Would you buy a Tanto Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yea
31%
Nay
69%

Total votes: 72

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Why isn't there one? Will they make one? I think most people want one.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Matus

Re: Would you buy a Tanto Para 3?

Post by Matus »

Would be a fun knife, but given how short the blade is not very usable. I would pass I guess.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

• Why isn't there one?

The model is still relatively new compared to the PM2, which just recently got a tanto version. Chances are Spyderco has already considered putting new blade shapes on the Para 3, it just doesn't happen overnight.

• Will they make one?

I can't say for sure but probably.

• Most people want one.

I haven't seen much desire expressed for one but it's a popular model and I would expect it to sell similar to the PM2 Tanto.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen anybody requesting a tanto Para 3. I also think it would be an extremely goofey looking knife. Too short of a blade imo to create a tanto.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted Nay, but mostly because I'm just not interested in the Para 3 in general.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
archangel

Post by archangel »

Another Nay, cause I don't think that the original blade designs should be changed to something completely different whatsoever. If Sal and/or Eric make slight "evolutionary" adjustments, that's ok! But the curves and lines should be kept in their essence. I won't buy no SSS either. A XLSSS I might buy just to see how a larger Stretch works for me. But Tanto PM2 or TPara3 - nope, not interested.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Yes, because I like Para3s. Given how popular the PM2 tanto is, I do believe a Para3 tanto is being considered by the company. If anything else, I would like it to become a reality if only to see how would Spyderco engineer the blade shape into such a compact knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Voted no because the model itself doesn't work for me so blade variants wouldn't make a difference.

I'd be on board with a tanto Dragonfly though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:42 am
Yes, because I like Para3s. Given how popular the PM2 tanto is, I do believe a Para3 tanto is being considered by the company. If anything else, I would like it to become a reality if only to see how would Spyderco engineer the blade shape into such a compact knife.
I think they're cleaver enough to do it.
"Some call me...Tim?"
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I think they'll do it eventually. Someone on the Bladeshow 2021 thread said they saw a Lil' Native Tanto at the Spyderco booth.

I photoshopped this para 3 tanto in another thread. I would prefer a fixed blade or Military in this blade shape, but I'd pick up a Para 3 just to try it in a shorter configuration. I'm a big fan of my PM2 tanto.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 am
I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen anybody requesting a tanto Para 3. I also think it would be an extremely goofey looking knife. Too short of a blade imo to create a tanto.
Many people already consider a regular para 3 to be a goofy looking knife.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

eRoc wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 am
I think they'll do it eventually. Someone on the Bladeshow 2021 thread said they saw a Lil' Native Tanto at the Spyderco booth.

I photoshopped this para 3 tanto in another thread. I would prefer a fixed blade or Military in this blade shape, but I'd pick up a Para 3 just to try it in a shorter configuration. I'm a big fan of my PM2 tanto.
Nice.
"Some call me...Tim?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:16 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 am
Many people already consider a regular para 3 to be a goofy looking knife.
This is also true. It's a so-so model for me, I have a couple. I just don't like the blade to handle ratio on it. I'm Para 3'd out!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I voted nay because I have no interest in Tanto blades
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I don't mind the Tanto blade shape.. it can be especially useful as a work/beater knife and excels at piercing and being an impromptu scraper.. actually, I kind of really like tantos in theory haha. But.. every time I use my Tanto PM2, I'm reminded that I prefer a little bit of belly. I think a tanto para 3 may be a good choice for some.. but, based on my experience with the tanto PM2, I don't find myself compelled to buy one.. Voted nay.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Matus

Post by Matus »

Nice job on the photoshop sketch. But I can not help myself, but that grind makes litte sense to me (same for the PM2). With such a thick stock the hollow grind should have been wider - but that would likely collide with the blade profile. It looks cool, but it kinda ends there for me.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
AFG08

Post by AFG08 »

I’m very fond of the Para 3 but would not be interested in a Tanto blade
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I love the para 3, it is my favorite Spyderco knife. However, I don’t think I would be interested in a tanto blade. First, I had the tanto PM2 and I didn’t really care for it. The blade was too thick and it would constantly rub on the G10 when opening and closing. Also I don’t really find the blade shape to be all that useful. It looks cool for sure but I prefer the standard blade for the kind of cutting tasks I do.

I’d rather see more handle materials like micarta or carbon fiber patterns than a different blade shape.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
archangel

Post by archangel »

I think I like the idea of a small sturdy fixed tanto with a Spydiehole.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
rashman

Post by rashman »

i voted no. when the bhq tanto pm2 dropped, i scooped one up. didn’t like it to begin with, in fact i sent it back to spyderco because i thought it was dull. spyderco called me! we had an awesome phone conversation about what blades i liked and how this tanto was very thick behind the edge and different that what i was accustomed too.

got it back, started using it - but it didn’t start to shine until i started to put my own edge on it. it has turned into one of my favorites and kicked another pm2 out of the collection.

with the tanto having in effect two edges - the hollow straight and the flat ground tip, i think a para3 would not have enough straight edge for the length of cuts for my daily use. there are many times when i find the pm2 tanto a bit short.
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie