S110V doesn't "feel" sharp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: S110V doesn't "feel" sharp

Post by The Meat man »

notfixingit wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:50 am
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:04 pm
I agree with Sharp Guy. It seems the more precise and careful you can be the stickier the edge. Of course this is true of every steel but I think S110V is a lot more sensitive in this regard.

I know since getting my Wicked Edge system, I can get stickier edges on S110V (and others) than I could even with my Hapstone.
What's your thoughts on the wicked edge? I've been thinking about picking up the V3 Pro, buy once, cry once kind of a thing.
I love mine. I've got the WE130 model, bought it used with some extras for a really good price. It's fantastic. I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer it is to be able to sharpen both sides simultaneously, at a consistent angle. I can sit there and make featherlight passes, alternating sides, for as long as I want without fatigue or getting my angle off. Results in a super crisp, sticky sharp apex.

It's a lot of money and maybe a little overpriced, but it's by far the best sharpener I've ever owned.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:38 am
notfixingit wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I agree with Sharp Guy. It seems the more precise and careful you can be the stickier the edge. Of course this is true of every steel but I think S110V is a lot more sensitive in this regard.

I know since getting my Wicked Edge system, I can get stickier edges on S110V (and others) than I could even with my Hapstone.
What's your thoughts on the wicked edge? I've been thinking about picking up the V3 Pro, buy once, cry once kind of a thing.
I love mine. I've got the WE130 model, bought it used with some extras for a really good price. It's fantastic. I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer it is to be able to sharpen both sides simultaneously, at a consistent angle. I can sit there and make featherlight passes, alternating sides, for as long as I want without fatigue or getting my angle off. Results in a super crisp, sticky sharp apex.

It's a lot of money and maybe a little overpriced, but it's by far the best sharpener I've ever owned.
My problem with the WE is that the stone options are limited. No access to all the wonderful new bonded CBN and Diamond stones now on the market.

I like the edge pro professional for fixed system sharpening since there is no clamp to fiddle with and the stone options are so vast.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:00 pm
Zive wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm
What abrasives are you using?
I've tried various diamond abrasives and silicon carbide(400grit and lower). I have some Smiths and DMT plated diamond stones but I just can't get it that sharp with those but they work for any other steel even S90V. I'm currently using a set of Venev stones the lower grit is resin bonded and the higher grit is OCB. It's the S110V is very deceptive, sometimes it will feel dull but it still shaves.
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 pm
I've had the same basic experience when sharpening S110V on the Sharpmaker (or similar) even when using diamonds or CBN. I can get that sticky sharp feeling if I use my Hapstone V7. I suspect that S110V is just less forgiving of slightly varying angles than some of the other steels. That theory doesn't really make sense to me though. I can get everything else sticky sharp on a V style setup including Maxamet.
I like the way Maxamet and S9OV sharpen.
Convexity might be killing the edge. While a edge can have a wide bevel and appear to be a low angle there can be some hidden convexity hiding at the apex.

My advice is to keep freehand progression to 2-3 stones max and to use 1um diamond spray on leather to finish.

Never be afraid to use sharpie to see what's being hit on the stone.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 pm
The Meat man wrote:
notfixingit wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

My problem with the WE is that the stone options are limited. No access to all the wonderful new bonded CBN and Diamond stones now on the market.

I like the edge pro professional for fixed system sharpening since there is no clamp to fiddle with and the stone options are so vast.
I'm nowhere near your level of sharpening obsession or skill, ;) so the plated diamond stones are good enough for me. One thing I like about them is that they don't dish and they don't load in 3 seconds like my Venev bonded diamond stones for my Hapstone.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

I'm nowhere near your level of sharpening obsession or skill, ;) so the plated diamond stones are good enough for me. One thing I like about them is that they don't dish and they don't load in 3 seconds like my Venev bonded diamond stones for my Hapstone.
Thanks Connor
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
notfixingit wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Hi Shawn, are there any particular stones you'd care to mention for edge pro use in a situation like this?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 pm
Convexity might be killing the edge. While a edge can have a wide bevel and appear to be a low angle there can be some hidden convexity hiding at the apex.

My advice is to keep freehand progression to 2-3 stones max and to use 1um diamond spray on leather to finish.

Never be afraid to use sharpie to see what's being hit on the stone.
I'm slowly getting better with my freehand. When I first started a few months ago I couldn't get S110V to shave and hated the steel for it. Now I can get it against the skin shaving sharp but I can't get it as sharp as I can CPM Cruwear.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The Meat man wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

Metallic bonded CBN might be up your alley?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

With high wear resistant steels, you need to spend longer at each grit and you can't make a big leap in your grit progression.
tomhosangoutdoors

Post by tomhosangoutdoors »

The Meat man wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

Just because there's some steel on the surface of the stone doesn't mean they're loaded up. They still cut just fine. I get 3 or 4 sharpenings out of mine on my Hapstone before they need cleaned. They just start to cut a bit slower.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I use to use stones and diamond plates. Now as I gotten older and less patient. I just use a Worksharp to sharpen and a honing steel to maintain an edge.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tomhosangoutdoors wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:47 am
The Meat man wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Just because there's some steel on the surface of the stone doesn't mean they're loaded up. They still cut just fine. I get 3 or 4 sharpenings out of mine on my Hapstone before they need cleaned. They just start to cut a bit slower.
It's mostly on the finer grits that I experience the glazing problem. So most times I don't go any higher than 240 or maybe 400 grit (and even those seem to leave a much finer finish than a comparable plated stone.) Using these coarser stones, I can get a lot of sharpenings out of them as you said. If I go much finer, it feels more like the stone is just burnishing rather than cutting. Whereas with the plated diamond stones, I can go to 1,000 grit and it feels more like I'm actually removing steel and I still get a semi-coarse, super sticky edge.

