My son got me a Native Chief!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nuh Nups

My son got me a Native Chief!

Post by Nuh Nups »

We were visiting with some family, enjoying Father’s Day and my wife and son walked over with a gift bag for me. It had a card and a Spyderco box in it!! It was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive Native Chief; dark orange scales and a dlc coated CTS-XHP blade. I was blown away. To all of you on this forum who have said how incredibly comfortable the knife is in-hand, I couldn’t agree more!! Seems to fit my hand perfectly using any type of grip. Factory sharpening was excellent. Bevels are very even and it’s very sharp, right out of the box. My wife said she was looking at some knives and my son insisted that they “need” to get me the orange knife. (My son’s third birthday is right around the corner). :D

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has posted about their Chief. My wife knew it was on my radar and I am very happy that she and my son decided to get it for me. I also want to mention, they had a great experience with Cutlery Shoppe. Jeff helped them out and he sounds like a great guy!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
cabfrank

Re: My son got me a Native Chief!

Post by cabfrank »

Excellent!
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Your son and wife have great taste and gift ideas. I love my Native Chief.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Congratulations! It’s a special memory every time that you use it!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Awesome! Good thing the CS NC exclusive lasted quite a while. And I've had nothing but good experiences with CS; I've managed to snag their Shaman exclusives without any problems despite being based overseas, and the freebies like the flight tag and candies are top notch. Jeff is a stellar gentleman in my opinion.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

That's awesome, congratulations!! The Chief is great, keep us posted on how you feel about it!
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wow, what a gift - and what a son! He's a keeper, huh? :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Awesome! So...what did "he" do? Hahaha! Just kidding. That is a nice gift.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I shared them all with my wife earlier this morning. I’m lucky that she shares my interest in knives. My boy seems like he will too. He wants to be involved in pretty much anything I do at this point though! I will definitely think of them whenever I use it.

Glad to hear others have had a similar experience with Cutlery Shoppe. My wife says they will be getting more of our business in the future.

I will probably do an update at some point as far as how the knife is doing. I’ve never had a knife in XHP so I’m interested to see how it does!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:50 pm
Awesome! So...what did "he" do? Hahaha! Just kidding. That is a nice gift.
Haha! He had the most important part! Making sure my wife picked a knife in HIS favorite color!! :)

I do think it looks great. It’s a good color for someone who spends a lot of time outdoors. Definitely wouldn’t be easy to set it down and have it blend in somewhere!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What a great gift! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

You are lucky to have a family like that.

The Native Chief has replaced every other folder that I EDC. It has a great blade profile, great handle, and great steel!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

those gifts are the best. i'm sure the knife will be around long enough to be his one day, so he did a good job choosing his favorite color.

😂
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sounds like an awesome Father's Day gift!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

You do have a great family.... and now a great knife too! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wow! Great gift! It's always nice when they know exactly what to get. And it makes the knife all the more special too. :spyder:
z1r

Post by z1r »

Congrats. That is a heck of a knife. Every time I handle one I want to buy one. But, alas, can't carry one around here!

My Birthday was in May and my youngest dragged his Mom up to the SFO to buy the Spy27 N5 I showed him when we visited. The fact that the two of them got it for me as a gift makes me want to use it on almost everything. It has become my goto EDC.

It's great when family pays attention to what you like, even better if they share your same interests. Count your blessings!