Maybe Even A Bigger Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Maybe Even A Bigger Hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

As most of you all who know me you also know that I'm a fan of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades. My very first one was one of the older MERLIN model ( late 90s) and I've been hooked on them ever since. The Spyderhawk has been in my top 20 knives of all time ever since I owned my first one in 2003.

Yesterday I was working in our neighborhood "community garden" and I was doing some pruning and weeding and other jobs in the garden using my H-1 Salt Series Spyderhawk as I have done on several occasions over the years. While I was working with the Spyderhawk there were some bigger jobs that I encountered where I was saying to myself "Wouldn't A Bigger Hawkbill Even Be Better Yet For Serious Gardening Chores?".

I really got to thinking about that so I was kind of wondering what you all might think of it. It goes without saying that several of you guys have discovered in recent times that bigger Hawkbill blades like the Spyderhawk make excellent gardening tools. I was thinking of a Hawkbill blade somewhere in the range of being maybe 1 & 1/2 times bigger than our current Spyderhawk blade. I'm really anxious to hear some input on this one. And please give us some reasons why.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Maybe Even A Bigger Hawkbill?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd like a big ole hawkbill. Because why not?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its called a sickle.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know about bigger, but I would like to see a purpose built, or rather unique hawkbill design that uses it's own handle design instead of the Endura handle, that is designed to better enclose a hawkbill blade shape and squeeze in more blade and edge length into a similar length handle. Getting more edge into a handle that's also more compact when closed would make EDC'ing a hawkbill much easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

kobold

Post by kobold »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:59 pm
Its called a sickle.

That is what I want, something like a half-sized sickle, but with a serrated edge and in a good steel. A kama-style blade is also okay. :cool:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:23 pm
I don't know about bigger, but I would like to see a purpose built, or rather unique hawkbill design that uses it's own handle design instead of the Endura handle, that is designed to better enclose a hawkbill blade shape and squeeze in more blade and edge length into a similar length handle. Getting more edge into a handle that's also more compact when closed would make EDC'ing a hawkbill much easier.
This.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'd like to see a slight recurve. Like a Spyderhawk spliced onto the recurve of a Matriarch. A stockie 5" Matriarch.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I think the SuperHawk is about perfect size wise, perhaps go 1 additional inch in blade length....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:23 pm
I like your input on the "handle" aspect of a new Hawkbill. I've been saying for at least 5 years now that it's just flat out time for a premium Hawkbill of some sort with a G-10 handle.

If they did come up with a bigger Hawkbill I would think that a G-10 handle would almost be necessary>> either G-10 or Micarta>> but the expense of the Micarta would probably make it cost prohibitive unfortunately.

I'm just thinking how good of a gardening tool that the SPYDERHAWK has been for me. I just know that a bigger Hawkbill would even be better yet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:21 am
I think the SuperHawk is about perfect size wise, perhaps go 1 additional inch in blade length....
Had they ever would have made the SUPERHAWK available in a Spyderedged blade I truly believe it would still be in the main line up. Only having it available in PE killed it from the start in my humble opinion. Truly Hawkbill blades and serrations go together so well that I would never even consider a Hawkbill model that wasn't available in Spyderedge.

The SUPERHAWK model in a larger scale with TEETH might be very interesting to consider.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I want to see 5-6 inch bladed hawkbill.
jdw

Post by jdw »

A 6 to 8 inch fixed blade would be pretty hard to pass up just for the fun of it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:47 pm
A 6 to 8 inch fixed blade would be pretty hard to pass up just for the fun of it.
I have been calling out for a "Fixed Blade Hawkbill" for at least 8 years now and at some point I'm going to raise the issue again down the road. Especially with all the guys who have discovered that bigger Hawkbill blades make excellent gardening tools it just stands to reason that a really rigid, stout, fixed blade Hawkbill would be great for vine control, pruning, grafting ect.

I've said so many times that if Spyderco would connect with a well known gardening catalog retailer like A.M. Leonard they would sell so many big Hawkbill blades that they would have trouble keeping them in stock. And again a really well made fixed blade Hawkbill would sure being in my box full of gardening tools.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm

I like your input on the "handle" aspect of a new Hawkbill. I've been saying for at last 5 years now that it's just flat out time for a premium Hawkbill of some sort with a G-10 handle.

If they did come up with a bigger Hawkbill I would think that a G-10 handle would almost be necessary>> either G-10 or Micarta>> but the expense of the Micarta would probably make it cost prohibitive unfortunately.

I'm just thinking how good of a gardening tool that the SPYDERHAWK has been for me. I just know that a bigger Hawkbill would even be better yet.
I'd prefer a folder so I could legally carry it, but this.

Kale

Post by Kale »

I'd take larger, but I'd settle for the original Spyderhawk for work on the farm. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on a sub-$200 Spyderhawk over the winter. There's nothing comparable to that currently on the market. So for now I use the Byrd Hawkbill and the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue. The safety tip on the Rescue is actually very nice for harvesting. Putting a safety tip on an extra-large Hawkbill wouldn't be a bad idea (although I imagine that would be polarizing among hawkbill buyers).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kale wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:55 pm
I'd take larger, but I'd settle for the original Spyderhawk for work on the farm. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on a sub-$200 Spyderhawk over the winter. There's nothing comparable to that currently on the market. So for now I use the Byrd Hawkbill and the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue. The safety tip on the Rescue is actually very nice for harvesting. Putting a safety tip on an extra-large Hawkbill wouldn't be a bad idea (although I imagine that would be polarizing among hawkbill buyers).
I could settle for a beefed up version of the Spyderhawk myself. That is if we can't convince Spyderco to take a look at the possibility of a bigger model being profitable for them. A lot can be accomplished with a fully Spyderedged Hawkbill>> especially one the size of the Spyderhawk.

But I still say that a larger bladed unit and even a larger fixed blade would have some advantages. For doing gardening and other labor intensive chores I also believe that at least a really nice G-10 or Titanium handle would make for a more serious tool IMO.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Kale wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Great idea!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I see what you guys are saying and maybe for an emergency type blade for an EMT or first responder that would be great. However for chores I use Hawkbill blades for I find that the extremely sharp pointed end of a Hawkbill blade has a lot of advantages to it.

As an example the blunted end on the Spyderco ASSIST model does have some safety features to it for sure and you could implement something like that on a Hawkbill blade. Probably about 60% of the time that I use a Hawkbill blade I use the sharp point of a Hawkbill blade to either start the job or to open a package with.