Pacific Salt 2 LC200N Available?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
K1500

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N Available?

Post by K1500 »

Hi all, I’ve been hankering after a PE Pacific Salt 2 for quite a while. I just lost my endura so this has added a tad bit of urgency to the hunt. The Pac Salt 2 is out of stock/pre order/delayed everywhere I have looked. Anyone know if/when this model will become available again? I assume Spyderco makes things in runs and this one is just overdue. Thanks in advance!
FK

Re: Pacific Salt 2 LC200N Available?

Post by FK »

I just purchased a SE from Rivers Edge last week.
Excellent design with comfortable Endura 4 scales.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

That's certainly a comprehensive list to satisfy the OP. When I was trying to source a PE to send my wife the link around my birthday a month or so ago, many of those places and all my usuals were out of stock. Pure Blades had them in stock and came through in time for my birthday though.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I don’t know if I’m allowed to mention their name here (not familiar with vendor rules), but I’ll say the largest and best gear supplier in Canada has both SE and PE Pacific Salt 2 LC200N options.
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Holy cow, my Google skills are weak. Thanks for the help. I swear I looked a few days back and everywhere was out of stock of the plain edge knife. Thanks!
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Ok, I’ve got a new PE Pacific Salt 2 and a set of diamond rods for the Sharpmaker inbound. I still have no idea why I didn’t turn up any in stock sites. Thanks again to everyone who took the time out of their day to post and get me fixed up!
K1500

Post by K1500 »

The Pacific Salt 2 and Sharpmaker rods came quick from SMKW. I am impressed with how light it is compared to the Endura. Speaking of which, I managed to find the lost Endura! It was hiding out in the bottom of a shop trash can under the liner. I have no idea how it got there, but I’m glad I have it back. I had been wanting the Pacific Salt 2 anyway…
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The diamond rods are not your only Sharpmaker ones, I hope? They’ll cut that LC200N like it isn’t there, and soon it won’t be. They’re for another project, right?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Yes, I also have the brown and white that came with it. I bought the diamond to quickly set the bevel to 30 degrees on any knife I have not yet sharpened before setting a micro-bevel of 40 with the brown rods. It took a bit of work on the brown rods to get to 30 degrees with my VG10 endura and to work out an imperfection in the blade of a Delica. My hope is the diamond rods make that initial edge setting quicker. Once it is set, it will be brown rods only at 40 degrees.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:27 pm
The diamond rods are not your only Sharpmaker ones, I hope? They’ll cut that LC200N like it isn’t there, and soon it won’t be. They’re for another project, right?
This is just not a problem at all. I've used a variety of diamond stones on everything for quite a while now and haven't ground away blades any worse than any other stone. You just stop sharpening when you're finished, the fact that you get to "finished" quicker is a feature, not a bug.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

K1500 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 am
Yes, I also have the brown and white that came with it. I bought the diamond to quickly set the bevel to 30 degrees on any knife I have not yet sharpened before setting a micro-bevel of 40 with the brown rods. It took a bit of work on the brown rods to get to 30 degrees with my VG10 endura and to work out an imperfection in the blade of a Delica. My hope is the diamond rods make that initial edge setting quicker. Once it is set, it will be brown rods only at 40 degrees.
:)
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am
wrdwrght wrote:
This is just not a problem at all. I've used a variety of diamond stones on everything for quite a while now and haven't ground away blades any worse than any other stone. You just stop sharpening when you're finished, the fact that you get to "finished" quicker is a feature, not a bug.
This is true.

I put over 100 strokes on my SE LC200N Pacific Salt using the diamond rods at 15 degrees and I haven't even reprofiled the top half of the bevel.

:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Do you alternate heel to tip and tip to heel?
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:14 am
Do you alternate heel to tip and tip to heel?
When reprofiling I do, when touching up the edge I just do heel to tip.
:unicorn
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am
wrdwrght wrote:
This is true.

I put over 100 strokes on my SE LC200N Pacific Salt using the diamond rods at 15 degrees and I haven't even reprofiled the top half of the bevel.

OK, see - I have the CBN rods and have put literally 2000+ strokes on my Pacific Salt 2 in an effort to reprofile it to 15 degrees, and it looks almost exactly the same as yours. I also used 100-grit sandpaper for probably half the job as well (creased tightly to the rod).

So, why does it seem yours at "over 100 strokes" looks about the same as mine at 2000+ strokes? I know you have years more experience than me, but in the end, we're just going up/down/up/down right? Can you be doing that 20 TIMES better than I am?

What I'm doing is:
Heel-to-tip down, then back up tip-to-heel, for 10 (20 actual strokes)
Tip-to-heel down, then back up heel-to-tip, for 10 (20 actual strokes)

I'm going slowly and methodically, and I think doing a pretty good job of staying vertical; and I'm keeping the pressure light so avoid damaging the corners of the rods. I go through this process once or twice at a time, maybe 3-5 times per evening. Let's say around 300 strokes per evening, for probably close to two weeks - so actually closer to 3000+ strokes.

So - any insight is appreciated. One thing I was reminded of a few nights ago was to clean the rods more often. I've been cleaning them throughout the process, but could certainly do it more. I was probably going 2-3 days between cleanings. That could be a major culprit, so the night before last I started cleaning more often.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)