Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by Cheddarnut »

One question: It says "Cruwear" on the blade, not "CPM cruwear", is this in fact the ingot version of Cruwear or was it shortened for the sake of brevity on the blade?
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yes. I don’t think there will s any non CPM CruWear still in production
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

DLT confirmed that this is CPM Cru Wear earlier in this thread.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

T.J. wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:23 am
DLT confirmed that this is CPM Cru Wear earlier in this thread.
👍🏻
JMM

Post by JMM »

[x-post from "what's in your pocket thread"]

I got mine Saturday and it's perfect, everything is on point, from fit & finish, detent, lockup, absolutely fantastic.

New Tuff & SE Para3 . . .just have to get another 1/2 inch of depth onto that deep carry clip and she'll be done. :D

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Wonder if St.Nicks will end up doing a 4v Tuff when this one eventually sells out..?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Matus

Post by Matus »

The eagle has landed. The knife is incredible. The best ergonomic I have ever tried. I will see how it performs in use as the thickness behind the edge appears to be considerable. The F&F is spotless. No sharp corners anywhere. Inner liner/frame edges have been gently rounded. The lock is 100% solid (a little sticking OOTB). Hitting the spine against the palm has no ill effect - even after disengaging the lock and not closing the blade. Call me impressed.

EDIT: Big 'thank you' to DLT for bringing this one back to us and to Spydeco and Mr. Schempp for creating this wonderful knife in the first place.

EDIT 2: For the sake of objectivity, there are 2 little issues.
(1) there is some lock-stick. I hope it will work itself out over time, but this is not a super big surprise with Teichung models.
(2) if your run with your finger over the tip of the blade when closed, you will absolutely catch on the tip. This is something that is non optimal, as over time this will only get worse unless one decides to grind a little of the blade from the spine - something that will not look particularly cool on a coated blade.

38D7D39B-6F99-426A-A1E7-6E30EA7BCA88.jpeg
268FD527-DE4E-4F5F-B249-DB4E513772A8.jpeg
065B548F-7479-491C-942D-7EE0E44CBB8B.jpeg
1DFE0365-DE9F-4D1F-BA2C-5A724066374A.jpeg
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:38 am
(2) if your run with your finger over the tip of the blade when closed, you will absolutely catch on the tip. This is something that is non optimal, as over time this will only get worse unless one decides to grind a little of the blade from the spine - something that will not look particularly cool on a coated blade.

Ill check mine again when I get home but I remember doing this when I got it and my finger didnt catch.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Matus

Post by Matus »

I made a quick video:

https://youtu.be/Xolw-YIOLQ0
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Matus wrote:
<clip>
How is the detent? Is it easy to shake the blade open?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:17 am
Matus wrote:
<clip>
Easy enough, at least on mine.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:05 am
I made a quick video:

I just ran my fingers back and forth over the spine of the tip where it meets the backspacer.

My fingers did not catch on the tip.

I could get my fingernail under the tip but thats not the same as running your hand/fingers along the outside curve of the knife.

The tip is very close to being exposed, but I have had other knives just like that and never had a problem. In fact one of the old cheap knives I used to cary actually had a tip that you could catch and it never gave me any issues.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JRinFL wrote:
Matus wrote:
<clip>
The detent is par for the course. The problem is the blade has so much weight that it will shake open easier than other designs.
tulsamal

Post by tulsamal »

Mine came and it is totally perfect as far as I can see. Amazing quality for a production knife.

As I said in another thread... the real "take away" I get from this knife is ... it feels so good in the hand, looks so nice in person... that I would have picked this knife up in a knife store, played with it for a couple minutes... and gotten out my credit card. No buyer's remorse here.

