Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Post by GarageBoy »

Roefisher wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:16 pm
I've a quick question for anyone who knows the history of the Urban & Squeak.

Are all the current standard models of these knives made in Italy? And, if so, are there any earlier versions made elsewhere?

Thank you in advance,

Mark
Yes the current ones are Italian

The urban started life in Seki city Japan with g10

Proportionally, it's my favorite daily Spyderco; I prefer the size to the ukpk and I love the native/chaparral style butt of the handle
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

Roefisher wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:55 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 pm
Yes the current ones are Italian

The urban started life in Seki city Japan with g10

Proportionally, it's my favorite daily Spyderco; I prefer the size to the ukpk and I love the native/chaparral style butt of the handle
Thank you, GarageBoy.

I'll have a look for one of those earlier Urbans. If it's too difficult to find I guess I'll have to think about something from the current Spyderco line-up. Maybe even a locking knife around the Urban or Squeak size would do.
A Cat is almost identical to the Urban and has a liner lock. I think that it would be a great fit for the type of knife that you are looking for. It’s an under appreciated but great knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:15 am
A Cat is almost identical to the Urban and has a liner lock. I think that it would be a great fit for the type of knife that you are looking for. It’s an under appreciated but great knife.
That looks like the exact type of knife I'm after. Thanks, jdw.

The store webpage also had similar recommendations and another good looking one is the Byrd Robin in G10 which has a Boye Detent lockback. But I must admit, I'm very tempted by the Cat model you've pointed out.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Roefisher wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:33 am
jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:15 am
That looks like the exact type of knife I'm after. Thanks, jdw.

The store webpage also had similar recommendations and another good looking one is the Byrd Robin in G10 which has a Boye Detent lockback. But I must admit, I'm very tempted by the Cat model you've pointed out.
I have an older Cat and based upon that knife, I can't recommend it highly enough. It is a fantastic little gem. The fit and finish are spot on and the materials are top notch. The blade shape is not exactly the Urban shape, but it is good enough on its own merit. It is a fine knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Get the Cat. BD1N is a superior steel in my experience. Honestly a very very good knife and I may have to get another one since I gave the last away to a family member.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Roefisher wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:10 am
Thanks everyone, sounds good. A Cat it is, then!

It's easy to slip into admiring at a lot of other similar pocket-sized Spyderco knives too when you start searching around and I had my eye on maybe two or three others as well but I'll go for the Cat.
A little story about my Cat that I have told a 1000 times here. I wanted a knife to travel with that was not expensive in case I lost it or it got taken. I had a carbon fiber Chaparral (first run). I bought the Cat on a lark and was I ever surprised. I preferred every thing about the knife to the Chaparral. It was nicer in every way and 2.5 times cheaper. I still love that knife and will never part with it. It is just the right size and slices like a band saw, yet still pierces, too. Great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

HH Urban arrived today:
IMG_20210705_095821_copy_1024x768.jpg
IMG_20210705_095752_copy_1024x768.jpg
IMG_20210705_095743_copy_1024x768.jpg
I really like its, quality is good, my first S90V.
10 days from UK to Austria.
Unfortunatly as a result of BREXshIT i had to pay customs and import sales tax.
So it was no cheap purchase.

ASF :spyder:
Last edited by austrian_spyder_fan on Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:48 am
HH Urban arrived today:
Pics or a review?
Nevermind I see them now, thanks
Last edited by SG89 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Zive

Post by Zive »

HH Urban arrived today:

Wow. I’m assuming it’s the lighting, but it’s much more orange than the HH website photos. Do you have any other red spydies to compare it to color-wise?
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

This is the reason, I have not bought one.
I like the combination of knife, steel and color but with customs and import slaes tax thats just too much money.
austrian_spyder_fan

Zive wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:19 pm
Wow. I’m assuming it’s the lighting, but it’s much more orange than the HH website photos. Do you have any other red spydies to compare it to color-wise?
Zive, I'm sorry.
No other red spydies in my collection.
austrian_spyder_fan

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:10 pm
I like the combination of knife, steel and color but with customs and import slaes tax thats just too much money.
I understand you.
Since the 1st of July we have also new laws in Austria.
Tax allowance (22 Euros) was cancelled.
I also ordered at DLT and SFO ( Mule release) which I'm waiting for.
These will have been the last orders from overseas.
I am not willing to pay these surcharges in future.

