Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kid

Post by Kid »

Hello, new member here but long time lurker. Wanted to introduce myself for my first post. I bought my first Spyderco back in 1998 with my dad to use in the National Scout Jamboree when I was in high school. It was a Delica with black Zytel handle and half serrated aus8 blade. Not a lot of Spydercos available back then in the Philippines but I do remember seeing Q model and a few zytel models with built in carabiner in the handle. This started my interest in knives. I have since been saving up my allowance and Christmas money to buy a knife. Fast forward to present day I now live in the States and enjoy collecting knives. However I keep going back to Spyderco as my daily carry and use knife. My current in use models are Manix lw, Shaman and lil native. I started following the forum closely when Shaman Z wear was released and thanks to the members I was able to get one(my wife actually found the post at 6am). It is wonderful to see Sal and the crew being very active and so helpful. Thanks for reading.

Kris
sal

Re: New member

Post by sal »

Hi Kris,

Welcome to our forum (again, I saw you in the contest thread).

Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Welcome aboard Kid, enjoy your stay and share some knowledge.
So it goes.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Hello and welcome!

The Shaman Z-Wear is a great knife. One of my favorites too.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Welcome! If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from in the Philippines? My wife is from Kalinga. Very beautiful place.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome aboard, Kid!

The Z-Wear Shaman has seen more pocket time than anything else since I picked it up - great choice there.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hello and welcome!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Kid

Post by Kid »

Thanks Sal and everyone for the warm welcome!

@Freediver I’m from Quezon City. I haven’t been to Kalinga but heard it’s beautiful there.

I love the micarta on the Z wear. I like how it picks up oil and sweat from the hands to give it character. I purposely put my plain ti handle knife with my keys in the same pocket to pick up marks. I personally prefer the distressed look to it.

I enjoy trying out and learning these new steels. For now, all I can share are things Not to do such as fixing scratches on a blade by using sand paper 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit without practicing first on a knife that is not valuable to you. Did this to my first Delica and realized I flattened the grind. Sent it to Spyderco and they fixed it and did a great job.

Looking forward to sharing things and learning from all of you.

Kris
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Welcome aboard mate!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello! Good to have you here!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Welcome, Kris!

When I was stationed in Panama (been to the Philippines as well), the Spyderco Delica SE with black Zytel/FRN scales and integral pocket clip was one of the few :spyder: s available at the base exchange, but it certainly was a good one to have. The Spyderco Manix is a favorite of mine, especially the old C95G model. And, yes, Spyderco is one of the brands I stay with for my EDC.

Enjoy your stay!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Kid wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Hello, new member here but long time lurker. Wanted to introduce myself for my first post. I bought my first Spyderco back in 1998 with my dad to use in the National Scout Jamboree when I was in high school. It was a Delica with black Zytel handle and half serrated aus8 blade. Not a lot of Spydercos available back then in the Philippines but I do remember seeing Q model and a few zytel models with built in carabiner in the handle. This started my interest in knives. I have since been saving up my allowance and Christmas money to buy a knife. Fast forward to present day I now live in the States and enjoy collecting knives. However I keep going back to Spyderco as my daily carry and use knife. My current in use models are Manix lw, Shaman and lil native. I started following the forum closely when Shaman Z wear was released and thanks to the members I was able to get one(my wife actually found the post at 6am). It is wonderful to see Sal and the crew being very active and so helpful. Thanks for reading.

Kris

Welcome! :)

Was this at the old American military base at Clark Air Field?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Welcome. I remember in the 90s when Hahn Manila and PB Dionisio were the only places that had a decent selection of quality folding knives. Things are much better now, with a variety of vendors across the country.
Kid

Post by Kid »

Water Bug wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:18 pm
Welcome, Kris!

When I was stationed in Panama (been to the Philippines as well), the Spyderco Delica SE with black Zytel/FRN scales and integral pocket clip was one of the few :spyder: s available at the base exchange, but it certainly was a good one to have. The Spyderco Manix is a favorite of mine, especially the old C95G model. And, yes, Spyderco is one of the brands I stay with for my EDC.

Enjoy your stay!
Spyderco Manix all the way! I only have experience using the lw Rex but I like how solid it feels despite being a lightweight model.
Kid

Post by Kid »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm
Kid wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Kris

Welcome! :)

Was this at the old American military base at Clark Air Field?
Yes! It was the World Scout Centennial jamboree at Clark Air base in Angeles City, Pampanga. Fun times.
Kid

Post by Kid »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:38 pm
Welcome. I remember in the 90s when Hahn Manila and PB Dionisio were the only places that had a decent selection of quality folding knives. Things are much better now, with a variety of vendors across the country.
I remember spending all day looking at knives at Hahn Manila in SM City North and Mega Mall. :)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ I used to visit their stores every few weeks after work and do the same thing. I kept coming back to visit a Spyderco Endura that I wanted to buy, which eventually became my first Spydie.
attila

Post by attila »

Welcome!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5