1989 Police model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fastbolt

1989 Police model

Post by fastbolt »

One of the other retired cops with whom I smoke cigars has an older Police model I thought was interesting. He said it was a gift given to him in '89 in his early LAPD days. The blade is marked Hoffritz (vendor?), and no steel is indicated. Just Spyderco and Seki-Japan. Old style all-plastic handle, including integral clip.

As can be seen from the pics, he uses (abuses) it for everything, and it's always on him. He said it was his backup to his deep carry 3913 in his early U/C days.

Anything interesting, historically, about this early plastic Police model?

yablanowitz

Re: 1989 Police model

Post by yablanowitz »

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's an Endura, not a Police Model. The Police didn't get FRN until the P4 a year or so ago.

And yes, Hoffritz was a big distributor back then. Steel is probably GIN-1.

Still a nice piece of Spyderco history.

Edit to add: here's a close up of the medallian on the handle.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That thing is in great shape for its age. If people want to know how long FRN lasts, well it lasts easily 32 years!

Great post!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
fastbolt

Post by fastbolt »

Nice. Thanks. I didn't have the time to look at it too closely that day when I was able to grab a couple pics of it before he left, and didn't examine the medallion. Mea culpa. ;) I wasn't wearing my reading glasses at the time. :)

I knew it was a bit short for the Police model with which I'm familiar. FWIW, mine is an early Police model that was engraved by the guy who engraved some of the older ones to commemorate the various Teams (SEALS). I think I bought it in the mid 90's? I have an older Delica with the fully serrated blade and all-plastic handle/clip, myself.

He said he got it as a graduation gift when he completed his academy. It won't bother him at all that it's an early Endura. :)

Thanks.