Q-Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Q-Ball

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Nice Josh!
Does it feel sturdy? Can you use one finger to disengage?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Nice Josh!
With better material it could be as sturdy as the factory Manix 2 cages. The resin I'm using still has some flexibility after curing. I could get it with one finger but sometimes it would flex and bind up. I'm already on v4 so hopefully this one will be better. V2&3 were off by .5mm and the knife wouldn't open.

The resin ones are cool to play with but getting it casted in bronze or metal 3d printed would be my end goal.

Edit: Well it's the next day and I finally got it right on 8th version. I can disengage the lock with one finger now and it will drop shut with ease. I need to figure out bronze casting to make it more reliable. I haven't broken one in use yet but I'm sure it'll happen. Oh I also dyed it black and I'm going to do one in red too.
Attachments
IMG_20210620_155051.jpg
araneae

Post by araneae »

This is a model that deserves a second chance. Eric, are you listening?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cloudpath

Post by Cloudpath »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Nice Josh!
With better material it could be as sturdy as the factory Manix 2 cages. The resin I'm using still has some flexibility after curing. I could get it with one finger but sometimes it would flex and bind up. I'm already on v4 so hopefully this one will be better. V2&3 were off by .5mm and the knife wouldn't open.

The resin ones are cool to play with but getting it casted in bronze or metal 3d printed would be my end goal.

Edit: Well it's the next day and I finally got it right on 8th version. I can disengage the lock with one finger now and it will drop shut with ease. I need to figure out bronze casting to make it more reliable. I haven't broken one in use yet but I'm sure it'll happen. Oh I also dyed it black and I'm going to do one in red too.
Any new update on this? Would you be willing to do this mod for a q-ball owner if they sent their knife to you for a fee?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cloudpath,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Cloudpath

Post by Cloudpath »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Hi Cloudpath,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, Sal :smlling-eyes
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I so want this model to have a 2.0 version with a cbbl lock. I have arthritis starting in my dominant thumb so the current iteration (yes I know it's discontinued) just doesn't work for me. The rest of the design is just sooooo good though! Please please do a new and improved version!!
Cloudpath

Post by Cloudpath »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:49 pm
I so want this model to have a 2.0 version with a cbbl lock. I have arthritis starting in my dominant thumb so the current iteration (yes I know it's discontinued) just doesn't work for me. The rest of the design is just sooooo good though! Please please do a new and improved version!!
This would be amazing! Any update on if this is a possibility, Sal?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 am
I never had a problem with the ball bearing lock until the Q-ball. Absolutely the worst lock stick I have ever encountered on a knife.
I have to agree . I had to literally use every bit of force I could to pull back the ball , extremely disappointing. I sent mine in when it came back there was little change so I gave up and the knife went bye bye . Sad it was a very nice knife but was terribly flawed . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

On mine I literally have to stick a screwdriver into the opening in front of the ball and pry it back to disengage the lock. Once I get it unstuck, I can pull it back just fine. It isn't a matter of not being able to grip the ball, that sucker wedges in place. I really wanted to like the knife, but that makes it pretty unlikeable.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Cloudpath wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Any new update on this? Would you be willing to do this mod for a q-ball owner if they sent their knife to you for a fee?
The first few designs broke after little use but the current one seems promising. It's only seen light use over the last few weeks and hasn't broke yet, even surviving many one finger unlocking's. There's some changes I would like to make to try and eliminate the point of failure that killed the first two. The piece that goes into the spring is very weak when made from the normal filaments and resins. If it was cast in bronze or machined in a suitable metal I'm sure it would work just fine. I'm going to try a hybrid approach using the original metal pin.
Attachments
InkedgguYqUH (2).jpg
20211218_170753_2.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hats off to you ! I really enjoy watching this project unfold . Please keep us updated in the future . Regards MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cool
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This is the current design. I haven't tested it because I'm waiting until the one in use breaks. This has only minor cosmetic changes compared to the one I'm using. The model has supports for 3d printing already, I just did them in Fusion. Usually that's done using a different program but I had better luck with the prints doing it this way.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5187245
Attachments
qballcage v7.png
qballcage v7b.png
qballcage v7c.png
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

That is very impressive ! I like your determination to correct this flaw . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a pair of Q-Balls, a couple Dodos, and used to have a D'Allara (3D handle older gen) and Phoenix.

They're all somewhat difficult for me to close. It's not impossible, the angles that I have to bend my fingers at to close it one handed make my fingers hurt after about 10 closings. Two handed closing is a little easier. I generally only carry them if I'm confident that I won't have to do a lot of cutting. For a couple of years, I would carry my CF Dodo to the gym, it feels record breakingly light.

Your ideas seem very nice. I would buy one to try out, but I assume you have to take the knife apart.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cloudpath

Post by Cloudpath »

Keep us updated on your progress/testing/durability, Josh. Maybe Sal will tap you for a new Q-ball 2 design? Or limited run of Q-ball incorporating your modification!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Trying out the new design now, definitely grippier with the groves. Made some small changes.
Attachments
20220216_182058_2.jpg
20220216_182118_2.jpg
qballcage v8.png
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This has become one of favorite threads . Thank you sharing . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:48 pm
Trying out the new design now, definitely grippier with the groves. Made some small changes.
I’m really hoping you are going to be making some of these to sell…

If the Qball’s flaw can be fixed…
It’s going to be getting some serious pocket time. The Qball is such a great design and it’s quite versatile. It would be great in the warehouse and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a SD blade.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”