Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by VooDooChild »

Discontinued model, Taichung, titanium, cruwear, good color scheme. I think this will be a sleeper hit whenever it is gone. Especially if other dealers are discouraged from doing an exclusive with it because it didnt sell out in one day. (if this ends up being the last tuff.)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jacala

Post by jacala »

I weakened ! Bought one.
Baked beans straight from the can, three meals a day for the next month.
Note: Lots of moolah to buy and ship safely to Australia !
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 am
Chuck James wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm
VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm
Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
Why not? Works great for opening boxes.

The spyderhole helps hold it in position

Then you just use it like so to cut tape.

Your hand isn't in the path of the blade. I've done this for years with several different spydercos.
I certainly hope you're not teaching these knife skills to anyone else!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Try it. You'll like it.
This has to be a joke.

But if not, you do you…
PStone

Post by PStone »

Not to further derail the thread here but…

"I gave it a sharp false edge because that allowed you to open the knife just a little bit and use the sharpened false edge to cut something like a piece of string or a piece of tape. Again, I was trying to produce a very efficient high performance or what we call high speed low drag folder that you could carry anywhere."
-Sal Glesser (in reference to the original Worker)

Source: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C01_Worker

I understand Vash and agree with him. I don’t always fully open and lock my blade. Sometimes you just need to be quick and/or discrete. And it seems like Sal once thought along these lines too. :spyder:
WRB

Post by WRB »

It seems perfectly sensible to me. It's not like cutting tape and such is a demanding task or anything. I find it surprising so many people are acting so surprised.

I think I've talked myself into buying one of these Tuffs. I could use a basher and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I use knives partially opened to cut tape, and especially cut tags of clothing or errant threads and the like. Keeps from cutting anything else, and can close the knife on thread/twine/plastic strips like scissors.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Did everyone sell their cameras to fund their purchase? :p Where are the pictures? I bought one but it won't be here until Saturday at the earliest.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

WRB wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Did everyone sell their cameras to fund their purchase? :p Where are the pictures? I bought one but it won't be here until Saturday at the earliest.

My tracking says Monday but i bet it shows up Saturday. Maybe. :)
•• Beau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 am
It's so funny these are already on eBay for $500 when they're not even sold out yet. Like the Colorado PM2 too.

Especially when there are apparently 466 left in stock at DLT. RIP flippers...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DLT should have done the opposite on this one. They should have taken the best thing about the Tuff (the 3V steel) and put 3V in a popular model like a Micarta Shaman or a PM2 or whatever. Taking the 3V out of the Tuff made it lose the best thing it had going for it in my opinion. Had they kept the 3V and just reissued it with the OD Green/DLC colorway, OG dimples and all, I think it would have sold much better.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm
DLT should have done the opposite on this one. They should have taken the best thing about the Tuff (the 3V steel) and put 3V in a popular model like a Micarta Shaman or a PM2 or whatever. Taking the 3V out of the Tuff made it lose the best thing it had going for it in my opinion. Had they kept the 3V and just reissued it with the OD Green/DLC colorway, OG dimples and all, I think it would have sold much better.

My guess is maybe trying to piggyback off the ridiculous success of the Cruwear Shaman.

I'm just gonna throw this out there for any potential dealers who may be lurking...if you do a Cruwear Micarta Manix 2 XL people will lose their minds. It's a model that many have practically begged for more variants of, and I think that combo would suit the model really well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Concur with David re: CRUWEAR Manix 2XL. I still don't have a 2XL as I'd like to get a sprint/exclusive. Same reason I waited on the Shaman (got the CS orange/XHP model).

I think it's actually a pretty good steel for this though the price is nearly identical for the 2 steels, and 3V was a big selling point (is there another :spyder: with 3V? I don't know of one). It's probably overkill for most folders (which makes it make sense in a big heavily built knife like the Tuff) but given people's predilections for sprints of late, I think it would sell in many models, particularly in things like the Manix 2 and 2XL which are fairly stout in their own right.

I get keeping the exclusives in a consistent steel for a while especially if they're hits. I'd say it's pretty hard to go wrong with as well-loved a steel as CRUWEAR for now, though like 20CV it could eventually be out in so many variations that it seems less "special". Don't think we're there yet.

Someone doing 3V sprints will probably do well. I also think some LC200N sprints would do well though we haven't seen many.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

VashHash,
I see your point with the tape, it seems like something that would work especially for seasoned knife owners/users. Personally, I open it all the way and use a pinch grip close to the tip in order to not cut too deeply through the tape. Works for me. I was doing fine just using light pressure, but I find the pinch method is pretty foolproof.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm

My guess is maybe trying to piggyback off the ridiculous success of the Cruwear Shaman.

I'm just gonna throw this out there for any potential dealers who may be lurking...if you do a Cruwear Micarta Manix 2 XL people will lose their minds. It's a model that many have practically begged for more variants of, and I think that combo would suit the model really well.
Yes! I'd be my first XL and would keep my from buying that Benchmade in Cruwear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:57 pm
WRB wrote:

Well apparently DLT crushed it in the shipping dept again! My ETA went from Monday to "out for delivery" today. Nicely done DLT! :)
•• Beau
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 am
Buddafucco wrote:
WRB wrote:

Well apparently DLT crushed it in the shipping dept again! My ETA went from Monday to "out for delivery" today. Nicely done DLT! :)
That’s awesome. Keep us updated. I’m dying to see some photos/hear some first impressions.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I was on the fence on this one. I said long ago that I wanted a Cruwear Tuff but I’m not a fan of blade coatings. And of course the price tag. If it had the dimples to justify some of the cost...I’m actually happy it doesn’t as I’m getting the ti side engraved. As a lefty I need to swap the clip over and the lock side become my show side and it’s usually rather boring on a framelock. But the coating almost drove me away from this one. I don’t think they look nice and doubt it will make any significant difference in corrosion resistance in my uses. But in the end I’m swallowing the cost and ordered one. Even though these will be slow to sell out I think they will become highly sought after once they are, (not that I’ll ever sell mine).
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 am
Buddafucco wrote:
WRB wrote:

My ETA went from Monday to "out for delivery" today.
Jordan must have drove it you himself. Lucky you!

DLT isn't anything special. I got my BLADEHQ EXCLUSIVE in 3 days, over 2 thousand miles traveled, free delivery too. Thanks USPS.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mine was delivered a day early as well!

-Nick :bug-red
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

I have got mine. :)