Sharpening service with aftermarket scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PurplePega

Sharpening service with aftermarket scales?

Post by PurplePega »

Hello! New Spyderco Para 3 owner here. I bought a blurple Para 3 with s110v steel and I'm looking to put some aftermarket CF scales on it, as I am finding the g1 to be far too rough a texture for my tastes. I'm also keenly aware that my sharpening skills are not up to the task of keeping an s110v knife in top shape, and would like to use the Spyderco sharpening service to maintain the knife. Question is, will Spyderco still provide the service for an otherwise undamaged knife that has aftermarket scales installed? Thanks.
Michael Janich

Re: Sharpening service with aftermarket scales?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear PurplePega:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Welcome.

I don't think that they would refuse to sharpen it for you just because it had aftermarket scales on it. I also recommend buying a Spyderco Sharpmaker. The price has gone up a little in the last few years, but it will be money well spent, especially if you are new to sharpening. It's a pretty fool proof system for Spyderco knives or anything under 40° inclusive edge angle, and Spyderco started out making sharpeners before they were making knives. The instructional DVD (or youtube) walk you through sharpening almost anything with the Sharpmaker.

Anyway, I'm sure others here will also give answers, enjoy your time here.

Edit to add: After reading your post again I see that it is S110V, maybe that is why you are unsure of sharpening...if so that is understandable, but I would change my suggestion above slightly, by saying to touch up on the Sharpmaker early and often. Don't go crazy and just grind your edge away needlessly, but don't let your knife get "dull", if you notice the sharpness start to slip, then just make 10-15 passes on the Sharpmaker.
So it goes.
PurplePega

Post by PurplePega »

Hey, thanks Airlsee! I do have a sharpmaker, but it's my understanding that s110v steel is in a whole other world in terms of getting a proper edge on it. I'm just thinking ahead.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Just to let you know I've had success keeping my 110V UKPK shaving sharp on the sharpmaker using ceramic rods. As Airlsee said just make sure you don't let it get dull. I touch mine up regularly and have had no issues.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I also have a set of Venev stones, and like Sam, I also have a S110V UKPK that has been used a ton and sharpened a ton on nothing but Spyderco M, F & UF stones.

Don't let it get dull.

I normally sharpen it on the brown/M stones and then just make a few passes on the white/F. That's my preferred edge on S110V, it will also perform really well straight off the M stones alone.
So it goes.
foofie

Post by foofie »

PurplePega wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:44 pm
...I'm looking to put some aftermarket CF scales on it, as I am finding the g1 to be far too rough a texture for my tastes.
If the roughness is the main issue - you could also take a higher grit sandpaper to the scales and smooth them a bit? Very lightly at 220? Or even start at 400? I personally love aftermarket scales, just giving you another option.

And - use a respirator if you are sanding g10.