Q-Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Q-Ball

Post by Josh Crutchley »

20210617_211614(1).jpg
I just acquired the Q-Ball 2 days ago so I'm still getting a feel for it. This is the first Vg-10 knife I've used or owned and so far I like it. It wasn't that sharp when I got it but after a few minutes with 400/800 Venev OCB and 1 micron diamond paste it was tree topping sharp. It's also the first cage-less BB lock I've handled and it's a lot harder to use than I thought it would be. I hear good things about the Dodo all the time and it uses the same lock right? Well the ball is the same but everything else is different plus the Q-ball has a 0.20" thinner blade. Spyderco compensated for the thinner blade stock by using liners with cutouts for the springs. I think the Dodo might have some material removed for spring clearance but that is right out of the G10 scale because it doesn't have liners. This is a diagram to illustrate the difference with the Q-ball being on top.
bbl.png
The added space around the ball lets you get a better grip, well that's what I imagine would happen as I've never actually handled a Dodo.

The Dodo has more room around the lock cutout so the larger chamfer doesn't interfere with anything. The Q-ball has the cutout very close to the edge of the scale and just as close to a screw. The larger chamfer isn't possible using the Q-balls current design. The Dodo is on top this time.
1623890781711.png
There's one more knife with a cage-less Bbl and that's the D'Allara. I can only guess by looking at pictures but it looks like it also has the cutout close to the edge. It looks like the scales are thinner and there's a depression in front of the cutout possibly serving the same purpose as the chamfer.
Spydiewiki_wtc_inlay.jpg
I'm trying to figure out how to modify it without making any part of the scales to thin. I would like to get rid of some excess weight by ditching the liners and trimming down the back spacer/lock bar. In this picture you can see how the back spacer is one solid piece of steel.
20210617_034432_compress19.jpg
No matter what I choose to do this knife is definitely a keeper!
VooDooChild

Re: Q-Ball

Post by VooDooChild »

Im pretty sure the D'Allara 3 is the same as the q-ball with the exception of the plunger.

Anyways it got easier to disengage once the spring broke in.

With that said its still not great. Not sure I could one hand unlock it with slippery hands.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The plunger is shorter and plastic and the ball is bigger on the D'Allara 3 when comparing it to the Q Ball. The ball actually looks like it's about even with the outside edges of the scales on the D'Allara 3. It sits slightly into the scales on the Q Ball. The scales are also slightly more chamfered around the lock cutout on the Q Ball. Looking at them side by side, I'm not sure there's much that can be easily done to give better access to the lock on the Q Ball. It would almost need thinner liners or to somehow be made linerless. But that would require some serious engineering.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've got issues with the naked ball lock. Never found it easy to use. CBBL is vastly superior in my opinion.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I never had a problem with the ball bearing lock until the Q-ball. Absolutely the worst lock stick I have ever encountered on a knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t have a Q-Ball, but I do have a D’Allara3.

Disengaging its lock is a piece of work, no doubt.

My problem is not overcoming lock-stick but getting purchase. I’m getting better at it, because it’s so worth the effort.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The QBall is really great ergonomically and I like the stubby, functional Wharncliffe blade a lot. The lock though.. for a knife that could so easily excel as a work/utility knife, adding one of the more difficult locks to disengage never made much sense to me. I just couldn't warm up to the QBall, didn't end up carrying it very often, and eventually, it became one of the very few Spydies that I ever sold. Not a bad knife, just not for me..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:38 am
The QBall is really great ergonomically and I like the stubby, functional Wharncliffe blade a lot. The lock though.. for a knife that could so easily excel as a work/utility knife, adding one of the more difficult locks to disengage never made much sense to me. I just couldn't warm up to the QBall, didn't end up carrying it very often, and eventually, it became one of the very few Spydies that I ever sold. Not a bad knife, just not for me..
Q-Ball 2, should it ever be made, would make a great knife with a caged ball bearing lock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 am
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:38 am
Q-Ball 2, should it ever be made, would make a great knife with a caged ball bearing lock.
I think that would be a game changer for the model.. great idea!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I have a Q-Ball and the D'Allara 3, and the Q's always been easier to unlock for me on my examples. A Manix 2 cage doesn't look as nice, but is a lot easier to manipulate than either.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'm surprised the Q-ball is the newest design and they made it harder to open. I agree a caged version would be nice upgrade along with some tool steel.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I've always wondered if changing the spring on a Q-Ball (like the Manix 2) would make it more easier to open?

I've always wanted to try one and was especially tempted when one of the stores from Amazon offered this for a good price, but I've always been wary of the stiff lock.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:04 pm
I've always wondered if changing the spring on a Q-Ball (like the Manix 2) would make it more easier to open?

I've always wanted to try one and was especially tempted when one of the stores from Amazon offered this for a good price, but I've always been wary of the stiff lock.
I'll try it and let you know.

Edit: The problem still seems to be getting grip even with a weaker spring.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The spring on mine is fine, but just like Josh I have trouble gripping the little low friction ceramic ball. A machined rod would work as well, but it might look to close to a Benchmade. It would also cost more to produce.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:04 pm

I'll try it and let you know.

Edit: The problem still seems to be getting grip even with a weaker spring.

Thank you for the confirmation. I guess this is more of a design issue that cannot be resolved with just a simple parts replacement.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm

Thank you for the confirmation. I guess this is more of a design issue that cannot be resolved with just a simple parts replacement.
I'm working on a 3d printed ball cage right now, hopefully it works.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Q Ball is basically the wharncliffe Native I've hoped for, but to echo what has already been said, the lock is more difficult to operate than it should be.

This was my attempt to make it easier to operate: a piece of paracord through the lock in front of the ball with a knot on each side. It's much easier to use, but you have to be mindful of how you're pulling on the cord as it could slip down and hinder the lockup.

It's a great design with a difficult lock, IMO. A CBBL would have been perfect.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

20210619_210244(1).jpg
Well here's the first attempt, it works good but I want it to be more oval than round. I'm in the process of printing an oval one.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Instead of clipping spring loops, use longer thinner gauge spring wire. At least that's what we do when lightening triggers on comp guns. Smoother pull and safer.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Instead of clipping spring loops, use longer thinner gauge spring wire. At least that's what we do when lightening triggers on comp guns. Smoother pull and safer.
I've already tested a lighter spring and it didn't help. It's the fact it uses a smooth ceramic ball. I just made a cage for it that seems to work a lot better than without one.