Will the S45VN CQI to the PM2 find its way to other Golden models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Will the S45VN CQI to the PM2 find its way to other Golden models

Post by zuludelta »

So I just noticed on my local knife retailer's online shop and Spyderco's official site that the PM2's standard steel has been upgraded from S30V to S45VN (though one could conceivably argue that it's more of a lateral move than a straight upgrade, depending on one's priorities when it comes to steel properties). I must have missed the announcement because it was a real surprise to me.

Does anybody know if this steel change will eventually be applied to the other Golden models that currently use S30V as the standard production steel (i.e., Para 3, Native 5, Manix 2, Yojimbo 2, Li'l Native, Native Chief, etc.)?
Henry_P

Re: Will the S45VN CQI to the PM2 find its way to other Golden models

Post by Henry_P »

It’s already coming to the para 3 according to the 2021 catalog. I’m unsure if they have said anything else about other models.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

I just received a Para 3,G-10 from DLT yesterday. Its steel is S45VM which matches my month old Paramilitary 2 from Blade HQ. Each was the last in stock, but it appears to be the next iteration. Those who have any stock, mainly Amazon/Ebay are still only offering the S30.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Availability and costs will influence, maybe even rule how many models will be switched over from S30V to S45VN.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm
It’s already coming to the para 3 according to the 2021 catalog. I’m unsure if they have said anything else about other models.
Interesting. I wonder what HRC range these will be? From my understanding, S45VN only really distinguishes itself from S35VN with regards to wear resistance once you get to around 61 to 62 HRC.
jdw

Post by jdw »

For me a better question is when will we see a S45VN Military because I do believe it will happen.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I imagine in most use cases casual users may not notice a significant difference in performance, but I'd love to see S45VN eventually supplant S30V in the Yojimbo 2... I need a reason to buy another one! :D (even though the S30V version is serving me perfectly fine as my primary work knife)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I miss S35VN already...
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

I've been trying to find one of the new s45vn pm2 for a few months now, so far only seen 1 camo/satin on eBay and it sold quickly, granted any pm2 right now is a challenge.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

notfixingit wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm
I've been trying to find one of the new s45vn pm2 for a few months now, so far only seen 1 camo/satin on eBay and it sold quickly, granted any pm2 right now is a challenge.
Blades Canada (warriorsandwonders.com) has the plain edge model available in S45VN.

I'd like to eventually get one but I'm in no particular hurry... I always like to wait a bit before getting a Spyderco in a new production steel—gives the factory time to address user feedback and really dial in the optimum heat treat.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:23 pm
notfixingit wrote:
Blades Canada (warriorsandwonders.com) has the plain edge model available in S45VN.

I'd like to eventually get one but I'm in no particular hurry... I always like to wait a bit before getting a Spyderco in a new production steel—gives the factory time to address user feedback and really dial in the optimum heat treat.

I believe that was what the S45VN "Sprint Run" with the green diamond arc G10 was for. They have also done a S45VN mule too. I think it would be safe to say that they have it dialed in pretty well by now. I don't think you would have any issues with a new PM2.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

notfixingit wrote:
Which version are you looking for?
•• Beau
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:33 pm
I miss S35VN already...
Well if S45VN is significantly more corrosion resistant than S30V while losing a little edge retention, it should be a wash or a net benefit. It does seem like the folks who thought S30V was too chippy would be more interested in S35VN than S45VN.
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

I’ve just purchased a PM2 Black G-10 from Blade HQ, and a Para3 Black G-10 from DLT. Each is a plain blade in S45VN. The PM2 is 3 weeks old and the Para3 just arrived yesterday afternoon. I would go to each site and click on “Notify me when in stock”.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

I wouldn't mind getting S45VN PM2 as my first, but I want to wait for the Cru-Wear Micarta version instead I think.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bob_Patterson, Hullk,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Zuludelta,

There are so many new steels popping up lately that any plans that might have been made might be adjusted.

sal
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Thanks Sal
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Hi Bob_Patterson, Hullk,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Zuludelta,

There are so many new steels popping up lately that any plans that might have been made might be adjusted.

sal
Are you by any chance referring to Magnacut in particular?
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:37 am
notfixingit wrote:
Which version are you looking for?
Black DLC is the main one, but I'd probably take a camo DLC too and just swap the scales.

I have the Cruwear/Micarta on order, although I wish they would have done that on DLC and a Maxament that should be here Thursday
Last edited by notfixingit on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Bob_Patterson wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am
I’ve just purchased a PM2 Black G-10 from Blade HQ, and a Para3 Black G-10 from DLT. Each is a plain blade in S45VN. The PM2 is 3 weeks old and the Para3 just arrived yesterday afternoon. I would go to each site and click on “Notify me when in stock”.
Yep, I'm signed up on a few sites, just no luck, at least on DLC versions which is what I'm targeting

- Tom aka NotFixingIT