Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheRandomCarry

Re: Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:05 am
Man oh man! That is a huge difference! Both are pretty nasty. I'll try to get some comparison pictures of mine so what I am griping about will be seen. Yours are pretty sad, to be honest. There should be some consistency.
I’ve come to appreciate the one I kept (the one on the right) - My only gripe would be the sharper end to the finger choil, but the overall fit and finish is actually really good.

Would love to see yours.

I tried to have a look at previous versions, and it seems the one I ended up with *with the smoother thumb ramp” is the more common approach.

Although the new HH Urban and other newer models I’ve seen have the steeper step on the thumb ramp.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here's an old pic of my Elmax Urban... Definitely different blade profile than this new hh g10 urbanImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Although the blade profile is different, the jimping and finger choil finishing have the same appearance as the HH Urban (different to mine).

Very small differences, but strange on a mass produced product like this (well, not quite mass produced, but you know what I mean).
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Nate wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:45 am
Man, that tip comparison is really eye-opening. Has the kick been adjusted to compensate so it isn’t in danger of protruding from the scales after a few sharpenings?

One of the most common criticisms of the AEB-L Urban was that the tip sat too high in the scales, so I really don’t see how/why the response would be to raise it further… :confused:
I never noticed it but my AEB_L Urban's tip is barely below the edge of the scales when closed. Is this something I should worry about?
Attachments
20210716_164547_compress20.jpg
jdw

Post by jdw »

I finally received mine today and my first impression is that it looks like somebody broke off the tip and then did a re-grind on an Urban. It's not what I was expecting but other than the weird blade change I really don't see any glaring faults in mine. It's hard to match the quality of the last HH UKPK.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Nate

Post by Nate »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:57 pm
I never noticed it but my AEB_L Urban's tip is barely below the edge of the scales when closed. Is this something I should worry about?
Mine are about the same. Not a worry unless you break the tip or sharpen it back a lot. Guess you should be able to file down the kick so it sits deeper if needed.
:spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mine finally has cleared customs, en route to me from Chicago.
Spydergirl88
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Well, this randomly arrived today. I guess I will gladly eat lots of crow, LOL!

It's a well put together knife. I really have no complaints now that it's here, other than the stubby blade profile...

Here are lots of pictures, this literally just arrived in the last hour so I haven't really messed with it other than opening and closing a dozen times and taking pictures. It is a little gritty and will be taken apart and cleaned later.

Edit to add: I just noticed there is a typo on the box saying S30V, maybe that was an original intent, like the UKPK? IDK

Edit 2: I took it apart, cleaned it, wet sanded the scales with 320 grit sandpaper (extra where pocket clip rests), lubed and reassembled. No pictures because it doesn't really look different, but it was dirty and there was no thread lock used anywhere from the factory. The pivot has to have thread locker to hit the very fine point between zero blade play and easy slip joint action. It is now much better than it was as received, and it took probably 25 minutes to clean, sand, reassemble and put everything away.

Last edited by Airlsee on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
So it goes.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Can’t wait to get mine. It’s still in Chicago and USPS told me that Customs can take up to 45 days to release it if there are no problems. Gotta love government agencies! :mad:

Funny, I ordered a BMX bike from the UK on Monday shipped DHL, and it will be here tomorrow. Moral of the story if shipping overseas always use FedEx, UPS or DHL if available.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got mine today, same observations as Airlsee. Mine was easy to disassemble and reassemble thanks to no threadlocker and D shaped hardware. I don't like coarse g10 on a slip joint so I'll probably sand it down at some point. Image
Spydergirl88
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Has anyone tried the LynchNW clip on one of these yet?

I ordered one Thursday but it will be next week before I get to check it out. The factory clip has a little too much side to side flex for my liking, and I figured I would see if the Lynch wire clip replacement would remedy this.
So it goes.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Great pics @Airlsee, thanks! They pushed me back to the “want” side.
:spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm
Has anyone tried the LynchNW clip on one of these yet?

I ordered one Thursday but it will be next week before I get to check it out. The factory clip has a little too much side to side flex for my liking, and I figured I would see if the Lynch wire clip replacement would remedy this.
Spydergirl88
Matus

Post by Matus »

That red clip looks sweet!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

No play in the clip I assume?
So it goes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:20 pm
No play in the clip I assume?
The Lynch clip has flat "prongs" that don't rotate in the grooves unlike the round Spyderco factory wire clip.
Spydergirl88
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mine was finally released by customs, should have it in a few days!!!

Colby, do you have any pics post sanding?! I’ve been thinking about this over the past month :p
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Colby, do you have any pics post sanding?! I’ve been thinking about this over the past month :p

What do you want to see, I'm literally sitting in front of my computer with knife and phone in arms reach.
So it goes.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:32 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm

What do you want to see, I'm literally sitting in front of my computer with knife and phone in arms reach.
Did you take all the texture off, or round the edges?
Dane

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Best I could muster on short notice, haha!

The texturing is almost offensive out of the box, on mine it feels like a Golden Spydie that has been carried for a few months, now.

That's it, I wasn't trying to make it smooth, but I mellowed out the texturing, rounded all the edges of the scales (inside portion), and made sure that the jeans I spend way too much money on will survive the upcoming season with pockets in tact.

So it goes.