ASF
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:23 pm
Zive wrote:
Zive, I'm sorry.
No other red spydies in my collection.
No worries. Mine arrives tomorrow, so I’ll see for myself soon enough.
Roefisher wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Zive wrote:
Hello Zive,

I'm not sure if you've seen the Heinnie Haynes UKPK? This Heinnie Haynes Urban is the exact same G10 colour, although it does have a much coarser texture than the earlier penknife. Funny, a few people online have mentioned not liking the Urban's scale feel but I thought it was pretty good.

This is a guess, but I'd nearly imagine all of Spyderco's red G10 handles would be the exact same colour?
Unfortunately I missed out on the first HH UKPK run, but am sure to buy one from the upcoming batch. The only other red G10 model I have is the M390 Smock. Would be happy enough if it’s the same shade. Thanks!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:35 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:10 pm
I understand you.
Since the 1st of July we have also new laws in Austria.
Tax allowance (22 Euros) was cancelled.
I also ordered at DLT and SFO ( Mule release) which I'm waiting for.
These will have been the last orders from overseas.
I am not willing to pay these surcharges in future.

ASF
Bad luck. I thought it was only us in the U.K. who had hit the self destruct button … :o
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

HH Urban arrived today:

Thank you for the comparison pictures.
Could you please post a picture with the spine/back of the handle, if that's OK.

They made the blade shorter, wonder why.
And the belly is more rounded.
I think AEB-L blade looks better.

Indeed Brexit made them cheaper.
And considering Spydercos were already way too cheap in Europe.
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Hey everyone,

I bought (with much anticipation), the HH Urban on the day of release. But, like others, found it a bit wanting in some areas.

For me (and I think a lot of this is to do with expectation at the price point)….

* G10 is pocket ripping coarse.
* S90V blade didn't feel very sharp at all (no where near shaving sharp).
* G10 scales didn't perfectly align with the back spring

It was my first Urban, and it's by far and away the best size/shape for me personally in the UK!

So I decided to buy a new N690/ FRN model (in fact, I've bought 2 from different places so I can compare them).

The first has just arrived, and I was surprised to see the FRN scales have the same issue as the G10, where the backspring doesn't align perfectly (I've read previously that most people's older models were all flush).

That being said, it's minor (and not an issue on a sub £100 knife for me personally), but it looks more like the back spring was hand finished each time (on the HH Urban and N690 Urban), which is why the scales aren't perfectly flush (just a guess though).

I also saw that people didn't like the fact the HH Urban seemed to have a shorter blade. Sadly, for anyone who didn't like that, it looks like all the new ones have the shorter blade.

I'd say the N690 model is ever so slightly longer (it's barely noticeable), and doesn't bother me at all.

The N690 blade is much sharper (I've always found the Italians do a fantastic job with N690, it's easier to sharpen for most people, and it's half the price……), hard to make a strong argument for the HH Urban here…..

The overall fit and finish aside from that (on both of them) is pretty much the same (IMO, both good). The last part of the HH Urban finger choil is smoothed, where as the N690 is flat - Makes no difference in the hand.

Weight of the HH Urban is 59g and the N690 55g.

I'll update once the next Urban arrives, but for most people, I think the best option is the N690 model…. I have some custom natural brown Micarta scales arriving for it later this week hopefully!

Let me know if you have any questions.
The Robin

Post by The Robin »

First post on here but been reading lots of info :)

I've had the Heinnie Hayes Urban a few days (I'm in the UK). I also have the n690 blade steel urban to compare it to and is my favourite EDC for the UK.

The blade length is a touch shorter on the Heinnie Hayes Urban compared to the n690 bladed model, also the G10 scales are again a little thicker and are a little rough to feel them (I'm ok with it though). The lock up and half stop seems stiffer but maybe because it's new. On my HH Urban the back spring is more flush overall than the n690 bladed model. Also the blade shape has changed a little too and isn't that sharp. I'm going to be keeping mine (maybe I've been lucky?) and it's going to replace the n690 bladed one. I just hope it doesn't damage my pockets with it been pretty rough feeling on the G10.

The one thing is the price jump from the n690 bladed model which I think was £75 when I bought it and the big jump to £120 for the HH Urban. Is it worth it, I did think before I ordered it because it's a few quid on the jump up. Now I have it I can't say I'm unhappy and the price increase will fade away the more I use it .....

I hope you guys over the pond are happy with yours because I don't envy you having to send them back.
Last edited by The Robin on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.