Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by Rinzler »

SSD_777 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:25 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 am
DLT has a good sense for exclusives unlike another retailer that is stuck on a certain color and steel.
How many exclusives have you brought to the market?

There is more than one dealer that has their specific color and steel combinations and they sell out every time. DLT isn't doing anything special.
Hi, thanks for your well thought reply. I also agree that DLT is doing great work with all of their unique exclusives. As you noted, I also concur that the retailer(s) stuck on certain same old same old combinations should expand their offerings. Enjoy your Independence Day weekend!
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Hmmm, would this be the first Ed Schempp model exclusive as well?
"Seven for One"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:13 pm
Hmmm, would this be the first Ed Schempp model exclusive as well?

Exclusive maybe but there were Persian sprints.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DLTJordan wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:27 am
Here is a quick couple of comparison shots between the Tuff and the Shaman.

https://imgur.com/a/1MNQEvs
Wow, the Tuff is a beast! Very cool exclusive - kuddos on stepping out of the box DLT!!!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:11 am
Does anybody happen to have a Tuff and Shaman to compare in size and also thickness?
I have a few old photos, Manix vs Shaman vs Tuff. Photos were directly from above for an accurate size comparison.

No distal taper and thicker blade stock (4mm vs 3.7mm).
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:57 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:11 am
Does anybody happen to have a Tuff and Shaman to compare in size and also thickness?
I have a few old photos, Manix vs Shaman vs Tuff. Photos were directly from above for an accurate size comparison.

No distal taper and thicker blade stock.
Thank you Hans! You included both of my favorite Spyderco models along with the Tuff. I've never had any issues with the thickness of the Shaman...so what's a smidge more thickness going to change right!? Funny to see the Manix look so small.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My pleasure…

The Tuff’s blade has a very different character compared to other FFG Spydies with a distal taper. The blade is not as wide as the Shaman, and the FFG starts below the groove/fuller. This produces a full thickness spine with very stout blade and tip. The Shaman is definitely a better slicer and general purpose stout EDC IMO. The Tuff takes it up a notch or two. Just look at the size of the stop pin... It is this sheer ridiculousness that makes it appealing and a lot of fun to carry when I get bored of the more sensible Spydies! :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve about decided the Shaman is too thick for my taste. But Z-wear and micarta… is about the perfect combo!
Matus

Post by Matus »

If the Tuff were, well, a little less tough build, I would most likely try to get one. Love the whole design, just too much toughness for me :p
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

really wish it had the dimples, it was what i liked about the original design.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m still mixed on my feelings on this one. It’s an interesting choice for an exclusive, maybe not one I would have picked out of the Taichung lineup but it is what it is. I had a Micarta-scaled Tuff previously and while a super interesting knife, it was a fairly terrible slicer (as others have mentioned). It’s a tank of a build, have no doubt about that. Not sure what all the hubbub about the steel lockbar insert is about, the original had one.

I guess I’m one of the minority that prefers the dimples, it was a big part of the original’s character (and any weight loss on it was appreciated!). Also not a fan of seeing it coated, especially with the more scratch-prone TiCN vs DLC (I know Taichung doesn’t do DLC), since it’s meant to be used (ahem) tough! I’m glad it will be available for a new crowd to experience this model, but expect to see a decent amount of turnover on them after the honeymoon period ends. Cheers, Radioactive

Some old pics:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Based on the pics... I like them both but probably like it with the dimples a little more.
•• Beau
Matus

Post by Matus »

That is a great summary RS. But this exclusive run gives us hope that maybe more Ed Schemmp designed exclusives will follow. I would be in for the Schempp Bowie, Khukuri or a Barong :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im one of those weirdos who likes a knife that shows wear and use.(at least for knives I plan on using and keeping.) Since Im not a fan of coated blades either, Im fine with it getting all scratched up. I would prefer ticn to dlc, plus its easier to sand/buff off if you want it gone.

I do wish they had kept the dimples..
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm a bit of a purist so I would have liked to see them keep the dimples as well. I'm still excited for this exclusive though. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 am
DLT has a good sense for exclusives unlike another retailer that is stuck on a certain color and steel.

Thanks DLT, for once again expanding exclusives into the unexpected! Very cool knife.
This could be any retailer, but if it’s the one I think you mean…

They’re stuck on M4 because it’s an absolutely fantastic steel that a whole lot of people want. I personally will never get tired of knives in m4, and I’m so grateful that BladeHQ continues to make sure that a variety of models are available in that steel for those of us (many) who love it. ;)

My only wish is that more retailers in general would focus on bringing us the really crazy steels like k390 and rex 45, instead of countless iterations of m390 in every color you could dream of. But that’s an industry issue, not specific to any one retailer.

If there were any other retailers saturating the market with m4, I might agree with you.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I'm out strictly due to price, but it is a cool knife. Nice to see DLT bringing it back.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Agreed with aaronkb about M390/20CV exclusives, there are quite enough and everyone is putting out knives in that steel. I picked up several by different makers in the past year or so, including a few Spydies.

Agreed with a couple of others about the dimples, for weight savings, though they weren't super popular. Maybe there will be cutouts in the Ti frame to save weight? (It's 1/10 of an ounce heavier than the original, so I guess not, but OTOH that's not a big weight burden on a 6+oz knife).

As far as the lockbar insert goes, I wonder if people are used to other titanium framelock manufacturers who make having such an insert into a big deal - it's mentioned in ad copy for many currently hip brands. It was a bit more cutting edge when it was added in 2010/2011 (I think the Ti or Ti/G10 Military was first to get it?). Not sure which Ti RIL models have come without it after that, but most of the ones I've seen have (Though, honestly, one of the things I like about Spydies is that you can collect a hundred of them without 97+ of them having a Ti RIL - it's a fine design and it's everywhere). Anyway, Sal has spoken on the matter a couple of times. Here's a few years ago (if I see the mention about it from a decade ago as I swear I have read, I'll try to add it): viewtopic.php?t=81060#p1262246

I didn't manage to get the original run Tuff, which I guess I would prefer, but I'll take it if I can land one, and I'm thinking CPM-CRUWEAR should be tuff enuff (heh).
jdw

Post by jdw »

It seems to me that M390/20CV/204P is going to replace S30V as the base steel for most companies. I am on the fence about the Tuff. I enjoy using well made knives but my GB1 is about as heavy as I like to carry and the Tuff is at least an ounce or so more. When you have something in your pocket all day that makes a difference. I have a question though....Is the oversized pivot really necessary? Does it add any real structural integrity to the knife?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I think the dimples were hideous and commend DLT for deleting them. There are aesthetic ways to do functional things, if the dimples indeed served an actual purpose, they just looked like their placement was an afterthought and kept me well away from the original. Wish the proto gets made one day.