Where Balance Point?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Where balance point?

1 or 2
No votes
No votes
No votes
4%
No votes
8%
77%
8%
No votes
11 or 12
4%

Total votes: 26

Bolster

Where Balance Point?

Post by Bolster »

Where do you like the balance point of your knife to be?

In other words, if you balance your knife on your index finger, where is that preferred balance point for you? For ease of reference, refer to the numbers on the attached drawing... and please be careful balancing either point 11 or 12 on your finger... :o
Attachments
BalancePoint.png
jpm2

Re: Where Balance Point?

Post by jpm2 »

It depends mostly on the size of knife for me.
For my pocket knives, 3" and smaller, I like them very slightly handle heavy. I don't like them tipping forward when loosening my grip, like for instance when I rotate the knife or reposition/change grip, or doing detail work.

Larger knives, 5" and up I like blade heavy due to different uses than the smaller ones.

Between 3 and 5 inches doesn't matter, as I rarely use those.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I picked 8, but if there was a "it doesn't really matter" option I would have chosen that.

I can feel a slight difference in hand for #8 knives, they tend to feel lighter than they are, but for the most part, our arms and hands are strong enough to manipulate 2-5oz knives just the same no matter where their balance points are.
vivi

Post by vivi »

7-8 is the best, or further back. I don't like blade heavy knives at all unless its a dedicated chopper.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm
7-8 is the best, or further back. I don't like blade heavy knives at all unless its a dedicated chopper.
But you do like the H1 Pac Salt? ;)

Linerless handle and hollow/sabre grind blade make it noticeable blade heavier than a (linered) ffg Endura
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Depends on the size of the knife, but generally I like the balance point for most Spydies to be on the index finger when held in the 50/50 choil. So about a 7 or 8.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:39 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm
But you do like the H1 Pac Salt? ;)

Linerless handle and hollow/sabre grind blade make it noticeable blade heavier than a (linered) ffg Endura
Not the balance, no. Especially with how I grip that handle. Enduras have a better balance, as do the FFG Pacifics.

In fact the better balance of the LC200N models matters more to me than their FFG cutting ability, because on most the things I cut it doesn't matter much which grind it is.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

This is entirely dependent on the knife, but for one with similar proportions to the image 6-10 is fine, 7-9 is preferred.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I own a Fairbairn Applegate. Boker weighted the handle to keep the balance just behind the guard. Discussions about the F-A knife often reference its "perfect balance," so maybe that's more of an issue to the SD crowd? Dunno. To me, it just feels heavier.
Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:34 am
This is entirely dependent on the knife, but for one with similar proportions to the image 6-10 is fine, 7-9 is preferred.

Explain? What causes your preferred balance point to move forward or back?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For folders I don’t really care. For fixed blades it depends on the size and the intended use. For detail work I like them handle heavy for more control. For larger fixed blades I like them blade heavy so I can use that weight to my advantage.

That said, it isn’t one of the more important criteria for me. Ergonomics, blade shape and blade geometry are what I focus on. I have blue collar hands and I don’t really notice balance one way or the other unless it is at one the extremes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Well, now that the thread has answers, I realize I should have asked specifically about a folding knife in the 3-4" blade range.

Sorry about that.

Yes, makes sense that larger knives have weight foward and smaller knives, weight back.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think it's a mixed bag for folders depending on whether you want lightness in pocket or balance in hand. Just considering the latter, I like balance around 7 or 8, like maybe my G-10 Stretch. Back in the antediluvian days I got a Camillus "survival" knife with a heavy hex nut shaped butt that totally counterbalance the blade, which seemed kinda cool at the time :) but I don't know how practical it would be for bush craft, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.