I'm going to EDC PE H1 until August

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kells45

Re: I'm going to EDC PE H1 until August

Post by kells45 »

I’m going to sharpen all of my knives with a coarse edge now due to this thread. Excellent work. The k390 mule is first.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Not only coarse edge, but lower angles.
I know this has been stated before, but what grit are the diamond and CBN sharpmaker stones?
How do they compare to Vivi's edges?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I am a believer, and I think I can do an adequate job with the coarse edge. It's the thinning of the angle that I don't think I can do.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 am
Here is the rope cutting video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbDHhIx-ZO4
Great video! :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
razehound

Post by razehound »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:14 pm
Not only coarse edge, but lower angles.
I know this has been stated before, but what grit are the diamond and CBN sharpmaker stones?
How do they compare to Vivi's edges?
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:47 pm
I've tried some boride stones in the 100-300 grit range and I was unimpressed with both their cutting speed and the final edge they gave me.
razehound wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm
Try one of these out

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-d ... 92867.html

I've used a lot of higher end stones but I love this one. I consistently get shaving sharpness off the 200 grit and it's an amazing slicer with that coarse of an edge.
How does it compare to the sharpmaker diamond rods? Even using those M390/etc take forever to back bevel
I thonk the sharpmaker rods are closest to the 400 grit side if memory serves correct. I know the 200 grit side I use is noticeably coarser. Between that and the wider surface, they'll speed up reprofiling.

The only knives I reprofile with a sharpmaker are serrated knives using the diamond rods. For PE I use bench stones like the one I mentioned.
here you go
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

razehound wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:00 pm
here you go
Thanks 😊
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:23 pm
I am a believer, and I think I can do an adequate job with the coarse edge. It's the thinning of the angle that I don't think I can do.
Even if you do one or the other, edge retention should increase. Dropping the grit or thinning the bevel both help, but one is better than none.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks, and I agree. Not everything has to be optimal to still be extremely functional.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 am
Thanks, and I agree. Not everything has to be optimal to still be extremely functional.
This should be a signature line!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm looking for a used PE H1 knife because of this thread. I'd like to try and duplicate vivi's results. The 'Bay has few available, I wonder if others are also looking to snap up PE H1 knives for the same reason?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:13 am
I'm looking for a used PE H1 knife because of this thread. I'd like to try and duplicate vivi's results. The 'Bay has few available, I wonder if others are also looking to snap up PE H1 knives for the same reason?
After actually besmirching the PE H1 of my first Pacific Salt years ago, I decided to keep (and use) it after Vivi advised me to increase the acuteness of the apex and leave it unpolished.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:07 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:13 am
After actually besmirching the PE H1 of my first Pacific Salt years ago, I decided to keep (and use) it after Vivi advised me to increase the acuteness of the apex and leave it unpolished.
I was quite impressed by H-1 on Vivi's reground Pacific Salt. There's definitely performance to be had at the lower apex angles.
vivi

Post by vivi »

That one I sent to you Josh was pretty polished too, sharpened to around 1,000 grit I believe.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

wanted to drop in and say Thank You to vivi for this thread (among many others)

When you posted it, I thought hmmmmm....
I have a PacSalt PE H1, (more or less factory at the time) that I can make how I like, and carry to see how it does too...

I didn't intend to carry it for the whole month of July initially.
but...
It just kept going, and going, and going...
and by "it kept going and going and going", I am referring to the edge stayed more than adequately sharp.
I'd been carrying and using it all day, every day for a day or two past three weeks, and it was doing just fine for everything I use/used it for, and still felt very sharp.
Then I dropped it - tip first into/onto concrete, from just below waist high.
Which crushed (not snapped) the tip.

I foolishly did not take any photos of that crushed tip, but instead went inside and fixed it on my diamond plates, which included putting a new, or fresh, edge on the blade too.

That was a week ago, and it's still sharp and working just fine today - as I have learned it would be.

photo for today, yes I'll finish out the month with it.

The edge is a "low grit" edge: 260 grit (HF yellow plate), and the hollow grind of the blade has been thinned noticeably, giving me (this knife) a MUCH thinner BTE.

This Plain Edge H1 "steel" knife held that thin, low grit edge for over three weeks very well, and worked very well. Had I not dropped it, crushed the tip, and then fixed the tip which included the edge, it would have gone longer.
How much longer is anyone's guess, but it did go more than three weeks with it's low grit, low angle edge, and still felt sharp and worked great, the whole time.

I'm gonna miss carrying this knife, as I have gotten quite used to it now...

Kind of like when I wear out a pair of running shoes, or backpack - I'm a bit sad about it after the miles, time, and experiences had with...