I clean the Venev stones with BKF and I've also lapped them with loose SiC grit but that takes a long time and doesn't seem to help all that much.

Hey BTW, I enjoy your podcast. Keep it up! :thumbsup:
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 am

Metallic bonded CBN might be up your alley?
Yeah I'd probably like something like that more, something that stays flat for as long as possible.
- Connor

tomhosangoutdoors

Post by tomhosangoutdoors »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:18 am
tomhosangoutdoors wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:47 am
The Meat man wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

It's mostly on the finer grits that I experience the glazing problem. So most times I don't go any higher than 240 or maybe 400 grit (and even those seem to leave a much finer finish than a comparable plated stone.) Using these coarser stones, I can get a lot of sharpenings out of them as you said. If I go much finer, it feels more like the stone is just burnishing rather than cutting. Whereas with the plated diamond stones, I can go to 1,000 grit and it feels more like I'm actually removing steel and I still get a semi-coarse, super sticky edge.

I clean the Venev stones with BKF and I've also lapped them with loose SiC grit but that takes a long time and doesn't seem to help all that much.

Hey BTW, I enjoy your podcast. Keep it up! :thumbsup:
Thanks! :D

I definitely agree with you on the 800/1200. I like the finer stones but don't use them too often since they do glaze pretty quickly and don't really like those super polished edges. The 240 and 400 are really like a 320 and 600 in the plated stones and obviously don't leave as deep of scratches. They both have their place and I play around with both depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tomhosangoutdoors wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:29 am

Thanks! :D

I definitely agree with you on the 800/1200. I like the finer stones but don't use them too often since they do glaze pretty quickly and don't really like those super polished edges. The 240 and 400 are really like a 320 and 600 in the plated stones and obviously don't leave as deep of scratches. They both have their place and I play around with both depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Yep it's great there's so much variety, there's always something interesting and different to try.
Right now I'm having a lot of fun with the edges off the WE, and 1000 grit seems like the sweet spot. I can get them hair whittling sharp, yet toothy enough so that they'll grab and slice into a plastic bag if drawn lightly alongside it. In some ways it's a different animal from what I was used to with the Hapstone.
The only thing I want yet is some stropping compound. I've got a set of leather strops for the WE, but they're not loaded.
- Connor

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ok so I spent my evening getting my S110V sharp. It seems my coarse plate might have been too coarse. I decided to just use a DMT fine in a fixed angle setup. It took over an hour but I finally got it bring up a burr on both sides. After deburring I used a diy strop for my fixed angle system with 1um diamond paste.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm
Ok so I spent my evening getting my S110V sharp. It seems my coarse plate might have been too coarse. I decided to just use a DMT fine in a fixed angle setup. It took over an hour but I finally got it bring up a burr on both sides. After deburring I used a diy strop for my fixed angle system with 1um diamond paste.
Strong work, let us know how it performs overtime.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote:

This is my main gripe with WE. They make a great (if overpriced) product, my edges have never looked better.

But as a company they seem completely disinterested in expanding their stone offerings. They sell 'blank' handles for aftermarket stones, but no one makes them. For a company that wants to be top dog in the world of guided angle sharpeners, I find their attitude of 'our limited selection of stones is good enough' perplexing.

I couldn't even get them to look into a rounded diamond hone for hawkbills (they only have 2 grits in ceramic), when I reached out to them, they suggested I buy some of their lapping film and tape it to the ceramic hone :rolleyes: KME can sell a three sided rounded diamond hone for $40 and the best WE can do is "tape some stuff to the ceramic hone"? Disappointing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

This is my main gripe with WE. They make a great (if overpriced) product, my edges have never looked better.

But as a company they seem completely disinterested in expanding their stone offerings. They sell 'blank' handles for aftermarket stones, but no one makes them. For a company that wants to be top dog in the world of guided angle sharpeners, I find their attitude of 'our limited selection of stones is good enough' perplexing.

I couldn't even get them to look into a rounded diamond hone for hawkbills (they only have 2 grits in ceramic), when I reached out to them, they suggested I buy some of their lapping film and tape it to the ceramic hone :rolleyes: KME can sell a three sided rounded diamond hone for $40 and the best WE can do is "tape some stuff to the ceramic hone"? Disappointing.
Reminds me of the video game console wars. Companies arguing about graphics and hardware meanwhile all the gamers know it's all about the killer apps
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
benben

Post by benben »

I only have one knife with S110V, a Manix LW, and my only sharpener is my Sharpmaker. Doing the old thumb test I’ve never said or thought this Manix was screaming sharp, say compared to VG-10 or Cru-wear. But it still cuts and cuts and cuts! I’ve just learned to live with it!