Tool Steel Regular Production Folder Option

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Tool Steel Regular Production Folder Option

Post by RamZar »

Many of the Japanese made regular production Lightweight folder models now give you a choice of VG-10 or S30V stainless steels or K390 tool steel: Ladybug, Manbug, Dragonfly2, Delica4, Endela, Endura4, Police4, etc.

How about the same for the US made regular production folders where only a stainless steel (S30V or S45VN) option is available now? Should the tool steel option be K390 or CRU-WEAR or something else? Lil’ Native, Native5, Manix2, Para3, Shaman, Native Chief, Military, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SG89

Re: Tool Steel Regular Production Folder Option

Post by SG89 »

Sounds good to me. Perhaps something cheaper than Maxamet?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 pm
Many of the Japanese made regular production Lightweight folder models now give you a choice of VG-10 or S30V stainless steels or K390 tool steel: Ladybug, Manbug, Dragonfly2, Delica4, Endela, Endura4, Police4, etc.

How about the same for the US made regular production folders where only a stainless steel (S30V or S45VN) option is available now? Should the tool steel option be K390 or CRU-WEAR or something else? Lil’ Native, Native5, Manix2, Para3, Shaman, Native Chief, Military, etc.
I could definitely get behind Cru-wear since the PM2 will already have it in normal production. The only Cru-wear I have is in a Manix 2 and I love it. I'm not against K390 just haven't tried it yet.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ParaMilitary2 with S45VN & G-10 is $154.70 and with Maxamet & G-10 it’s $227.50. Something more affordable for a tool steel option would be better. That’s why the upcoming regular production PM2 with Cru-Wear & Brown Micarta for $171.50 should be a big winner pending the look and feel of the Brown Micarta.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

4v for the win!
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I do love maxamet but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more regular production tool steels. K390, Vanadis 8, CruWear, and 4V are all steels I would like to see more of.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

K390 everything (make them regular production)

Paramilitary range/ Manix/ The native range. - All the Golden foundational models.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I don't have experience with anything else than Rex45 (and there it is way too short to give any meaning full feedback), but based on what I read I would go with k390 and or Cruwear:

Outpost76 did a great video on this and he has loads of experience in everyday use (that matters a lot in my book):

https://youtu.be/a-YPAEXxkbY
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

As much as I’d want it to be Rex45, I also think Cruwear may be a steel that would satisfy more people, simply because so many of Golden’s models just got sprints with the former.
I plan on getting that pm2 so...
Maxamet is an attractive option that already exists in 5 models, however, so this may be a tough sell right now.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

K390 everything
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm not on the tool steel bandwagon (never tried any), but I wonder if Magnacut will change the equation. With a tool steel, you give up stain resistance for other traits you like more (toughness, strength, ease of sharpening, etc.). But Magnacut (from what I understand) can offer many of the traits of CruWear and 4V, but with stain resistance. Wouldn't Magnacut make for a better choice than a tool steel?

Couple of caveats... One, we like what we like. Sometimes being "better" on paper doesn't translate well to how you like, use, and sharpen a particular steel. Two, Magnacut can't compete with K390 or Maxamet when it comes to holding an edge. Three, Magnacut is brand new and has a lot of hype. I bet supplies will be constrained for some time. That means we probably won't see Magnacut come to all our favorite models right away. Traditional tool steels are more readily available.
Last edited by p_atrick on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

K390 is quite the steel for a production knife, that's for sure! There's probably people all over the world walking around with one of those Seki's in their pockets with no idea what the steel in their pocket consists of or is capable of :p

I'd be happy to see it added to the Golden lineup.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cruwear is most likely given the new Crucarta PM2, but I'd kill for K390 with Green Canvas Micarta scales as a regular production option.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

K390. The rest make me yawn.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

According to this post by Phil Wilson, it would be difficult to distinguish between 10V and K390. So, I wonder if there is some magical thinking going on about K390? My personal choice is still Cruwear as I prefer a more balanced steel.

Maybe 10V for US made knives to avoid overseas shipping of bulk steel, and K390 for Japanese (shipping is unavoidable here unless there is a Japanese equivalent) or Italian made knives?
Phil Wilson wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 pm
I have been using K390 from the start ever since it was introduced by Bohler and I got some small samples to try. A bit of history is that it is the European version of CPM 10V but not the exact chemistry (about 1% less V plus small addition of a few others). That is because the CPM 10V chemistry was protected by patent at the time. If you check the K390 data sheet it claims that the bit less V gives K 390 a little boost in impact toughness. It also can be heat treated at a lower temp. than 10v. So it is pretty much the same as the A11 grade but different in a few small details. It is hard to tell the difference between CPM 10v and BU K390 in the real world in my experience. I like both grades and they are the base line (along with Vanadius 10 and K294) from which I measure wear resistance. The 5 chrome is there to make them all air hardening among other things and does not contribute much to corrosion resistance. It is going to make a killer knife in the new offering and be another classic. Phil
From this thread: viewtopic.php?t=72669
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

There is no magical thinking about k390, just that it is apparently a great steel and Seki Spyderco puts a fantastic HT on it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would be happy to try most suggestions (4V, Cruwear, k390), since I don't have any yet and I like Golden models.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Cruwear or M4 all the things! (And HAP40 for Seki models)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Regular production CruWear would probably sell pretty well. Not sure if regular production M4 would have the same splash. K390 would, though, if it didn't raise the price too much when compared to 10v. And it would have the advantage of consistent branding (being the same as the Seki K390 models).
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

I'd say a steel with a balance of toughness and edge retention. For that, it seems two of the better options are 10V and Vanadis 8.
In my book Knife Engineering, and in my previous article on recommended steel choices, I put CPM-10V as the recommendation for high alloy non-stainless with high edge retention. However, that was before I had completed toughness experiments with Vanadis 8. Because of its superior toughness with only a small decrease in edge retention, Vanadis 8 probably takes that spot for me now.
That quote is from Larrin here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/12/07/ ... n-cpm-10v/. He goes on to note the only downside is the lack of wide availability of Vanadis 8 (which would likely drive up the price of the Spyderco line if made out of it). The advantage is, if Spyderco were to do a wide run in Vanadis 8, that might increase attention to the steel and eventually drive the price down. Alternatively, from Larrin's toughness/edge retention charts, it seems M4 and 4V are other good all-around steels.