Manix 2 Kirinite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Manix 2 Kirinite

Post by Doc Dan »

have any of you seen the guy on Facebook with the Manix 2 in white pearl kirinite? That is a spectacular looking knife. I do not know if he is a member here, or not. His name is Kevin Mays. I hope Spyderco will try some of that pearl Kirinite in whatever color (blue is my choice).

That while pearl with black is pure goodness.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Senfkarte

Re: Manix 2 Kirinite

Post by Senfkarte »

Looks interesting. Don't know if it just looks good, or it's nice to see something different.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I agree, it's an interesting material. It's not normally a material I would be interested in on a knife. To me it just looks a bit too gaudy. Also, I wonder how strong (or weak) Kirinite is when it's that thin?

If I recall correctly, Sal said Spyderco tried experimenting with Kirinite nearly a decade ago. From which, Spyderco eventually used some glow in the dark Kirinite on the EDC Forums GITD Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL exclusives. Haven't heard of it ever being used again by Spyderco after that though.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you bring up this post today, just yesterday I swapped the scales on the Mule I won from Larry's contest, back to the red pearl kirinite scales that he provided.

They are different that's for sure. A little flashy for me, but very unique so it's fun to switch it up, especially as easy as it is with a Mule.

These are contoured, so they have a nice grip to them. They are pretty slick though. They feel like they could possibly chip rather easily if dropped on a hard surface, but I have no proof to back that up. Not a scale material I'd like to use in the warehouse setting on a daily basis.

But...they sure are fancy!!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

All those knives are pretty with the Kirinite scales. On their web page are some rather flamboyant patterns. I bet it would be fun to work with.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, the interesting thing about Kirinite is that when it is wet it gets more traction, somehow. Weird but true.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 am
Funny you bring up this post today, just yesterday I swapped the scales on the Mule I won from Larry's contest, back to the red pearl kirinite scales that he provided.

They are different that's for sure. A little flashy for me, but very unique so it's fun to switch it up, especially as easy as it is with a Mule.

These are contoured, so they have a nice grip to them. They are pretty slick though. They feel like they could possibly chip rather easily if dropped on a hard surface, but I have no proof to back that up. Not a scale material I'd like to use in the warehouse setting on a daily basis.

But...they sure are fancy!!

Try dampening your hands with a little water and then grip the knife. If it is real Kirinite, it will suddenly not be slick any longer and actually gain a lot of grip.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050