Tool Steel Regular Production Folder Option

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: Tool Steel Regular Production Folder Option

Post by awa54 »

Team Sick wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm
K390 PM 2 (and) 3 or Shaman would be cool! That's all I have to say.

It is! BBS did them as an exclusive and as an owner of one of the Para 3s, I have to say that I fully support either additional runs of the BBS versions, or a permanent addition to the regular lineup, with K390 blue scales (G10 please)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 pm
Team Sick wrote:

It is! BBS did them as an exclusive and as an owner of one of the Para 3s, I have to say that I fully support either additional runs of the BBS versions, or a permanent addition to the regular lineup, with K390 blue scales (G10 please)
Whoa! We need to add a Manix 2 to that list and hurry up and get them established before Magnacut debuts :D (which may revolutionize pocketknives as we know them ;) ) (I know it's already debuted to knife knuts, but not to the whole world.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DougC-3 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am
awa54 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 pm
Team Sick wrote:

Whoa! We need to add a Manix 2 to that list and hurry up and get them established before Magnacut debuts :D (which may revolutionize pocketknives as we know them ;) ) (I know it's already debuted to knife knuts, but not to the whole world.)
My Manix collection would certainly go up if K390 happens! I've trimmed it from 6 to 3 now...only tool steels remain :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Most of the US made Spyderco G-10 models had S30V for the longest time. Native5 was the exception for quite a while with S35VN and then a few years ago it also became S30V. Then, recently a move from S30V to S45VN or SPY27. If these models move to MagnaCut it may obviate the need for a tool steel option. However, that may take a few years. In the meantime, should these US made Spyderco G-10 models which are S30V all move to S45VN or SPY27?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 pm
Most of the US made Spyderco G-10 models had S30V for the longest time. Native5 was the exception for quite a while with S35VN and then a few years ago it also became S30V. Then, recently a move from S30V to S45VN or SPY27. If these models move to MagnaCut it may obviate the need for a tool steel option. However, that may take a few years. In the meantime, should these US made Spyderco G-10 models which are S30V all move to S45VN or SPY27?
Spy27 for sure. It'd both set Spyderco apart while being somewhat cost efficient. Just depends on supply I guess.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have a pretty strong preference towards tool steels whenever I can get my hands on 'em... I think from a steel choice perspective I would break down what I'd wish upon a star for...

My most preferred tool steels would 4V, Rex45 or K390

Given that we're seeing K390 in so many models *AND* the fact that it's gone through the SE testing, it seems like it might be the best to put in models that SE will be offered (IMO should be all) ;)

From a model perspective in order of *WANT* I think my top 5 would be: Manix2, Shaman, Chief, Para3, PM2

I really hope this thread gets some serious support & comes to pass in some way/shape/form....

:D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JMM wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:35 pm
I have a pretty strong preference towards tool steels whenever I can get my hands on 'em... I think from a steel choice perspective I would break down what I'd wish upon a star for...

Given that we're seeing K390 in so many models *AND* the fact that it's gone through the SE testing, it seems like it might be the best to put in models that SE will be offered (IMO should be all) ;)

From a model perspective in order of *WANT* I think my top 5 would be: Manix2, Shaman, Chief, Para3, PM2

I really hope this thread gets some serious support & comes to pass in some way/shape/form....

I really think we're best friends! Those are my 3 favorite steels, and the first 3 models you listed are my favorites as well (Chief is fairly new to me, about a month of owning them...but I already know it's a favorite!)

-Rick
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 pm
JMM wrote:

I really think we're best friends! Those are my 3 favorite steels, and the first 3 models you listed are my favorites as well (Chief is fairly new to me, about a month of owning them...but I already know it's a favorite!)
Do either of ya'll have or have used m4? For me, it falls between 4v and rex45, (closer to rex45).
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 pm
Do either of ya'll have or have used m4? For me, it falls between 4v and rex45, (closer to rex45).
Yes sir, I've had the BHQ Para 3 for a few years, had a GB2 for a while and recently got the BHQ Chief. I have no problem with M4! It's up there as well for me, just doesn't seem to have the edge holding qualities quite as high as the others in my experience. Plenty tough enough, and certainly a pleasure to sharpen and reprofile. Sadly it seems to be getting phased out, besides those BHQ exclusives though. Definitely a top notch steel in my book as well.

-Rick
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 pm
JMM wrote:

:)

Great minds and all that....

;)