G
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Mine is flawless. 0 detent issues here. The blade IS massive and heavy! I was able to aggressively shake the blade open. (Hard flick of the wrist) not necessarily a bad thing for me, just another option of opening one handed and in a hurry. Im honestly not sure how many of my spydies would pass that detent test. I have 0 concerns of it opening accidentally I guess is the bottom line. The tip issue Matus had doesn't seem to be the same on mine. I watched the video and mine sits deeper in the frame it looks like. The price is rough! I found myself,like many others,, comparing this knife and price to others in my collection. I simply can't do that any more. Times have changed,demand has gone up and with everything thats effected 2020-21, I'm personally very thankful that this was even made available at any price. I paid 12 dollars a peice for junk 8ft 2x4s the other day!!Overall I'm very happy with the tuff! As others have stated, the look,the feel...amazing! Once you get this in your hand you quickly forget what it cost. Thanks DLT and Spyderco for making this one happen. Im very excited to put this one to work.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Matus

Post by Matus »

JRinFL wrote:
Matus wrote:
<clip>
Yes, easy to shake open. No question about that. As was already said - the 'Taichung detent' together with the heavy blade make it easy.
Matus

Post by Matus »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 am
Matus wrote:
I made a quick video:

I just ran my fingers back and forth over the spine of the tip where it meets the backspacer.

I could get my fingernail under the tip but thats not the same as running your hand/fingers along the outside curve of the knife.

The tip is very close to being exposed, but I have had other knives just like that and never had a problem. In fact one of the old cheap knives I used to cary actually had a tip that you could catch and it never gave me any issues.
I don't really expect this to be a particular problem in use (as you don't really grab this part of the blade to get the knife out of the pocket), but my fingers catch on the tip even if I just run them against the tip with the slightest pressure.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 am
Matus wrote:
I made a quick video:

I don't really expect this to be a particular problem in use (as you don't really grab this part of the blade to get the knife out of the pocket), but my fingers catch on the tip even if I just run them against the tip with the slightest pressure.
If it's a problem contact DLT while they still have some available to swap.
Matus

Post by Matus »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:18 pm
Matus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am
If it's a problem contact DLT while they still have some available to swap.
No, I don't find it to be a problem, plus I am located in Europe (and still expect to get that nasty letter from FedEx with fees and taxes), so the return would be rather expensive.
Last edited by Matus on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

OK, here comes a brief user report.

I have played with the Tuff for a few minutes and compared it side-by-side to my Rex 45 Chief. I have cut some thin, but very densely woven cardboard and whittled (and chopped a little) on a piece of beech wood.

Here are my impressions:
  • The Native goes through cardboard more easily. It is not day versus night difference, but it is noticeable. This did not surprise me give the difference in grind geometries.
  • The negative angle of the blade on the Tuff is great, the blade cuts better into material, it feels much more natural then force your wrist into tilted position
  • The handle on the Tuff is much more comfortable (with one important exception, see below). It fills my medium sized & skinny hand much better, the Native feels uncomfortable if I start to push harder down.
  • The difference in grind was less pronounced when whittling on the wood.
  • The belly of the Tuff towards the tip is great for more precise work - the wide spine is more pleasant to push with your left thumb against it.
  • Now comes that exception ... As soon as you choke up on the Tuff to get your hand right behind the edge - there is just no comfortable way to hold the knife (with my medium sized hands at least). And the reason is - your pinky lands right on the 'hump' in the middle of the handle (which at chocked back position would end up between your ring finger and middle finger) and once you start to bear down on the blade, all the pressure that your pinky needs to counteract pushes into that one spot. I have put on some work gloves, but it did not fully alleviate the issue. For someone with XXL sized hands the pinky would be just behind this hump and the issue would not exist.I failed to find a grip where this hot spot would not be there in chocked-up position.
  • Finally I did some gentle chopping - this knife is basically a folding machete. It jumped into its element. I was very impressed, did not expect a folding knife can chop this well. Of course - to get that to even higher level would chocke all the way back and use a firm lanyard for safety. I will definitely test that later on.
  • his brief testing left no marks on the cutting edge (nor would I really expect it to)
  • After cleaning up the blade there are ZERO traces on the coating to be found. I mean that literally. I could sell the knife now as NIB / never used. I would not expect that would be possible.
In total - love it, though that hot spot in chocked up position is a bit of a bummer. I guess the main grip is intended to be chocked back and the large choil is rather for a more detailed work, rather then heavy bearing down on the blade.