Mystery DLT Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rcbalt2

Re: Mystery DLT Exclusive

Post by rcbalt2 »

I probably would have picked one up if it had the dimples. It lacks the character of the original.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The original did also have a G10 scale over a full stainless steel liner.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

Still more than 600 one hour after the drop. These are going slowly, everyone who wants one will be able to get one!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I can’t believe I bought one, so pricey especially after exchange to Canadian. And I’m already planning on spending more to have it engraved like I did my Swayback, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JMM

Post by JMM »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:48 am
JMM wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 am
I got interrupted and couldn't get back to my order just now and it went through without a hitch, I think these will probably be around for a minute, it's an odd looking & expensive knife that most ppl won't get...

:D

The biggest appeal to me about the original was the rare as hen's teeth in a folder 3V steel, and I still didn't buy one. Without the 3V it is just an odd looking knife as you said.
I had the OG version and I just couldn't take the edge retention, it was on par with my decade old 154CM Manix. But it was a very cool (and unusual) knife design otherwise.... and while I'm not a huge CruWear fan I do like it. I'm interested in what others take on it is, it's bigger and heavier than most folks will want to EDC for sure. :eek: :rolleyes:

:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:16 am
Yeah, the Tuff is more of an design icon than actual user. Not that it could not withstand hard use, but if you need a knife that tuff, you grab a fixed blade most of the time. If it were a LITTLE bit thinner/lighter, I would get one and actually use it.

And even an average sized/built fixed blade is probably significantly stronger just because of the disadvantages of folding designs. Still, after doing my ill fated attempt of carrying a Jumpmaster 2 I've found that a folder is just plain more convenient sometimes so maybe someone out there could actually benefit from a beefy folder. Strider and Hinderer and CRK seem to make a living off of them. I do wonder how this knife would be with a super high hollow grind, at least up to just under the fuller. It would still wedge at the top of the blade but at least it would slice better below the fuller and it's a fairly tall blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

I was in a hurry to get to work, not paying attention and accidentally ordered 2, wife called about 15min later when I was in the car asking what the $630 charge was for! opps
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

notfixingit wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 pm
I was in a hurry to get to work, not paying attention and accidentally ordered 2, wife called about 15min later when I was in the car asking what the $630 charge was for! opps
Oooofff! Even worse if she would have questioned "just" the $315! Might find yourself in the doghouse sir! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I'll be curious to see how this compares to my original dimpled 3V (D3v?) Version?
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:15 pm
notfixingit wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 pm
Oooofff! Even worse if she would have questioned "just" the $315! Might find yourself in the doghouse sir! :p
Thankfully she expected the $315, she woke me up early to make sure I was on to order it lol but yeah, not $630, it will just end up costing me more now, since I'll have to buy flowers on the way home tonight... I should be able to find a friend to buy the extra or I guess worse case I can offload it on ebay even know the idea of that makes me feel dirty

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's amazing we've reached a point where if a sprint or exclusive doesn't sell out in literally minutes, it isn't considered a success or popular.
~David
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm
It's amazing we've reached a point where if a sprint or exclusive doesn't sell out in literally minutes, it isn't considered a success or popular.
it's hard to judge that, who knows how many DLT ordered and it is up there in price which i'm guessing is a smaller consumer group.

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
I've thought the same thing during a few of the recent exclusives that have dropped. I'm guessing more of these exclusive knives are being produced than in years past. I'm sure distributors are more than happy when they unload their entire stock in less than a day...even if it doesn't happen in a minute and 6 seconds.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

Ugh I have been ridiculous lately I need to calm down, but I talked myself into one because I couldn't get out of my head how much I wanted the original back when it released and I just couldn't make it happen back then. I like that the sprint doesn't have the dimples, it gives the original and this version their own character.

I wasn't sure how this one would go availability wise, but I had hoped that the price point would keep it from vanishing in 5 minutes so I'd have a chance. I had wondered about it because Cru-Wear is popular, but this isn't a practical daily user for most people either. It seems the "user" models people actually carry and use released in the super steels are the sprints that go poof the fastest.

I admit it's a bit of a silly choice for me and my current needs. But when has that ever stopped me? Though in my own defense I did used to EDC larger knives constantly back when I did real work for a living, and I've almost always preferred the "larger" version even back when I was a kid. I'm an Endura guy, not a Delica guy. I don't know the longer blade necessarily does anything, but I've always liked the feel and handling and aesthetics of a larger knife. Spydercos especially just seem to accomplish something I can't quite put my finger on with the larger folders, whether designed in house or as a collaboration.

Heh, if I hadn't already gotten him a shotgun for Christmas (well I went in on one for him), I'd have gotten my brother one because he'd actually beat the living snot out of this thing.

I like big Spydercos and I cannot lie. I need a Subvert too. And a Manix XL. And a Native Chief.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’m carrying my Szabo so the Tuff won’t seem so big and heavy when it gets here!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

I was set on waiting and doing a trade for one, but an original one sold on eBay for $610 today. Now the thinking is to sell a few this week and get one tonight through DLT avoiding the secondary market altogether.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm
Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
Why not? Works great for opening boxes.

The spyderhole helps hold it in position

Then you just use it like so to cut tape.

Your hand isn't in the path of the blade. I've done this for years with several different spydercos.
I certainly hope you're not teaching these knife skills to anyone else!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
I've thought the same thing during a few of the recent exclusives that have dropped. I'm guessing more of these exclusive knives are being produced than in years past. I'm sure distributors are more than happy when they unload their entire stock in less than a day...even if it doesn't happen in a minute and 6 seconds.

If the first round of Rex45 went that fast I'd have never landed any of 'em.... It is definitely becoming the new normal :rolleyes:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Chuck James wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm
VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm
Do not use a half opened unlocked knife.
Why not? Works great for opening boxes.

The spyderhole helps hold it in position

Then you just use it like so to cut tape.

Your hand isn't in the path of the blade. I've done this for years with several different spydercos.
I certainly hope you're not teaching these knife skills to anyone else!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Try it. You'll like it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's so funny these are already on eBay for $500 when they're not even sold out yet. Like the Colorado PM2 too.
~David