Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by jdw »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am
I think the dimples were hideous and commend DLT for deleting them. There are aesthetic ways to do functional things, if the dimples indeed served an actual purpose, they just looked like their placement was an afterthought and kept me well away from the original. Wish the proto gets made one day.

Like a fuller. Ed Schempp is a master craftsman who understands knife history and blades.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

(?) The Tuff already has a fuller… Thought we were talking about weight savings on the frame itself. I’m also pretty sure the material removed from the dimples on the original version did indeed lighten the frame. Do get me wrong about loving dimples on knives in general, they are just very much part of the character of the original one.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

On the previous page, there is one pictured that's half open and the choil flows into the handle almost like it's meant to be used in that position. I checked my other knives and none are like the Tuff in that position. Is this just part of the aesthetic design or is there a use for the Tuff when it's half open?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

aquaseafoamshaman wrote: On the previous page, there is one pictured that's half open and the choil flows into the handle almost like it's meant to be used in that position. I checked my other knives and none are like the Tuff in that position. Is this just part of the aesthetic design or is there a use for the Tuff when it's half open?
No. Also what other knives did you check. Almost all spydercos have that half open position where the finger choil matches the handle. It looks like it could lock in that position and be used as a push dagger, but none of them do. Its just where the curves match up. Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm
Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
Why not? Works great for opening boxes.

The spyderhole helps hold it in position

Then you just use it like so to cut tape.

Your hand isn't in the path of the blade. I've done this for years with several different spydercos.
aquaseafoamshaman

VooDooChild wrote:
aquaseafoamshaman wrote: On the previous page, there is one pictured that's half open and the choil flows into the handle almost like it's meant to be used in that position. I checked my other knives and none are like the Tuff in that position. Is this just part of the aesthetic design or is there a use for the Tuff when it's half open?
No. Also what other knives did you check. Almost all spydercos have that half open position where the finger choil matches the handle. It looks like it could lock in that position and be used as a push dagger, but none of them do. Its just where the curves match up. Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
I checked the Shaman, Smock, and GB1 and none of them have the look/flow of the Tuff in that position. It just caught my eye, and I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Is the pocket clip reversible on the Tuff? Looks like it is from the pics, just want to make sure.
aquaseafoamshaman

Yep, all 4 positions are available.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

aquaseafoamshaman wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:26 pm
Yep, all 4 positions are available.
Greatly appreciated!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

VashHash wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
Why not? Works great for opening boxes.

The spyderhole helps hold it in position

Then you just use it like so to cut tape.

Your hand isn't in the path of the blade. I've done this for years with several different spydercos.
I mean obviously anyone can do what they like, but I wouldnt tell a non-knife person or a kid to do it.
aquaseafoamshaman wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
I checked the Shaman, Smock, and GB1 and none of them have the look/flow of the Tuff in that position. It just caught my eye, and I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
Part of it is the angle of that picture and just the design of the handle. Look at a shaman or pm2 opened where the choil curve matches the handle curve at the same angle that pic was taken at. Look at a dragonfly opened like that as well.

To my eye a lot of spydies look like they have that half open flow, where it seems like they could be a push dagger if they locked in that position.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 am

I guess I’m one of the minority that prefers the dimples, it was a big part of the original’s character (and any weight loss on it was appreciated!).
Initially I was not a big fan of the dimples, but over time I’ve come to like them as a quirky characteristic of the design.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

5 hours to go!

I'm still really on the fence with this one. It looks amazing but it's so thick and heavy. $300+... I don't know. :o
•• Beau
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

It's Spyderco's Strider or Hinderer, in a better steel, at a better price. I am deciding between one and two!
dkelley661

Post by dkelley661 »

O geez, I need to stop reading this post. I want one, then I don't...back and forth.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

joeldworkin307 wrote: It's Spyderco's Strider or Hinderer, in a better steel, at a better price. I am deciding between one and two!
Same. At this price it will probably be just one. Although if they take more than a day to sell out I might get 2. This is one of the handful that I want a backup for.

What I hope is that another dealer will do another run in different color and steel. But I dont know if that would happen with this model. The slysz bowie will certainly get exclusives from other dealers, the rock lobster probably will not come back, the tuff...??? I hope so.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jdw wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 am
I have a question though....Is the oversized pivot really necessary? Does it add any real structural integrity to the knife?

I would expect it does make it stronger, it you go back and look at the pics comparing it to a Shaman, which itself is not exactly a dainty knife, it dwarfs the Shaman in pretty much every measurement. Look at the difference in stop pin size. It should also help to minimize blade play development after being used hard.

Unfortunately I'm betting that the vaaaaast majority of these will never see hard use so we may never know truly how tough they really are. When you have a $350 knife that most people will be reluctant to actually abuse, you suddenly have a $50 Tenacious that ends up withstanding more actual use and abuse and is much more likely to be pushed to it's limit and used harder than the overbuilt hard use model.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This knife is a flipper's dream
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yeah, the Tuff is more of an design icon than actual user. Not that it could not withstand hard use, but if you need a knife that tuff, you grab a fixed blade most of the time. If it were a LITTLE bit thinner/lighter, I would get one and actually use it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Super cool knife but I'm out. Had the original and didn't click with me.

Pretty stoked to see all these disco'd exclusives coming out! Please keep it up!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I had a "weak" moment... ordered!
•• Beau