Info on cat & para3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

Info on cat & para3

Post by S-3 ranch »

I’m doing another group purchase, and liked the polestar
Thinking about cat’s and para3 lightweight but can’t find much about them, like the idea of bd1n
Any information on cat ? Or ideas about comparable knives not 8cr13
TIA :spyder:
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Re: Info on cat & para3

Post by ugaarguy »

The Cat and the Para 3 are similar only in blade steel if you're talking the Para 3 LW. Otherwise, different countries of origin, different handle materials, different locks, different hole hump heights, different blade lengths. The Alcyone is much closer in size to the Para 3 than the Polestar. What's the goal of your group buy?

Other ideas? The Sage 5 LW, which is the better FRN scale comp lock knife than the Para 3 LW. Or a Chaparral LW if you want a great knife for under $100. Or the Native 5 LW that's the better version of the Delica.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Is this a group purchase like to give away to a bunch of people? If so, I would go Cat 100% unless these are confirmed knife people. The Cat is something that your average person would actually feel comfortable using and carrying. BD1N is a perfectly good steel for everyday purposes.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Ric

Post by Ric »

I like to throw in the Dragonfly.
Lil Native as well. Might be Delica also.

You can go to e.g. BladeHQ and enter the parameters and see what is there.

I highly recommend the Para 3 lightweight and Dragonfly!!
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 pm
Is this a group purchase like to give away to a bunch of people? If so, I would go Cat 100% unless these are confirmed knife people. The Cat is something that your average person would actually feel comfortable using and carrying. BD1N is a perfectly good steel for everyday purposes.
Yes , group purchase, give to guest and ranch hands , mainly yoeman /Genral duty stuff
Like helping open feed bags, cleaning deer and hogs, BD1 and bd1n steel is easy sharpening and
I liked spyderco QC and ergonomic so a cat or polestar/ raven2 fits that parameter
Just don’t hear much about the cat
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i love my cat. bd1n is great steel. i do also own a para 3 but not the frn version. i didnt get the frn version and probably wont because of of it being linerless or half liner really. if you really like the para 3 and want that size the sage 5 frn is about the same price but s30v is a little upgrade too. for a work knife i would get the sage 5 or para 3 size wise.

either way i own both and love both.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

For a working knife like that, I'd go Para 3 LW - a 3" blade is a nice user length, I think the Cat is going to be too small. The Raven , Polestar, and Tenacious are nice, affordable options too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 pm
I disagree. I find that non-knife-people find the para 3 intuitive and enjoyable to use.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The Cat is one of my favorite Spyderco designs and IMO the most underrated knife in the Spyderco lineup. I have used a Cat around my dad’s farm for years and most of the time it is all of the blade that you need unless cutting rope, canvas, or building something. I wouldn’t choose it for field dressing game though. Boar in particular can be particularly gnarly on a blade and there are a host of other fixed blade options out there for game.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

If these knives will be used to field dress sizable animals certain things need to be met.
1. The blade steel should be in the midrange of quality steels.
2. The knife handle should be large enough to hang on to when things get slick.
3. Since this is a group purchase the model chosen should be budget priced (unless price isn't a factor).

Considering these points will rule out many models including the cat which is a good knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Cat is where it’s at.

Love mine. Will never part with it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

lilshaver wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 am
If these knives will be used to field dress sizable animals certain things need to be met.
1. The blade steel should be in the midrange of quality steels.
2. The knife handle should be large enough to hang on to when things get slick.
3. Since this is a group purchase the model chosen should be budget priced (unless price isn't a factor).

Considering these points will rule out many models including the cat which is a good knife.
I agree on whenever butchering hogs it’s hard on a knife, and I supply some heavier gear

aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m surprised you can’t find much about the p3lw! It’s tied with the pm2 as my favorite Spyderco and probably just barely beating out the 940 and the Quiet Carry Drift as my favorite small/lightweight knife. Light but strong, ergonomic, available in a variety of steels if you watch for sprints (I have two, one in m390 and one in s90v). Very fidgety if you care for that.

There are a lot of reviews on YouTube, I’d check there for more info!

Edit: come to think of it, it’s probably tied with the pm2 and 940 as my favorite knife overall. I know, so vanilla of me