Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by VooDooChild »

I got mine. Im pretty happy. I actually wish the detent was stronger for me personally, but its probably just right by most other peoples standards.

Looks good. Im also not a fan of coatings but this one looks really good. This coating doesnt have the flat finish that dlc coatings have. It will still reflect streaks of light. Its metallic black instead of flat black. As far as black spyderco clips go, this one has the nicest finish I have ever seen.

If anyone was on the fence about the coating dont worry, to me anyways, it looks better than other coated spydercos.

Also the ergos on this knife are really good.
Attachments
20210723_165204.jpg
20210723_170406.jpg
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Got mine today and I’m impressed. IMHO, some of the best Spyderco knives come out of the Taichung factory. Fit and finish is excellent and the action is smooth. Frame lock doesn’t have any stick and is easy to use. Yes, it’s a little on the pricey side but I’ve always wanted a Tuff and thanks Mr. Schempp for a beautifully designed knife. :)
49044BDC-9CB9-46CB-B28B-BE19D4161E93.jpeg
5B2D7EFC-C29A-4083-BB01-B7C3577CEB63.jpeg
Last edited by holeshot on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Matus

Post by Matus »

Guys, could any of you lucky owners make a short video in natural light and put in on YT? I am getting a very strong a sudden urge here and I may actually get one. Thank you in advance :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I would if I knew how to but I’m pretty much a Luddite. Took me a year to figure out how to post pics. Pull the trigger, it’s a beast of a knife and you won’t be disappointed.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Behind the edge is .025 for most of the blade up to the radius on the tip where it thickens to .035
Last edited by Cycletroll on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Great fit n finish with one exception:
When closed the tip is awful close to the radius of the scale:
For comparison the OG Tuff:

OG Tuff weight:
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just found this:

https://youtu.be/VC67JJPY7aQ

... and ordered one
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I have been handling mine for the last couple hours. I only have 3 things I wish were different.

I wish the detent were stronger and I wish they had gone with a more agressive texture on the g10. I also wish they had kept the dimples.

I also think most people would disagree with me on the first 2 points. Its just my personal preference. I like overly strong detents and agressive g10. Realistically the knife is as it should be.

Thanks Schempp, Spyderco, and DLT.
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I just received mine, and it's great. Its nice getting a chance to experience some of these models that were discontinued before I got into Spyderco.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Ordered mine last night. Shipped first thing this morning! Impatiently awaiting the arrival! Now the hard decision of wether or not this goes into my work pants pocket or my jeans. The knife screams work but the price is saying afterwork jeans! Help me out gang! Haha
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Mine arrived today. Real nice knife! My only issue is that the detent is a bit weak. I can shake it open which worries me a bit. Perhaps tip down carry is the way to go?
Matus

Post by Matus »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:02 pm
Nice photos!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

So, this knife is an odd duck to me. I think it's going to be a fun carry so maybe odd in a good way. I haven't carried it so I don't want to be quick to pass judgment but here's some 1st impressions.
That's a Huge choil! I was thinking maybe it's for gloves but there's no lock bar cut out so it might be difficult to unlock with gloves? It's not like i have a hard time unlocking it but there's not much purchase on the lock bar so it's not exactly the easiest lock to disengage.
There's a lot of colors. Green G10, gray scale, black blade, black hardware, silver liner. The liner probably should have been coated black but I'm sure they have their reasoning.
I'm really liking the blade coating, it's like a gun barrel bluing.
It came exceptionally sharp. It shaves and slices through paper no problem but there's definitely some drag when cutting cardboard. And that fuller, it definitely leaves it's mark when stabbed into cardboard. I wouldn't want to be on the pointy side of that blade! I still need to find something to kukri the heck out of!
The detent seams ok to me but it could probably be a little bit stiffer. It's not hard to shake it open but the weight of the blade isn't doing it any favors in that department.
Mine squeaks like a hose spigot when i middle finger flick or Spydie drop it. But not when i open it with my thumb. I'm sure that will go away eventually though.
I closed it and tried to cut my finger on the tip, but i couldn't. The backspacer on mine is close enough that all of my digits are safe.
The handle fits me well and is generally comfy.
The only thing that's really bugging me about it so far is the point on the lock bar insert. It sticks out past the lock bar just enough to be irritating. My lock up is about 45%ish and i don't really want to mess that up so I'll probably just grind it off at work eventually. :spyder:

And 1 more pic just because. :)

•• Beau
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

The more I flip and admire this thing, the more I think it may be my favorite Spyderco ever. Just really well done piece and will suit my needs for a camping pocket knife just fine. My large Adamas is my current woods pocket knife, but I think the Tuff is going to replace it.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

:(
Buddafucco wrote: So, this knife is an odd duck to me. I think it's going to be a fun carry so maybe odd in a good way. I haven't carried it so I don't want to be quick to pass judgment but here's some 1st impressions.
That's a Huge choil! I was thinking maybe it's for gloves but there's no lock bar cut out so it might be difficult to unlock with gloves? It's not like i have a hard time unlocking it but there's not much purchase on the lock bar so it's not exactly the easiest lock to disengage.
There's a lot of colors. Green G10, gray scale, black blade, black hardware, silver liner. The liner probably should have been coated black but I'm sure they have their reasoning.
I'm really liking the blade coating, it's like a gun barrel bluing.
It came exceptionally sharp. It shaves and slices through paper no problem but there's definitely some drag when cutting cardboard. And that fuller, it definitely leaves it's mark when stabbed into cardboard. I wouldn't want to be on the pointy side of that blade! I still need to find something to kukri the heck out of!
The detent seams ok to me but it could probably be a little bit stiffer. It's not hard to shake it open but the weight of the blade isn't doing it any favors in that department.
Mine squeaks like a hose spigot when i middle finger flick or Spydie drop it. But not when i open it with my thumb. I'm sure that will go away eventually though.
I closed it and tried to cut my finger on the tip, but i couldn't. The backspacer on mine is close enough that all of my digits are safe.
The handle fits me well and is generally comfy.
The only thing that's really bugging me about it so far is the point on the lock bar insert. It sticks out past the lock bar just enough to be irritating. My lock up is about 45%ish and i don't really want to mess that up so I'll probably just grind it off at work eventually. :spyder:

The choil is huge. I thought the shaman had a big one but this one is giant.

I just threw on some work gloves and had no problem opening, handling, unlocking, and closing the knife.

I also like the coating. Its pretty much the only coated spyderco I like. It is like a bluing. It looks really good.

I also wish the detent was stronger but realistically, its fine.

Mine doesnt squeek, but Im sure it will go away.

Im also not worried about the tip being too close to the butt of the handle or whatever, its fine.

My point on the lockbar insert seems to be more flush. In fact I didnt realise it until you pointed it out. With that said I havent noticed it and it doesnt bother me or my hands.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:58 pm

My point on the lockbar insert seems to be more flush. In fact I didnt realise it until you pointed it out. With that said I havent noticed it and it doesnt bother me or my hands.
How is your lock up? One of my pics up there shows mine. I really didn't want to disassemble the knife if i didn't have to but if yours is flush maybe i should try adjusting the insert.
•• Beau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

40 percent or so.
Attachments
20210724_163907.jpg
20210724_163845.jpg
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

I had accidentally ordered two in a rush, was going to offload the second to a buddy or something but now the wife and son both want the extra... Wallet is in the corner crying and won't come out
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

A masterpiece. This knife/iteration really resonates with me. Taichung really is something else, the hand chamfered edges give me faith in humanity.