Tatanka

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bkrust777

Tatanka

Post by bkrust777 »

Great product not sure if you guys take suggestions would like to see you bring back the Spyderco tatanka.
Michael Janich

Re: Tatanka

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bkrust777:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bkrust777 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:41 am
Great product not sure if you guys take suggestions would like to see you bring back the Spyderco tatanka.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Concerning "if they take suggestions": One of the great things of this forum is, that Sal (and Kristi and Michael) do "listen" and certainly at least take notice of suggestions.
If such a wish ever comes to life, obviously depends on many factors Spyderco has to calculate. But I think a positive, wide response on this forum will be at least one small step of many in this direction.

As for the Tatanka: Personally I don´t think they´ll bring it back as a regular production knife. Guess the market is just too small for this model.
Perhaps some dealer will take the financial risk one day and bring out a Tatanka Exclusive?? (So for example in a special steel and limited numbers?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

bkrust777 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:41 am
There’s been a bit of talk before and a few other people, including myself, agree!
Some have asked for a smaller version, or a salt version, etc., but it all sounds great to me!
I’d just like to see the design or its concept evolve in some way and continue.
A big strong folder held sturdy by its reinforced “backbone” the power lock. Truly lives up to its namesake!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Accidentally quoted my own comment instead of editing it :o
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

YES please!!!

I hate that I missed this knife. If it gets broght back I would be in for 2.

Im fine with vg10 and the price.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I love my Tatanka. It's my favorite big, sharp, hard use knife. I'd like to see it come back.

I don't think it was disco'd purely due to a lack of interest. I suspect it was a lack of interest at that price point, most likely due to the cost of G-10 in the Japanese models.

I wonder if there's a better scale option for those Seki models. G-10 seems to be too expensive in their knives, and although frn is cheaper, the molds make it cost prohibitive for many models before the demand for them is established.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

To me, the lock was a disappointment. It was supposed to be the strongest ever Spyderco lock and it does not seem to be stronger than their regular back locks in tests, and in fact, probably less so. Too many parts, I guess.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Id carry one
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:52 pm
To me, the lock was a disappointment. It was supposed to be the strongest ever Spyderco lock and it does not seem to be stronger than their regular back locks in tests, and in fact, probably less so. Too many parts, I guess.
I know of the videos of tests by Cold Steel, but I have several concerns with those.
I also find it difficult to believe that Spyderco hasn’t done testing that demonstrated to them why the power lock was more appropriate for larger blades intended for tougher use.

I know you’ve had questions about the lock before becasue I remember the thread from last year. Honestly, if I had a Tatanka I’d be willing to test one out and share the results here, but I’m not sure how I’d go about it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I regret selling mine. It had zero play unlike most lockbacks. It also had a unique action. The "self-close" was a bit different; hard to explain.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like big knives. I regularly carry a Military and a Police4. I sometimes carry a K2 but it is a little big. I found the Tatanka to be unwieldy with a thick blade. It didn’t appeal to me. Seemed like a novelty even though I am sure it is a functional tool for some applications.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

How about a Tatanka fixed blade with FRN grips in S45VN or Magnacut?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ThrottleCable

Post by ThrottleCable »

I love the Tatanka, I bought 3, 1 for a close friend, two for me. For a new one, I'd like a toughness-biased steel, CMP-3V would be my preference. The current beveled scales are also just right, for me, as is the power lock, I prefer backlocks and like the powerful self close the PL has.

I would also like a smaller Tatanka (Tatanka Calf?), maybe 7/8 the size of the current one, or a bit smaller. Sort of bare-hands sized to the current knife's gloved-hand size. But certainly retain the heavy blade stock and sturdy tip of the existing knife. We already have lots of fine-tipped Spydercos in the catalog.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Bearfaced’ has me a bit less certain, but the Tatanka has been on my list of disco’d models for a while (and is currently at the top.)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Yes!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 am
YES please!!!

http://www.capitolfishing.com/spyderco- ... stg10s.htm
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 am
YES please!!!

http://www.capitolfishing.com/spyderco- ... stg10s.htm
I guess I should have said Im fine with the map price. Msrp is a little pricey. Thanks though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."