Increase in Exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
notfixingit

Re: Increase in Exclusives?

Post by notfixingit »

I have mixed feelings on this also, enough that Im not sure my opinion is even valid. If they are killing production models though, that's a big concern.

One thing I do wish is that Spyderco would require exclusives to abide by some ground rules, like listing the time and date ahead of release so the disaster REC exclusives releases don't continue to make both the seller and Spyderco look bad.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ric,

At this time, Eric just announced that we will be cutting back on exclusives until we can catch up with regular production.

sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

Can't say I'm happy about that but maybe my bank account will be.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That's actually something I like to hear! I miss the frequency of diversity in actual designs coming from Spyderco. I love seeing the plethora of Golden made exclusives too but it was the range of designs in their catalog that originally piqued my obsession to the brand.
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

I'm sure we'll get back to them after we stabilize.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'd love to have some of the prototypes be fast-tracked into production versus the same old PM2/P3/Shaman exclusives...I know I'm not the only one excited for a new and truly ambidextrous Military as well as JD's Ayoob request :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am
Hi Ric,

At this time, Eric just announced that we will be cutting back on exclusives until we can catch up with regular production.

sal
exclusives are kind of cool, but this is way better news. it's sad to see all of the regular production out of stock while so many exclusives are pouring out for those that have time to sit on the internet at random times and fight bots for knives.

hopefully we'll get to see some steel expansions to production lines also. i know there was talk about more lc200n models in production back when the native salt was released, so that would be pretty cool too.

i look forward to grabbing an ikuchi and s35vn resilience before too long. and, of course, i'm sure there are new designs coming that we don't even know about that we'll all need to add to our collections.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I’m not even interested in probably 98% of the Sprints or exclusives because I don’t buy anything with vanadium carbide “super steels”. I also don’t have the time to sit on my phone and refresh a site for an exclusive drop that sells out in minutes. That said, I do own one Sprint run knife, an Urban with AEB-L only because it didn’t sell out fast, and it’s not full of vanadium.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Good to know! There's been a lot of smaller-run models that have become harder to find just based on production capacity/schedule.

It's a good problem to have, but at the same time the exclusive market is quick to change.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ric

Post by Ric »

@sal: thanks for your comments.
That are good but also sad news, overall more good I would say.

The Exclusive are back to be the icing / cherries on the cake.

Looking forward to the catalog-stuff released and excited for the upcoming sprints / flash batches and exclusives as well.

Again, thanks to you and the whole family (team) for delivering such nice products, and building such awesome community.
It's a pleasure to be a part of it.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It's good to pause the pace of Sprints/Exclusives to allow the 37 announced new production models to be released plus there are a lot of older production models that are out of stock. I'm sure this will not be an immediate pause since there must be a number of Exclusives already in the pipeline.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love seeing new collaborations with knife designers or new spyderco-designed production knives over sprints/exclusives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I could care less about the exclusivity part of it, I just dont like most of the standard steel options and color combos for non-exclusives, so I end up seeking out exclusives.

It would be nice to have more high end steels on regular production knives. I'll live with swapping scales if I can find a steel that peaks my interest.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:15 pm
I love seeing new collaborations with knife designers or new spyderco-designed production knives over sprints/exclusives
I agree.
So many stories could be told, look at the many different threads: Roadie 2, Dragonfly XL, Lil Kapara, Stretch XL and so on....

I also bought some Exclusives lately and wished it whould be easier to get them in Europe.

Thanks to Ric for this topic.
And thanks to Sal and the Spyder-Gang :D for your work.

ASF :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
This ^.

She gets it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
This ^.

She gets it.
I also agree. At this point, I'm ready for some new models...not so much different flavors of current models. I'm glad to hear they are taking this route!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I completely agree but what's even better is when a dealer does an excusive of one of the collaboration models

:)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jdw

Post by jdw »

The different and unique designs that Spyderco offered is what initially drew me to the brand as well. I got distracted by the super steel frenzy but the same model with a different color G10 and a different flavor of steel is becoming pretty stale. I am ready for a surge of Spyderco creativity but I understand the lure of the exclusive market.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:10 am
The different and unique designs that Spyderco offered is what initially drew me to the brand as well. I got distracted by the super steel frenzy but the same model with a different color G10 and a different flavor of steel is becoming pretty stale. I am ready for a surge of Spyderco creativity.
Yes!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I love the idea of having many steel and color variants, so exclusives are great for that, but I wish the dealers would take bigger chances. Knifejoy brought back the Bowie, which I didn’t want, but at least it was something different. I completely why dealers go with the safe bet and get an exclusive pm2/p3 or shaman, but I’d really like to see exclusives of collaborations or odd models. A new variation on things like the Amalgam or Siren would be awesome. Though it’s good to hear Sal say they’re gonna focus less of exclusives for the time being, as one of my favorite things about Spyderco is the wide variety of models they have. Not many makers have such a vast selection of interesting different models.