Para3 LW lockbar tension

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Para3 LW lockbar tension

Post by samdasnake »

I have 2 Para3 LWs. One in BD1N and the other in Spy27. The lock bar tension on the BD1N one is great but on my Spy27 one the lock bar is quite weak. To the point that it doesn't fully engage the lock face causing vertical blade play. Any suggestions? I was considering disassembling the knife and bending the spring but I don't know how wisr that would be.
JRinFL

Re: Para3 LW lockbar tension

Post by JRinFL »

Call Spyderco’s Warranty department before doing anything.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That should go back for W&R. If you alter it like that it has no warranty anymore. Aside from that they should know about quality issues so they can be addressed. Describing it online in the forum isn't the same as having the company look it over. Good luck.
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

I have the same issue with my P3LW Spy27, noticed after few month (rarely carried, mostly just fidgeted). Though it doesnt bother me yet. Will bend a spring someday (w&r is not an reasonable option overseas).
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I think I'll send it in to W&R.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I cracked mine open and bent the lockbar a bit. Works great now for safe IWB carry. Eric has a great video of the disassembly on YouTube.
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Leksy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:39 pm
I have the same issue with my P3LW Spy27, noticed after few month (rarely carried, mostly just fidgeted). Though it doesnt bother me yet. Will bend a spring someday (w&r is not an reasonable option overseas).
Update: I have remembered a common method, how to deal with a backlock spring which is too stiff - you can leave it half-opened, until the spring become softer.
So I decided to go the opposite way and just have left the knife open for about a week or two, and now my issue is gone. I guess, the spring have "relaxed" and regained some stiffness.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Leksy wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:48 am
Leksy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:39 pm
Update: I have remembered a common method, how to deal with a backlock spring which is too stiff - you can leave it half-opened, until the spring become softer.
So I decided to go the opposite way and just have left the knife open for about a week or two, and now my issue is gone. I guess, the spring have "relaxed" and regained some stiffness.
That's awesome thanks for the update. I'll definitely give it a try. Also, congrats on your new Laguiole. One of my Grail knives. So jealous!! :)