Sharpening super steel with the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Loki.88

Sharpening super steel with the sharpmaker?

Post by Loki.88 »

I have been sharpening my knives with the standard :spyder: sharpmaker since the beginning of the 90's. Added a leather strop with compound later. I never had any issues with sharpening my knives. I recently bought a UKPK in S110V and after reading the comments am fearfull that i won't be able to sharpen it mysef without diamond rods or some fancy expensive sharpening system. What's :spyder: take on this issue? Is it possible to sharpen S110V on the standard sharpmaker brown and white rods? Or should i send it in every time it's dull?
brett1081

Re: Sharpening super steel with the sharpmaker?

Post by brett1081 »

I think it has been proven that you will get the best results on vanadium rich steels with medium and fine grit diamond stones followed by a ceramic stone or strop. I am not sure what the sharpmaker has but for small folders I have been impressed with the capability of the new Worksharp Precision Adjust. It has a three way block with two diamond and one ceramic stone, and for $50 is a really good value for what you get.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Diamonds or CBN are always recommended in my opinion. You can go the budget route and wrap sandpaper around the rods, I reprofiled a Maxamet Native this way just to see if I could.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z1r

Post by z1r »

I don't own any S110V but do own an S90V which hasn't needed any sharpening yet. I did sharpen my K390 Endela after a day spent cutting up cardboard boxes and was surprised that maybe a dozen strokes per side on the brown rods was all that was required to bring the edge back to shaving sharp. I was expecting it to be much more difficult.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I should also point out, there's a massive difference between sharpening and reprofiling.
~David
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 am
I should also point out, there's a massive difference between sharpening and reprofiling.
Yes for sure
I can renew my buddy’s S110v back with a SAK 600 diamond steel and strop with 1 micron diamond spray, but forget s110v unless you have a belt or wheel
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

Thank you for the info. I never reprofile my blades. I don't need a lightsaber grind. I like a utility profile.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Evil D wrote:
Yes, I think touch up are easily accomplished with the brown rods, while restoring a well used blade or reprofiling would require or at least be sped up using more aggressive rods.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I use my Sharpmaker on S110 and S90, it seems to work well. I’m not trying to reprofile or polish or achieve a mirror edge though. I do strop afterwards as well and I can tell that the blade is sharper afterwards. Whether it’s as good as some more skilled and patient gurus could achieve I don’t know.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

Thx Kodai78. I think i'm in the same ballpark. Never get my knives so dull that they really need to get sharpened and i don't have enough knowledge or the right tools to fiddle with edge geometry.
Thx to the rest for all the replies!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

“The Sharp-Maker is more of a Sharp-Keeper”
- Nick Shabezz
"Some call me...Tim?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Yes, I think touch up are easily accomplished with the brown rods, while restoring a well used blade or reprofiling would require or at least be sped up using more aggressive rods.

Fixing chips and getting a bevel that's steeper than 20 degrees per side are the main uses. After a while every bevel needs thinned out, I guess it just depends on how much you use a knife. If you're ok with going a long time between sharpening and you're gentle with the edge you probably won't need the heavier grits for a while, but for $55 they're well worth skipping a knife purchase if you don't have diamond or CBN rods.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

hi Brett,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I had a heck of a time sharpening and reprofiling s110v and maxamet until I bought diamond stones. There is nothing I can't handle now and really enjoy being able to reprofile to my liking. It's actually easy now. I think theyre worth investing in if you want to get into the "super steels". So much time and effort saved.