A tale of 2 Natives...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

A tale of 2 Natives...

Post by SG89 »

Took the day off work to spend time with my son and get the pool ready. Mailman delivered 2 Natives I had in mind to swap. My son sat next to me as the swap began.
The brown scaled native aka OIR native gave me trouble with the pivot screw being stuck initially. Nothing a little Wiha and Knipex couldn't fix. My son helped too by saying "Mommy you're not supposed to say that word" when the stuck red loctite was giving me trouble. :p Judging by the date on the blade and red threads this was from the dreaded red loctite period of spydie history... A time I remember well. A time I learned about stripping screws on a pm2 and replacing them myself, being too proud to ask for help. For this particular knife though, I definitely understand the use of red loctite, afterall it's intended for the desert.
After I got the pivot screw unstuck, (without damage I may add (past failures give you knowledge to use in the present)) I noticed a few QC differences I thought I'd share.
First, the SPY27 native has a satin blade finish but uses a non-satin clip that I would call stonewashed/almost blued in appearance. The OIR native appears to have a stonewashed blade and satin clip.
The OIR native uses T6 body screws and the Spy27 native uses T8 body screws. Also the Spy27 uses clear threadlocker (thank you spyderco).
Can someone tell me what the A means on the blade date code?
viewtopic.php?t=82509
:spyder:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Re: A tale of 2 Natives...

Post by ladybug93 »

nice swap!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I like that brown. Good swap!
Didn't realize the CQI on the torx screws.
I've been wanting another Native since giving my CE S35VN to my wife a few years ago. I'll likely get a salt this time, though.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I always like a good swap! Like when people aren't afraid to tinker. Well done SG...hopefully your lil guy doesn't pick up those choice words you were throwing around :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Nice job on two nice knives.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like that you taught your son, by example at least, while you did the swap and that he reminded you of something you taught him earlier.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just now getting the pool ready?

We swam at our friend's house last weekend. The water was perfect temp. Won't be long and it'll almost be too warm

I need to get one of those OIR Natives
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:15 pm

We swam at our friend's house last weekend. The water was perfect temp. Won't be long and it'll almost be too warm

I've been looking for a pool since last year and 2 weeks ago it finally came back in stock. Just got the pool assembled last weekend (above ground). Took a few days for it to fill up. Swam in it this evening and the temp was perfect like you say. I have never owned a pool before so this is all new to me. It was definitely not fun digging up the yard to make it level and then assembling the pool in this Texas heatwave! :eek:
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:15 pm

I've been looking for a pool since last year and 2 weeks ago it finally came back in stock. Just got the pool assembled last weekend (above ground). Took a few days for it to fill up. Swam in it this evening and the temp was perfect like you say. I have never owned a pool before so this is all new to me. It was definitely not fun digging up the yard to make it level and then assembling the pool in this Texas heatwave! :eek:
Good deal! I did that for my kids several years ago. They were in total bliss for about two weeks until the whole thing turned green and we finally took it down. Sad day haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice swap! I really like the newer sandblasted Native clips.. My Rex 45 LW has it as well as the Spy27.. I hope this is the standard going forward with the Native, I prefer them to the satin clips..

Hah some of my best vocabulary lessons as a child were helping my dad with projects around the house..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 pm
I always like a good swap! Like when people aren't afraid to tinker. Well done SG...hopefully your lil guy doesn't pick up those choice words you were throwing around :p
The only thing funnier than kids swearing is old people swearing! :p :D
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
This is very true! Old folks crack me up...besides when their driving!

SG...before you know it, he's going to be start doing what my 9 year old step daughter does...if you say a bad word and she wants to know what it is and we tell her not to worry about it, or just not to say it...she comes back with "you can just tell me or I'll Google it" :eek: :eek:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
This is very true! Old folks crack me up...besides when their driving!

SG...before you know it, he's going to be start doing what my 9 year old step daughter does...if you say a bad word and she wants to know what it is and we tell her not to worry about it, or just not to say it...she comes back with "you can just tell me or I'll Google it" :eek: :eek:
:eek:
I'll just say to the kid "ok, go ahead... Search for it on google images and tell me how horrified you are after" lol :D
Spydergirl88
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Can someone tell me what the A means on the blade date code?
I wonder if the Spyderco factory runs more than one shift? A=1st shift, B=2nd shift, etc.

I’ve worked with woven Kevlar cloth; it was yellow in color. The manufacturer used a “runner” thread along the edge, (red, blue, or green,) to indicate on what shift the cloth was woven. They could then tell when any flaws occurred, check other stock, and talk to their people on that shift about it. (CQI)

Has anyone seen any other letters?