REX 45 Para - snapped tip!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Re: REX 45 Para - snapped tip!

Post by Sonorum »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm
Dremel with a sanding barrel. I'm so bad at rounding off tips on the Sharpmaker that it's a routine touch-up for me.
I thought the whole thing with serrations WAS to round of the tips! :p
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm
Dremel with a sanding barrel. I'm so bad at rounding off tips on the Sharpmaker that it's a routine touch-up for me.
I thought the whole thing with serrations WAS to round of the tips! :p

You got me :o

Actually to some degree I don't mind, a slightly rounded tip tends to be stronger and less likely to chip like this and the more I fix it the stronger the tip gets. So long as I can still make holes with it I'm happy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm
Call it whatever you want, but there is absolutely no way I would be okay with a snapped tip. Not being able to even cleanly penetrate a bag of chips would drive me insane. Not that I do a lot of chip bag poking, but just knowing that the tip of my knife was blunted
I'm with you, I like to have a keen point for lots of different types of uses. About 8 years ago I bought a used Manix 2 154CM. I used it to cut up boxes and tape when we moved, and cut open a lot of boxes with it. Cutting the tape to open a packing box wears the tip a lot because you are cutting through the tape but the point rubs on the cardboard underneath. I managed to get it sharp enough for most use and since I use it in my garage as a work knife I didn't worry about it, but I don't want to round off any of my good PM2 models.

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm
I disagree and doubt that there are more than a handful of people in the world who would be happy with a blunt tipped knife.
I can't relate to it but judging by the people who were begging openly for Spyderco to bring out a Wharncliff type blade, apparently not everybody uses the point to penetrate things. Also I've noticed looking at fixed blade knives that many of them have a lot of belly and fairly blunt tips.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 am
I'd appreciate any help as it wasn't cheap and it's really bugging me
Is it an OCD thing? The knife has essentially the same utility and lifespan it had before and there are a lot of people who would love it just the way it is.

:)

Joe
I disagree and doubt that there are more than a handful of people in the world who would be happy with a blunt tipped knife.
I guess Spyderco can just discontinue the Atlantic, the rescue, the assist and the Caribbean sheepsfoot then? :D
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

The tip is the point where the spine meets the edge, blade shape is irrelevant, look at the wharncliffe delicas for example, very fine pointy tips..
This discussion has taken a weird turn, the op’s knife no longer has a tip as the section between the edge and spine has sheared off!
The spine needs to be sanded down to meet the edge with a belt sander and some care not to over heat, especially towards the tip as the blade thins out. Leaving it like that seems like a ridiculous proposition to me but each to their own I guess.