Again though,

Thank You vivi - I learned something(s), and gained a respect for PE H1 through my own use and experience.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:41 am
wanted to drop in and say Thank You to vivi for this thread (among many others)

When you posted it, I thought hmmmmm....
I have a PacSalt PE H1, (more or less factory at the time) that I can make how I like, and carry to see how it does too...

I didn't intend to carry it for the whole month of July initially.
but...
It just kept going, and going, and going...
and by "it kept going and going and going", I am referring to the edge stayed more than adequately sharp.
I'd been carrying and using it all day, every day for a day or two past three weeks, and it was doing just fine for everything I use/used it for, and still felt very sharp.
Then I dropped it - tip first into/onto concrete, from just below waist high.
Which crushed (not snapped) the tip.

I foolishly did not take any photos of that crushed tip, but instead went inside and fixed it on my diamond plates, which included putting a new, or fresh, edge on the blade too.

That was a week ago, and it's still sharp and working just fine today - as I have learned it would be.

photo for today, yes I'll finish out the month with it.

The edge is a "low grit" edge: 260 grit (HF yellow plate), and the hollow grind of the blade has been thinned noticeably, giving me (this knife) a MUCH thinner BTE.

This Plain Edge H1 "steel" knife held that thin, low grit edge for over three weeks very well, and worked very well. Had I not dropped it, crushed the tip, and then fixed the tip which included the edge, it would have gone longer.
How much longer is anyone's guess, but it did go more than three weeks with it's low grit, low angle edge, and still felt sharp and worked great, the whole time.

I'm gonna miss carrying this knife, as I have gotten quite used to it now...

Kind of like when I wear out a pair of running shoes, or backpack - I'm a bit sad about it after the miles, time, and experiences had with...

Again though,

Thank You vivi - I learned something(s), and gained a respect for PE H1 through my own use and experience.

u.w.
It's been an enlightening month for both of us.

I had carried PE Pacific Salts in the past, but last time I did with any regularity was about five years ago. I also have a PE Aqua Salt I like using as a camping & hiking knife, but cutting wood, food and a little cordage doesn't exactly push the edge retention.

Based on past experiences I expected edge holding to be merely adequate.

Instead it blew away pretty much every knife in my collection, comparing the 200 grit H1 edge to a sharpmaker medium or fine edge on steels like K390, Rex45, M4 and S30V.

Prior to this experiment I had a habit of setting a thin, coarse bevel on my knives, then touching them up with the sharpmaker brown rods as they dulled.

While it's obviously an apples to oranges comparison, I can say the 200 grit H1 edge definitely outlasted those higher edge retention steels sharpened to a higher grit.

I find it rare I can go a week carrying the same knife every day and not have to touch it up if I sharpen up tobthe medium or fine stones.

I had no issues going three weeks without touching up this Pacific Salt, much like you. In fact the only reason I sharpened it again since the 5th(!) is because I wanted a fresh edge for the rope cutting video.

I'm excited to do the LC200N comparison I've had planned this whole time. Maybe tomorrow I'll find a chance to do it. I'm going to compare polished edges first, because 200 grit H1 edges last a really long time cutting rope and cardboard.

James Y

Post by James Y »

These are some great revelations! Looking forward to the H1/LC200N comparison.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

In my experience LC200N does very well in both toothy and polished edges. Easier to get a polished edge & bevel than with most steels. Coarse & toothy is ridiculously quick & easy.

Most of the year I'll carry my SpydieChef smooth & polished because I sometimes visit friends with dull kitchen knives. A stop gap solution at best short of bringing my own kitchen knives. 'Come hunting season I give it a couple of licks on coarse diamond for a toothy micro bevel with the primary bevel still smooth and call it good.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Finally found an H1 PE blade at a reasonable price so I hope to be able to duplicate some of vivi's success with PE H1.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Vivi. For doing it and for sharing. When we get to stand on the shoulders of others, we all get to see farther.

sal
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Enjoyable read Vivi.
In 2005 or 06, whenever the H1 Salt series came out, I used a PE Atlantic for several years commercial lobstering. I found as well that a coarser grit with a lower angle increased the edge holding ability even when cutting media like sand impregnated poly rope. Most PE knives i used at that time I kept with a coarse “toothy” edge.
My tests of an H-1 Pacific in 2006 or so led me to believe that it was on par with AUS-8 (one of my favorite user steels btw) but as Vivi confirmed, a thinner coarser edge increased its edge holding ability. The Atlantic was easy to reprofile, easy to put a coarse edge on and fast to touch up to get back to hair scraping sharp. It surpassed the Pacific which I left with its factory edge.
I think I thinned my Atlantic out on 220 then 400 grit sandpaper and then finished the edge on the diamond and medium sharpmaker rods. Ultimately a few passes on the diamond rod gave me a serviceable edge and I was impressed with H-1 since then.