Q-Ball resin printed ball cage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Q-Ball resin printed ball cage

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I mentioned this in other threads but thought it needed its own. This is one of those knives you should definently try first hand before buying. The only way to unlock a Q-ball is to use your thumb nail to get the ball to move because you can't grip it. The Manix 2 and P'kal use caged BB locks with smaller bearings. The cage gives you something to actually grab instead of a polished smooth ball bearing.

The resin printer came in handy because I went through about 8 versions before it was right. The cage was printed in clear resin but I didn't really like the look so I dyed it black, I guess it should be white so it doesn't look like an 8 ball. I have a bunch of different Rit dyes and red is going to be the first color I try then maybe blue. It still needs some small tweaks to strengthen it in weak areas but as a prototype it works great. With the last version I'm able to operate the lock with one finger as long as you don't fling the blade open with force because it causes lock stick and that could break this resin version. The end goal would be to have it casted in bronze or machined in some other metal for more reliability.
Attachments
qballcage v8.png
20210619_210244(1).jpg
IMG_20210620_155051.jpg
20210621_084116_2.jpg
Airlsee

Re: Q-Ball resin printed ball cage

Post by Airlsee »

Nice work!! This knife was literally just sitting in it's box for the last 2 years, I'm glad you have given it a new life!! If it had come with a CBB I probably would not have sold it, but then again I only bought it because it had the exposed ceramic ball so...haha!
So it goes.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent work!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This is the newest version almost there.
Attachments
20210623_144704.jpg
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Are you going to send it out to be printed in metal to some place like Sculpteo or similar? Or do you have access to a metal printer?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:10 pm
Are you going to send it out to be printed in metal to some place like Sculpteo or similar? Or do you have access to a metal printer?
That would be the end goal because the resin isn't durable enough for long term.
I would like to go with some place like Shapeways to have it metal 3d printed but bronze casting is a possibility. The last iteration is very strong so I'm optimistic it could be injection molded.

Edit: This is it so far, I think it's ready just need some testing first. The supports were added in fusion because its a pain to get small objects to print without a raft but with supports. I got used to doing it when trying to get clear to actually print clear. The cage will more than likely need fitted to each individual knife so I put a little extra material in the weaker area. In my knife right out of the printer it will work but has a hard spot that only takes a little sanding to get it perfect.
Attachments
newballcagetest3.png
newballcagetest2.png
newballcagetest.png
Josh Crutchley

Update

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Changed some clearances and added reinforcement in weak areas.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5187245
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Makes me wish I still had mine . Great effort on your part being persistent towards your goal . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

If these become available, I'm definitely getting one. Please keep us updated. And if it fits the Dodo also, well then that would be huge as well.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:55 pm
If these become available, I'm definitely getting one. Please keep us updated. And if it fits the Dodo also, well then that would be huge as well.
You could always download the file and have someone like Xometry or Shapeways print it for you.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The naked BBL is the reason I never bought what was an otherwise attractive model. It is the one thing Spyderco does that seems to be more about looks than function. Cage 'em up please. I never carry the D'allara for this reason, which is a shame.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
zatch

Post by zatch »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 am
With the last version I'm able to operate the lock with one finger as long as you don't fling the blade open with force because it causes lock stick and that could break this resin version. The end goal would be to have it casted in bronze or machined in some other metal for more reliability.
Hey Josh, is the blueprint you have on Thingiverse the most updated version? Any updates on this project? Just picked up a Q Ball and found out that my hands are not as tough and dexterous as I thought they were. Trying to find out the best way to get one of your cages printed
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

If they would ever ball cage this model I would have it back in my collection . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

zatch wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 am

Hey Josh, is the blueprint you have on Thingiverse the most updated version? Any updates on this project? Just picked up a Q Ball and found out that my hands are not as tough and dexterous as I thought they were. Trying to find out the best way to get one of your cages printed
Yes it is. I'm going to test it today and update any issues. It should be good as is but I did change a few things since my last test print.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Newest revision SLS printed in Nylon 12. It's plain white color will work good since it covers the ceramic ball bearing. The texture is a little rough probably from the SLS process.
Attachments
PXL_20220607_231611121~2.jpg