadly, my interests were more on other things at the time. This is one of the many ways I've learned recently how true is the statement: You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
dialex

Post by dialex »

RIP. I will miss his reviews. Condolences to the familly. :(
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I didn't know how young he was. I just assumed he was older. Sad.
Matthewking71

Post by Matthewking71 »

Hello everyone i am writing this as a thank you to all that have given their condolences. Over the past number of years cliff has helped me and many other students achieve things we thought were never possible. When I heard about cliffs passing i was with all of my friends from tutoring. Needless to say we were all heartbroken he was an outstanding man who worked relentlessly to ensure he was able to help us in any way possible even if it meant free tutoring. That's the thing that truly amazed me he told me once that his worst fear in the world is that he wouldn't be able to help people like me anymore. In my opinion that just sums up what kind of man he was, i took to this forum today because in the days after his passing i found comfort in reading the kind things said about one of the best people i have ever met. I am one of many people that cliff has helped and i just wanted to bring light to cliffs outside life because of how outstanding he truly was thank you for all of your kind words!!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Matthewking71 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm
Hello everyone i am writing this as a thank you to all that have given their condolences. Over the past number of years cliff has helped me and many other students achieve things we thought were never possible. When I heard about cliffs passing i was with all of my friends from tutoring. Needless to say we were all heartbroken he was an outstanding man who worked relentlessly to ensure he was able to help us in any way possible even if it meant free tutoring. That's the thing that truly amazed me he told me once that his worst fear in the world is that he wouldn't be able to help people like me anymore. In my opinion that just sums up what kind of man he was, i took to this forum today because in the days after his passing i found comfort in reading the kind things said about one of the best people i have ever met. I am one of many people that cliff has helped and i just wanted to bring light to cliffs outside life because of how outstanding he truly was thank you for all of your kind words!!
Thank you for coming here and posting. Cliff was missed by many when he stepped away from the forums, so it is good to see that he went on to bigger and better things.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Matthewking71 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm
Thank you for sharing Mathew! Cliff was a great tutor and a fine human being. It's nice to hear your experience as well.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sorry to hear this news . Cliff was a very unique individual . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Really sorry and sad to read that news. RIP Cliff.
KingShapton

Post by KingShapton »

In connection with the untimely death of Cliff Stamp, there is more bad news that I'll simply attach here - I think it belongs here and on this thread!

Unfortunately, the cliffstamp.com site and the associated forum are no longer online. The domain has expired.

To me it feels partly like the loss of Cliff Stamp's legacy... All the information on this site and in the forum has been lost... it's such a shame!
attila

Post by attila »

This is very sad news! I haven’t been over there in a long time, but it was a wonderful resource.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

It is sad to hear that someone so knowledgeable in the realm of knives is now gone.

Someone mentioned his website and blog being lost, I wonder if it could be found on the the Way Back Machine. I'm not sure how it works exactly but I think there is supposed to be saved versions of previous states of the internet, so perhaps it can be recovered. Not something I can look into but perhaps someone else would like to.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:45 pm
It is sad to hear that someone so knowledgeable in the realm of knives is now gone.

Someone mentioned his website and blog being lost, I wonder if it could be found on the the Way Back Machine. I'm not sure how it works exactly but I think there is supposed to be saved versions of previous states of the internet, so perhaps it can be recovered. Not something I can look into but perhaps someone else would like to.
I had that exact thought. Looks like at least some of it has been archived by the Internet Archive (i.e., wayback machine). Here's the link to the main forum page: https://web.archive.org/web/20220827113 ... ves/forum/

Note, just because they have this main page doesn't mean every subpage, thread, etc. will have been archived. But it makes it more likely. So hopefully not everything has been lost.

Edit: it looks like Cliff's forum was continued at https://www.beyondt01micron.com/. There is a thread about the creation of the forum (started by our very own Sal) here: https://www.beyondt01micron.com/read.php?3,48. It looks like the old forum was downloaded by Jason Stone, but I'm not sure if it is still being hosted somewhere now that the cliffstamp.com domain expired.